It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General Pace: Second Iraq Troop Surge Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

General Pace: Second Iraq Troop Surge Possible

sfgate.com

The U.S. military's top general said Monday that the Joint Chiefs of Staff is weighing a range of possible new directions in Iraq, including, if President Bush deems it necessary, an even bigger troop buildup.

Making no predictions, Marine Gen. Peter Pace revealed that he and the chiefs of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force are obliged to consider various troop-level scenarios before September, when Bush will receive an assessment of the Iraq situation from his top commander there,
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/16/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The ability to alter events on the ground seems to have been lost after the first few months post Saddam. The first surge seems to have done almost nothing and in fact the security situation looks even worse and Is beginning to resemble an even more out of control Beirut.

sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There was an ex Major General from the Brit army talking today on Sky News, the subject was about casualties in Iraq being almost on par with the world wars.

He then said that what was needed was an increase in troops as it was the lack of troops that was causing reoccuring casualties.

I'm not sure if an increase in troops is a general feeling in the British army, but i will be interested to see what George Brown does with this now.

CX.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well... people were against the surge since there was talk about it. Then the spineless congress went along with it... The american people want to get the troops out of this mess... but the government don't care, AGAIN. Democracy my ...

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The problem is two fold.
The first part of the problem is that the number of troops required to secure Iraq should have been in place to begin with or in the very least the troop surge or surges should have taken place when the insurgency began. Also due to the Surge being an gradual build up the enemy had time to adjust his tactics.
Instead Rumsfeld and co were quiet happy to let the insurgency run riot in order to preserve there own pride and egos.

The second part of the problem is that while the troop surge has had some positive effects the US military doesn't have enough troops to do the same in the other urban areas of Iraq. In terms of Iraq the last straw for me was when the US military leaders came out and said that the war couldn't be won military.

I have been wondering what does Bush do come September ?
Another surge could be his way of passing the Iraq problem onto someone else.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by xpert11]

new topics

top topics

join