It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK expels four Russian diplomats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

UK expels four Russian diplomats

news.bbc.co.uk

The UK is to expel four Russian diplomats in response to Moscow's refusal to extradite the prime suspect in the murder of Alexander Litvinenko.

Foreign Secretary David Miliband also said co-operation with Russia on a range of issues was under review.

Prosecutors want Andrei Lugovoi, an ex-KGB officer, to face trial in the UK. He denies involvement.

Former KGB agent Mr Litvinenko died of exposure to radioactive polonium-210 in London in November 2006.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It does seem that the law in Russia may or may not be used to the letter depending on any given situation. Perhaps moves like this will show them they have to cooperate with other nations. Then again when has Russia ever responded positively to something generated through politics?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Muppetus, I have same question toward Great B. It habors most formidable terrorists and outlaws of all...Berezovsky, Zakaev -- wanted not by Russia only but numerous countries! Britain has become puke cesspool world vermin terrorist US bloody # doll driven by CNN/BBC propoganda color alert masturbation, designed to cheer blind, folks like you, into fear of your own shadow.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Then again when has Russia ever responded positively to something generated through politics?

Well Russia has said that the UK will suffer consiquences for expelling these Diplomats. Unless theymean they are going to attack the UK. Their threats are falling on death ears. If Russia has nothing to hide, then why not hand over the guy the UK Police want to question? Oh I already know Bitdust is Anti British, go else and spread you venom will you. Look to ur own country frist of all before you criticse the UK..

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitDust
Muppetus, I have same question toward Great B. It habors most formidable terrorists and outlaws of all...Berezovsky, Zakaev -- wanted not by Russia only but numerous countries! Britain has become puke cesspool world vermin terrorist US bloody # doll driven by CNN/BBC propoganda color alert masturbation, designed to cheer blind, folks like you, into fear of your own shadow.

You say you have a question but then proceed to vomit forth that rubbish. Not very nice.

As for the expulsions, it's normal tit-for-tat stuff.

I don't expect this situation to be resolved soon, to be honest, if at all.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I would have thought that the threat of disruption to Britain's gas supply would have kept Brown quiet, unless he is banking on this coming winter being a mild one. Worrying times. I thought the comment about "color alert masturbation" quite insightful.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Well Russia has said that the UK will suffer consiquences for expelling these Diplomats. Unless theymean they are going to attack the UK. Their threats are falling on death ears. If Russia has nothing to hide, then why not hand over the guy the UK Police want to question?

Well, the Russians claim he won't receive a fair trial! The cheek! British justice is probably the fairest you'll get anywhere. Heck, we'd probably even pay his legal fee's!

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said the UK will make "no apologies" for expelling four Russian diplomats.

On a visit to Berlin on Monday, Mr Brown said: "I think people will understand that, when a murder takes place, when a number of innocent civilians were put at risk as a result of that murder, and when an independent prosecuting authority makes it absolutely clear what is in the interests of justice, and there is no forthcoming co-operation, then action has to be taken."

I agree with Gordon Brown, why should he apologise, if Russia co-operated then, there would be not need to take this action... An unprovoked murder took place in the UK, so those who are suspects should be tried in the UK.

I would have thought that the threat of disruption to Britain's gas supply

Ya know that crossed my mind. Ya think Russia will do this? Wonder hos it will effect our energy supplies if they do.

Heck, we'd probably even pay his legal fee's!

Exactly the tax payer will probably have to foot the bill for costs of putting himon trial..

[edit on 16-7-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karilla
I would have thought that the threat of disruption to Britain's gas supply would have kept Brown quiet, unless he is banking on this coming winter being a mild one. Worrying times. I thought the comment about "color alert masturbation" quite insightful.

Judging by this article (granted, it is 18 months old), the UK currently imports no gas from Russia.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Algeria is also a major exporter of Gas to Europe too.

Even if we did import gas from Russia, it is piped into Europe first and through several countries. I'm not sure Russia could turn off UK supplies without pissing off Europe as a whole.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
*SNIP*
Not read my above post, no?

Most of our Gas comes from our own fields and Norway, apparently.... I highly doubt your 60% figure, in fact, I don't believe it at all.

Also, I don't suppose you'd mind not taking every opportunity to piss all over the UK?

No one here is doing that with Russia. I could go on for the whole 4000 characters I'm allowed to post with about Russia's shortcomings, but I won't...

EDIT: In 2006, the UK imported around 12% of it's Gas, the rest being supplied internally. So your 60% figure is crock.

Source

[edit on 16/7/07 by stumason]

Mod Edit: Removed Quote.

[edit on 16/7/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Dude, I'm not reading any further...your nothern fields will deplete in a matter of a year. Check data. On a contraray, why my point is lost and I become an enemy? Why business with Russia is 'bad'?
How about business?
We sell you pay.
Isn't it free market? No one is going to pressure anyone to do anything against thier will, to bomb anyone, to dictate, to demand, to rule, to extort, to gain, to rob, to kill for profit, to rape, to be buried alive, to poison, to be a world cop, to overrun, lie, set traps, lend money for eternal dependency...
Just stop please seeing us though the eyes of BBC and Brown! Please.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Not entirely sure what it is your gibbering about there, chap.

Our North Sea oil fields are depleting, but Gas production is sufficient for a significant chunk of our needs. If we only needed to import 12% in 2006, I don't see a dire need to import that much more over the next year or so.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
stumason, so it's ok to power trip for now? To claim Folklands, miles away from your shore, having young kids maimed in Iraq and Afganistan in thousands, when we ALL KNOW this is Uncle Sam's war to make new profitable and geo politicaly convinient colonies. He promissed you a slack of it?
Kill kill and kill in Iraq blindly.
Just so you know -- every time US or UK solder is killed --- 99.9% of people capable of reading, rejoy. Food for thoughts.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well i can read and i personally dont rejoice the death of any soldier

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The only gas you going to have, with this attitude of yours, is when you eat dish of beans for breakfast.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   

stumason, so it's ok to power trip for now?

Who's power tripping? It's Russia who plays geo-politics with it's Natural Resources...

To claim Folklands, miles away from your shore,

Not really the topic for discussion, but at least they have British people on them, as opposed to Russia claiming territory full of Non-Russians who want independence.....

having young kids maimed in Iraq and Afganistan in thousands, when we ALL KNOW this is Uncle Sam's war to make new profitable and geo politicaly convinient colonies. He promissed you a slack of it?
Kill kill and kill in Iraq blindly.

I don't actually support the War in Iraq, although Afghanistan is right. It's the Soviet Unions fault that the Taliban where there in the first place, but I suppose you ignore that....

Just so you know -- every time US or UK solder is killed --- 99.9% of people capable of reading, rejoy. Food for thoughts.

Do they now?

Basically mate, it boils down to thus...

Russia is refusing to hand over a suspect in a murder of a British citizen. If the roles where reversed, what would Russia do? Probably more than expel some diplomats (intelligence officers - Spies), I suspect you'd play the old "cut off your gas" rouse that you like to employ in order to bully smaller nations into complying...

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Ah, so ...Russia plays geo politics by having gas? How interesting!
What geo politics? She pays state of California non-profit organizations to gain a slack, to stir opinion, to bribe Congress infidels to push her interests??
You are nuts!
Russia is the most peaceful nation in a world. Just compare, how many wars did fight USA for the last 60 years and Russia for the same time period.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just what about this Litvinenko? Your solders are killing hundreds of people in Iraq per day, *snip*!

Mod edit: Insult removed

[edit on 2007/7/16 by Hellmutt]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join