It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An archaeologist reviews "Search for Hatshepsut's Mummy"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This blog is a worthwhile read -- it's a critique (and let me add, not a negative one!) of the Discovery Channel program on the search for Hatshepsut. What's interesting (and may interest y'all) is the analysis he does of the of the film.

He includes interesting tidbits and observations such as:

Next up is the scary "screaming one" (DB320A), and here's another problem with the show. It has fallen victim to Screaming Mummy Syndrome, or SMS. Normally a mummy's mouth was held tightly shut by the wrappings, but sometimes that didn't happen and the jaw dropped down, so it looks like the mummy is screaming. You can see that in other Egyptian mummies (such as Unknown Man E from Deir el-Bahri) and most recent bodies, like some of the desiccated corpses at Palermo, Sicily. It is not, however, the person's final, agonized death scream.

...which is something that's obvious only if you've read a lot about mummies. So now YOU know, and you can bring it up as dinner conversation next time you're eating with the family.

You can also liven up business lunches with material like:

Some 18th Dynasty queens were mummified with their left hand held high and diagonally across their chest, and several pharaohs have both hands across their chest.

Okay. Maybe I'm the only one who can get away with that sort of stuff as table conversation (my family's used to it, and I hang out with archaeology and anthropology students)... but, still, it's an excellent article (with a few typos) and a fascinating read.

www.archaeology.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
That is very interesting. I recently watched the documentary involving the possible discovery of Nefertiti by Dr. Fletcher. I had always thought that only Pharohs had the right arm crossed over the chest? When they discovered the discarded right arm in a corner, it seemed to match up perfectly. This was one of the primary reasons I was buying into it.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EdenKaia
That is very interesting. I recently watched the documentary involving the possible discovery of Nefertiti by Dr. Fletcher. I had always thought that only Pharohs had the right arm crossed over the chest? When they discovered the discarded right arm in a corner, it seemed to match up perfectly. This was one of the primary reasons I was buying into it.

I think I recall something of that nature... Hatshepsut's mummy has one arm crossed over her chest. That might indicate that "Nefertiti" is actually another of the female pharoahs (there were several, actually, including a whole bunch of Cleopatras (Caesar's Cleopatra was the 6th one.)

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
But there's some conjecture on Nefertiti being a Pharoh, as she "supposedly" died before her husband. I don't buy that though. If you look at the reconstruction of his sarcophogus, you can clearly see her sort of leading him into the next world.

top topics

join