It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney Australia Urged to Pack Emergency Bag In Case of Terrorist Attack or Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Sydney Australia Residence Urged to Pack Emergency Bag In Case of Terrorist Attack or Disaster

www.breitbart.com

Residents of Sydney, Australia's biggest city, were urged Tuesday to pack "Go-Bags" containing maps, radios and running shoes in case a natural disaster strikes or terrorists attack.
The authorities in the cosmopolitan city, ranked among the world's most beautiful, also advised inhabitants that as they dash out the door "you can carry your cat in a cotton pillow case."

The launch of the campaign by Lord Mayor Clover Moore drew immediate scorn from some newspapers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Yet another call for people to be ready for terrorist activity and from Australia no less, everybody seems so ready for something to happen. Makes me wonder if higher government officials know something more than the average man on the street.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Support the war!

"We must fight the enemy, in Afghanistan, and Iraq so that those of us who live in the free and democratic nations of the world will not have to live in fear of future terrorist attacks."

But just in case, get your Packed Emergency Bags ready!

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
well, I suppose that having a bag packed would probably be the safe thing to do, but it does little good without a passport, Aussies are basically standing on a big island, like the article states "where can we go??"

thats why I always keep an up-to-date passport ready, because you never know when you might want to jump ship.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This sort of sounds abit funny to me.....like the warnings in the US for "possible" terror attacks during their summer.

It could be the politicians wanted to keep fear in the minds of the public or it could be a hint that something is coming and this was a warning that probably shouldnt have got out.

Australia is a big brother / NWO state and to honestly tell ya, it would be nigh on impossible to pull off a real terrorist attack here, due to the fact there are a huge controls on weapons availability, liscencing registering of all fertilizer purchases over a certain amount, purchasing of chemical etc etc etc.

Thats not to say that it is impossible. Thou without covert government assistance you'd be hard pressed for any try hard terrorist to get his name on the news.

What the Australian public MUST be afraid of is the censorship of media over certain incidents. Let me explain -

Between 500-800kgs of fertilizer was stolen from a train whilst it was parked between journey in the Australian outback. I think it was early last year or late the year before. The train wasnt sitting still for too long and the amount taken that quickly would have been a large and very organised theft.

Alot of the articles on the net that have been up in relation to this incident seem to be disappearing.

This is a massive amount that "may" be used for a staged terror attack on Aussie soil.

Just seems funny, in Sydney they are telling everyone to get their "Go-Packs" ready and on the same day they send all their 8 Black Hawk squadron down to Melbourne for "exercises".

That and Johnny Howards downward slide in the polls coming up to the election and I think that Johnny may be scheming a "Bush" (read, staged terror attack) to garner public support back towards him.

I think he will resort to desperate measures and I wouldnt be surprised if it is staged in conjuction with an event in the US and Briatain at the same time for maximum impact.

The Terror Trojka of england, US and Australia.

Im going to get me bags ready........

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
This sort of sounds abit funny to me.....like the warnings in the US for "possible" terror attacks during their summer.

It could be the politicians wanted to keep fear in the minds of the public or it could be a hint that something is coming and this was a warning that probably shouldnt have got out.

Just seems funny, in Sydney they are telling everyone to get their "Go-Packs" ready and on the same day they send all their 8 Black Hawk squadron down to Melbourne for "exercises".

Yea, to tell everyone to get there "go packs " ready almost seems like they are trying to scare people.

It could be that they have some information on some undisclosed threat, ethier way people are going to freak when something does happen, because they have been building all of this up before hand.

The warning probably shouldn't have gone out like you said, but it's too late now. If something does happen, it will look like they had prior knowledge of the event. very interesting indeed.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I heard about all the threats they found regarding Australia.
Really strange to be honest, since we here in DK never really get any news about Australia butting into other countries affairs. But what the heck...

I couldn't help wonder in the very first post, in the quote it says "..natural disaster or...", now why bring that into the equation?
My own rationale says that it's to not upset the population too much by saying purely terrorist attack. In a sense that would be like saying they know someone is gonna bomb Sydney but they don't know what to do.

But what if the terrorist part is a trigger to prepare for natural disaster?
Even after the big tsunami people are still hesitant to believe that something big like that could come and affect their lives. But terrorism is something more or less tangible, easier to relate to.

Anyways, this was ofcourse free thought from my part. As he says...the most probable answer is probably the right one.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia

What the Australian public MUST be afraid of is the censorship of media over certain incidents. Let me explain -

Between 500-800kgs of fertilizer was stolen from a train whilst it was parked between journey in the Australian outback. I think it was early last year or late the year before. The train wasnt sitting still for too long and the amount taken that quickly would have been a large and very organised theft.

Alot of the articles on the net that have been up in relation to this incident seem to be disappearing.

I found this to be the most interesting... suddenly stories of this theft are disappearing? Why? Could it be to cover up any evidence of a home grown terror attack?

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Lol this is the most absurde thread.

There isn't going to be a terrorist attack in australia (AND SURE AS HELL JOHNY HOWARD WOULDN'T BE THE ONE TO DO IT!!! LOL ;-P)

But then again nothings for certain.

I really find this to be political scare tactic to be jsut a politician aka the lord mayor in sydney trying to get some publicity.... Elections coming up...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So almost no-one noticed that it also includes natural disasters? Parts of Sydney were declared natural disaster areas quite recently in 2001 and 2003 due to storms and flash floods. Maybe many people believe it could never happen to them and find themselves very unprepared when it does hit.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The story didn’t just reference preparing for terrorist attacks although this was mentioned. It was about planning for disasters ditto.

There have been a number of natural disasters of late and to be honest most people are not prepared so it makes sense that we should start thinking about this and do something about it. That said, in this day and age we should also prepare ourselves of a manmade attack. It may never happen but we have had an experience of bombing in Sydney some years back so we should never say ‘it won’t happen here’ – it did.

I think this is a good initiative but lets not beat it up into something it isn’t. It is merely commonsense.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Some people think this "go bag" campaign is just to scare people and make them afraid of an unknown enemy, natural or human.
When people are scared they wont think so straight anymore mostly.
Is that the actual purpose of this "go bag"

Just like the old "duck and cover" campaigns, they must have been a great money booster in the cold wars arms race fund raising.

A go bag is not very bad to have but i believe this one is just to scare people, not to help them.

I suppose the shrinking coalition of the willing is getting spastic for ideas.

The city's deputy mayor Chris Hill also mocked the A$200,000 (£85,400) campaign, suggesting Go Bags should contain sunglasses, inflatable waterwings, a Sydney good food guide and a one-way ticket to Barcelona.

"I find these fear campaigns personally offensive," said Mr Hill, a member of the Australian Green Party. "Where are we supposed to go with our Go Bags? With our current public transport problems, the roads would be clogged in minutes."

He said it smacked of a fear campaign run by the government in the run-up to the general election, due in a few months.

A government spokesman denied the claim, saying the campaign, backed up by posters and the distribution of 200,000 leaflets, had been in planning for the last two years, well before the announcement of an election.

www.guardian.co.uk...

top topics

join