It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Torn Between them.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Now I have a bit of a problem. I just had a Birthday and I just came into a little money. I have come to the decision to buy another Firearm.
I am not sure what to buy.
I will either buy a Taurus .38 Tracker,
A generic AK clone,
A 1938 worn Mauser K98 8mm,
Or a Mossberg 12ga pump.

I know that 8mm ammo is difficult to come by, and AK ammo is expensive. Alot of my peers have shotguns, but I don't have one.

Which one do you think I should get.

I am an Avid shooter, and I usually put alot of wear on my firearms. I am asking for ATS's wisdom here, because I am having a hard time figuring out what I want.

Please Help.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
On versatility alone...

The 12 gauge is the best choice... I'm not sure that I'd go with a Mossberg (there's nothing wrong with them, I just like other manufacturers better).

I have a lot of fun "plinking" with a 12... I get the light load boxes of 100 shells dirt cheap.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well I don't know what weapons you have in your household, but if you have mostly assault rifles and handguns, buy the shotgun.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well I see it like this:

I've got a Mossberg 12ga and it's a fine gun. You'd be happy with it.

Regarding the .38, any reason for that one? Cause I'd say get you a .357 and then if you want you can use .38 rounds in it to shoot cheap and keep a box of .357 around for "if you need 'em" .

How generic is the AK you're talking about? Those really depend. I/ family have got a few and most of them are Chinese built variants that are pretty good. I got a couple russian made ones that seem stout but I'm not really sure of. Plastic stocks, cheap and dirty looking. But they seem fairly good. I could see why you'd want one.

My old man's got a 8mm K98 and it's a beauty. He bought it at a Woolworth's years and years ago. Fine gun good sturdy and fairly accurate. Gonna cost you a bit to shoot it on a weekend though....

I'd say the Ak, or a .357, or the MB 12ga. Any of them is bound to make you happy.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If you dont have a shotgun go with that. It is an all around good gun to have. From bird shot to slugs and the ammo isnt real expensive. Great for hunting. I always like the 20 gauge pump, but automatic is nice also. I like Remington.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
One of my biggest problems is Money.
I have roughly 300$ to kill.
The Taurus is 250$
The AK is Chinese and will cost about 275$
The Mauser is in fair-to-poor shape and is 120$
and the Mossberg is 150$

I love the store I go to because the prices are great, and The service is awesome.

I do not own a shotgun, but I have fired one and enjoyed it very much.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
One of my biggest problems is Money.
and the Mossberg is 150$

I do not own a shotgun, but I have fired one and enjoyed it very much.

Me thinks you have made the case for the shotgun.

Roper

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer

I have roughly 300$ to kill.

The Mauser is in fair-to-poor shape and is 120$
and the Mossberg is 150$

Lets see, 120 plus 150 equals......standby.........mmmm....270 dollars!!!

I see a solution my friend and you gets 2 guns.

edit: 30 dollars for ammo

[edit on 16-7-2007 by earth2]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
earth2 has a point

I'd plunk down 270 for both of them.

Well that's a lie, I'd try to get 'em to come down a bit more on the 8mm
I'd say "Both for 250?"

And see what happens

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Damn.
I didn't even think of that.
1\3 of my moments blown away.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Gah ... I would *love* to have a gun of any kind lol - but I live in England where you're just not allowed at all :'( I suppose its good and bad - the dangerous crazy people would have one anyway and the people who would use it only as defence (and weekend fun ofc
) are not allowed because it's illegal
So we're sitting ducks without fun and coolness shooting cans and targets and stuff
Oh well...

At least I am allowed to have my Kung Fu weapons
lol

W00t 1st post - never posted on here before everything I ever had to say had already been said

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
For the price I think the Mossberg is the way to go I have 3 so far (a 20ga. and 2 12's) they take a beating and the parts seem to have a bit more give in them compared to the Remington 870's. I used to work at an Academy store down here in South Texas and customer's would constatnly take the Mossberg because of the price and the durability. I don't know much about the other guns you listed other than secondhand stories however I do like to shoot my S&W 686(586?) .357 with .38's so that would be my second choice.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just to let everyone know, I just got an even better deal.

I just bought a Llama Comanchee III .357 magnum, in good shape for
150$.
I have a little saved over, and I plan on buying the shotgun next.

www.bold-action.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Reading about AK ammo being expensive makes me weep. I remember when it was easy to find 1k rounds for ~70 or less. Last time I bought ammo for it was $70 for 500, and now it's probably $70 for 250. I took most of that 500 and sealed it away.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It really depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a rifle that is going to take a beating and will always work go for an AK. If you decide to go with the AK though, I would stay away from the Chinese versions as I have had many bad experiences with them. Go for a Romanian WASR-10 or spend a little extra and get a nice american made milled receiver clone.

If you don't already have a shotgun I would suggest getting one. Like many have already said, they are good all purpose weapons. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting this would also be a good choice since ammo is pretty much dirt cheap.

Either way both are very good choices. Just have fun and be safe with whatever you decide on!

top topics

join