It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Consciousness Collective?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Global Consciousness Project

Research over the years seems to indicate that consciousness has a statistically significant impact on physical reality. The testing machines used are called Random Event Generators. They are based on fundamental quantum mechanics, and randomly spit out 1's and 0's in huge numbers. Using this machine is like flipping a million quarters, but more accurate.

This research has made a curious observation. Test subjects spent time in front of these machines, willing a 1 or 0 in a great many controlled experiments. Results found that when test subjects all willed a certain number (1, 0), the random event generators random results began to lean toward the number being thought of. While the statistics mean nothing to our lives as we are aware, scientifically they are more than sufficient to raise serious questions about the consciousness' seeming ability to influence physical reality, if only on a quantum scale.

This clearly implies that consciousness is able to communicate and interact with physical reality on some level. This is notable because science has traditionally thought of the consciousness as being a product of the body. While this may yet be true, it does raise very imporant question about the extent to which our minds can potentially influence our world.

There is strong evidence to support the theory that our consciousness interacts with physical reality. Is my consciousness also able to communicate with the consciousness of others?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I believe that it is possible. Here is an interesting video that describes something along these lines.

video.google.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Consciosness is singular and not collective. It can affect the physical condition of the body it resides in and other bodies close to it on a low level. I suppose people will say does that mean humans are telepathic,
i think yes and i have a good reason for saying this.
We could also assume that all things in the universe are connected since all things are made of the same fundamental particles.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Rupert Sheldrake's theory of morphic resonance may shed some light on this.

The fields organizing the activity of the nervous system are likewise inherited through morphic resonance, conveying a collective, instinctive memory. Each individual both draws upon and contributes to the collective memory of the species. This means that new patterns of behaviour can spread more rapidly than would otherwise be possible. Foe example, if rats of a particular breed learn a new trick in Harvard, then rats of that breed should be able to learn the same trick faster all over the world, say in Edinburgh and Melbourne. There is already evidence from laboratory experiments (discussed in A NEW SCIENCE OF LIFE) that this actually happens.
The resonance of a brain with its own past states also helps to explain the memories of individual animals and humans. There is no need for all memories to be “stored” inside the brain.
Social groups are likewise organized by fields, as in schools of fish and flocks of birds. Human societies have memories that are transmitted through the culture of the group, and are most explicitly communicated through the ritual re-enactment of a founding story or myth, as in the Jewish Passover celebration, the Christian Holy Communion and the American thanksgiving dinner, through which the past become present through a kind of resonance with those who have performed the same rituals before.

Read more here

More papers on morphic resonance

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by squiz
Rupert Sheldrake's theory of morphic resonance may shed some light on this.

Very interesting read. This almost seems to be what Socrates and Plato were getting at with their idea of "forms." With the difference of the forms already being perfect, and these fields ever evolving. The philosophers and scientists of old never cease to amaze me.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesun
Consciosness is singular and not collective. It can affect the physical condition of the body it resides in and other bodies close to it on a low level. I suppose people will say does that mean humans are telepathic,
i think yes and i have a good reason for saying this.
We could also assume that all things in the universe are connected since all things are made of the same fundamental particles.

Consciousness can be both singular and collective simultaneously. How we think does influence our physical bodies more than it influences anything else at this point, and has for years. Humans aren't telepathic just because this discovery doesn't rule it out. Even if it is possible, it doesn't seem like enough of us are naturally adept at telepathy.

I agree, i would go on to assume that everything is connected in some fashion, consciousness being one of a multitude of different mediums within which reality exists.

top topics

join