It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Blame Internet For Neglect Of Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Couple Blame Internet For Neglect Of Children

news.yahoo.com

RENO, Nev. - A couple who authorities say were so obsessed with the Internet and video games that they left their babies starving and suffering other health problems have pleaded guilty to child neglect. The children of Michael and Iana Straw, a boy age 22 months and a girl age 11 months, were severely malnourished and near death last month when doctors saw them after social workers took them to a hospital, authorities said. Both children are doing well and gaining weight in foster care, prosecutor Kelli Ann Viloria told the Reno Gazette-Journal.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My goodness, I mean, I know that I sometimes spend more time online that I should, but to not feed your children, to leave them in this condition, day after day.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That is absolutely disgusting. I'm online on and off all day, but I take care of my kids. I'm just surprised that pair had time to actually make kids if they're that addicted to surfing the net.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I can remember early on, when I first got online, I'd spend 4-5 hours a day online, but anytime, the wife or daughter needed me, I'd get right up and go to them.

They were always the first and most important things in my life, I'd spend time with them in the evenings and usually hit the net after they were in bed.

Priorities, you must have them and keep them in check.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Absolutely horrendous. I do believe that now I've heard everything.
Not taking care of your children? And blaming it on the net? There truly are some sick SOB's out there. They couldn't feed their children, but I bet they found time to nourish themselves.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Absolutely horrendous. I do believe that now I've heard everything.
Not taking care of your children? And blaming it on the net? There truly are some sick SOB's out there. They couldn't feed their children, but I bet they found time to nourish themselves.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
And to think we will again waste thousands in a courtroom where someone will actually try to defend these pieces of ****! They should have their children taken from them and both be fixed and NOT allowed to ever have children again...NO EXCUSE for this!!!

On top of that, not be allowed internet access for 10 years

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This is just another case of selfishness and immaturity. Watch them try to blame this on a disease or addiction to the internet and get a light sentence rather than giving them the heavy sentence they need to whip their selfish little butts into place.

How can someone be so into a game on the internet that they don't hear their child crying?? If anything, you'd think the crying would irritate them enough that they'd get off the computer and feed them just so they'd shut up! Sheesh.

Poor little kids. Two more children neglected and put into the system.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ive said it once Ill say it again.

In order to be a registered nurse, you have to go to school from 3-4 years and PASS a mandated test before you can actually care for children.

Before you drive a truck ditto
Before you fly a plane? you betcha

Before you have a kid? the only requirment is that you have raging hormones and a lack of understanding of or unwillingness to use birth control.

Not even a class on how to be a parent. :shk:

We have a saying in the ICU: The least desireable you are as a parent, the inversely more fertile you are.

[edit on 7/16/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Fred I agree 100%...these days with as many UNFIT people as we have and a system that allows any/all types of abuse, we really do need to start regulating child birth. As unpopular as this is, it is the only option left, since I and MANY others are getting sick and tired of paying and supporting everyone else's kids.

And for all of you wanting say thats wrong, blah blah blah then each time you get your paycheck from work take an extra $150 out of your paycheck and YOU support these scumbags and the system that allows for such BS!

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
FredT, I'd fear the day that we were forced to take classes, or go to school, or meet some other prerequisite before we're allowed to have children. These people suck of course, but that's where evolution comes in. I guess this is a case of the state interrupting natural selection, which is almost as bad sociologically and evolutionarily.

However, personally, societally, god bless these social workers for getting those kids out in time. I'm glad it wasn't another case like those vegans who killed their baby.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Couple Blame Internet...

Of course, they have to blame it on something other then themselfes for their lack of self control and bad parenting skills, among other things :shk:

new topics

top topics

join