It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

660 million dollar payout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Well well the big bad RCC of LA has to pay out for the abuse. The RCC needs to be closed in my book. They shame us to no end.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I would be pretty upset if I was a paying member of the church to find that my money was being used as an attempt to "right a wrong" or to provide therapy and lots of money to a young child who was taught to trust in that which preyed his innocence and took it from him.

It is just unspeakable that a church would even take steps to protect and overlook such behavior as they have so often in the past.

Down deep inside the hearts of a good portion of the Catholic priests is it actually alright to victimize these children? If not why has it continued for so long?

Money can't buy back what was taken.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What I find sad is that this is only a drop in the bucket for the RCC. They're worth billions upon billions.

Perhaps they need to rethink their celibate priesthood. It seems to draw men with certain proclivities I don't think becoming in the clergy.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What type of punishment would an adult human being that committed such acts against God's innocent children recieve in our society today? Rik Riley

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Why exactly is it mandatory to be celibate in order to be a priest? Jesus Christ never mentioned anything about staying celibate, and he's the real leader of Catholicism, not the pope. Celibacy encourages sexual thoughts because you have absolutely no outlet in order to remain hormonally healthy. Its biology, and the fact that you will one day break is inevitable. That's why Jesus never mentioned celibacy, its a stupid idea.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Jesus wasn't the leader of Catholicism. The RCC was setup by the Roman Empire in order to control a newly emergent and popular religion. That is why it is still full of idolatry and pagan practice.

Not that I am Christian anyway, just thought I'd point that out.

[edit on 18/7/07 by stumason]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The deal settles all 508 cases that remained against the archdiocese, which also paid $60 million in December to settle 45 cases that weren't covered by sexual abuse insurance.

The archdiocese will pay $250 million, insurance carriers will pay a combined $227 million and several religious orders will chip in $60 million.

I don't understand. This sounds like a bad idea, a special insurance plan you can get, just in case you 'accidentally' molest someone. I don't think that should be legal. I think the RCC should have to pay all the damages them self.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope we're around the corner wherein the RCC will realize that it is cheaper to simply defrock these priests than to have a massive and systematic coverup that eventually and expensively blows up in the end...

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
They have insurance for sexual abuse by clergy? Now I HAVE heard everything.

I have to Google this one ...

When a child is a victim of sexual abuse, is insurance coverage available to pay damages?

According to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court under Perreault v. Maine Bonding and Casualty Co., where the molester is the defendant in the civil action, the answer is certainly "no". Where, however, the civil defendant is not the molester but rather a third-party whose negligence allowed the abuse to occur, the Law Court's answer is "maybe."

www.bermansimmons.com...

Insurance Recoveries. In the report issued last year there was considerable detail provided with regard to the claims made by the Archdiocese against its insurers related to the cost of sexual abuse settlements. The report discussed a settlement reached in early 2005
between the Archdiocese and Lumbermens Mutual Insurance Company (the carrier which provided coverage for the Archdiocese from the mid-1950s until early 1983). As part of that settlement, the Archdiocese received $7 million which was allocated toward settling or defending then pending or future claims. Of that fund, $5,842,500 was used to fund the
settlements reached in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006. That fund also was used to pay $88,075 in related costs for arbitration fees

www.rcab.org...

Uh huh.

And here is the "leading insurer of worship centers in the United States."

www.churchmutual.com...

[edit on 18-7-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
As I said in my thread on this very topic a few days ago, anyone who puts money in a collection plate of an organization that says as a rule:

It is ok to diddle children two times but the third time your out..

IS NUTS!!! I do not get how anyone could put money in a plate that they could be assured is going to pay off victims. I think I know now why Mahoney wants all those Illegals made legal, SO HE HAS A NEW CROP OF BOYS...

I won't comment on the Cathlic Churches origination as someone has already pointed their history out. I will say however that this is getting sicker and sicker by the day but no one seems to care about it except REAL Christians and Non Christians... Funny that the so called NON CHristians can understand how wrong this is but so called godly people can't.

I say KUDOS to you non Christians that have a heart and a brain and a conscience!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
As I said in my thread on this very topic a few days ago, anyone who puts money in a collection plate of an organization that says as a rule:
It is ok to diddle children two times but the third time your out..

Please post a link to a site that substantiates your claim regarding this rule. Thanks.

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
IS NUTS!!! I do not get how anyone could put money in a plate that they could be assured is going to pay off victims.

Just something small the RCC does to try and help:

Source

Building modern, affordable housing for the working poor, then selling it below cost doesn't make sense. That's why Catholics do it here.

But that's not what you want to see - right? You want to see how bad Catholics are. That's cool, but a coin has 2 sides - as does every occupation.

Do you even know what the RCC church has done in the world and for poverty? Have you even the slightest idea? Money is put in the poor box, which is what it is for - the poor. It also keeps the church diocese running and affords the priest a small salary. The fact that (NOT ALL) priests abuse their power is far outweighed by the good the RCC has done and achieved. Those bad apples will get their day of judgement and i don't condone it at all.

This thread was spawned by Leyla because she wasn't getting enough attention in a previous thread. There is a thread that deals with corruption in the church and this has been thrashed out - time and time again.

Perhaps one day you will be in the position where you may unknowingly be helped or be afforded some sort of assistance which the RCC has put in place or initiated. Who knows.

[edit on 24/7/2007 by shearder]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The Roman Catholic Church is so pervasive on this planet that whenever
you spend money for anything, you're helping the RCC indirectly. There
is no escaping this unless you never spend another Nickle. -cwm

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
There
is no escaping this unless you never spend another Nickle. -cwm

Good thing I always lose my change.

But seriously, as a Christian i think the entire thing is horrid and the priests that do these things should be kicked out of the churches and be punished legally like everybody else. Its just plain wrong any way you look at it, Morally, Legally, as well as Spiritually.

And the whole insurance thing is not helping, its basically telling people that they expect it to happen again. If not then why the insurance, it would be like me getting boat insurance. And by the way I don't own a boat.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by bassistchris]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
But Jesus, they will say.
We prayed every Sunday, and broke bread.
And we had prayer meetings, and bible study,
and cast out demons in your name.
And saved the sinners.
And Jesus will say,
I do not know you.

And those waiting for the Rapture.
The weeds will be gathered first.

But keep giving your body (money) to the church.
That what they teach, isn't it.

And millions are just following them over the
bridge that doesn't reach the other side.

A better name for this excellent thread
would be the Abomination Of Desolation.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by stompk]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
Well well the big bad RCC of LA has to pay out for the abuse. The RCC needs to be closed in my book. They shame us to no end.

www.cnn.com...

Good post.. Now you know right where I am comming from and why my veiws get a little defensive. This thread really hits home for me and IM not to comfortable still talking about it in public places.. Its shamefull and will stick with me all my days..
But do know out of all my posts I never did blame God for that.. I blame the churches, and the preists.. Not to mention the sick people who keep on feeding them to allow them to keep on doing what they do.
Aslong as this subject is around, I will never touch foot in a church ever agin! God knows the love I have. Thats all I need, I dont need church or some guy in a robe to validate my soul.. God knows, and I know, thats all I need..

posted on Jul, 27 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I was raised a catholic, but I do not follow any religion ever since I first had the chance to refuse to go to church on sunday. I have seen this sort of fear and hypocrisy being spread all throughout the churches and it is not right. A preist in a church by where I live was charged for child molestation and they did not do anything about it legally! The RCC is one of the riches corporations in the world so, just like all corporations, when their big wigs get in trouble why not just throw money at it to make it go away? That is what anyone with money does, so why not the church?

They are jsut trying to protect their investments.

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by shearder

This thread was spawned by Leyla because she wasn't getting enough attention in a previous thread. There is a thread that deals with corruption in the church and this has been thrashed out - time and time again.

What I did not...This is about the 660 million lawsuit.

The only thing the RCC ever done was help themselves.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I agree Leyla. That $660 million could've helped alot of needy people,
yet the RCC is sitting on all that money, and who knows how much more.

They are evil, and they will destroy the rest of us, if the can.

Sorry, but I believe God is going to intervene, soon

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The 660 million the RCC has to pay out to the victims thus ordered by the courts. Im sure the RCC has much more money.

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Protestant churches also “buy” insurance coverage for abuse of children.

insurance journal

The article mentions three of the largest providers of insurance coverage for clergy, church staff, volunteers, religious schools, camps and other organizations. They represent a large number of protestant churches.

They report that because protestant denominations are less centralized and some are independent that statistics are harder to come by.

It also appears that there is a “code of silence” involved with the protestant churches.

A victims' advocacy group has said the Southern Baptists, the nation's largest Protestant denomination, could do more to prevent abuse by creating a list of accused clergy the public and churches could access.

Some sports programs involving children also require insurance.

[edit on 7/31/2007 by Mahree]

new topics

top topics

join