It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Need To Start A New Thread...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Over the weekend and twice today already, I've opened up a recently created thread and the opening remarks were similar to

"I read this in another thread" or "in thread XYZ, the OP states ABC and..."

Jeez people, just add your comments to those threads. If what you have to say is really important enough to post and you want people to read it and comment, just add to the existing discussion.

I don't like to and won't jump between 2 threads to cover a topic, I'll just move on and go read something else.

So please, consider if making a new thread is the correct path to take or if your comments / views are more likely to receive a response in the existing thread you're in.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Sounds like good advice, elevatedone.

This is much worse than starting a new thread, not knowing that there is another thread discussing the same topic. (That is why we have SEVERAL search functions)

Oh, and by the way, isn't this already covered in another thread?

edit to add:

Actually there is something worse than this, though. It is starting a new thread without even doing a casual search, to see if the topic already exists.

And for your scenario, it might be possible to for the need to cover different aspects of the same topic in the new thread, but adding to the original thread, the material presented in the newer thread might be considered off-topic for the original thread. Could this be the case, or is it an outright duplicate?

edited to add, and clarity.

[edit on 7/16/07 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Oh, and by the way, isn't this already covered in another thread?

I'm sure it has been, I looked over the first two pages of the "board business forum" didn't see anything.

I didn't use the search function itself, still don't always get good results, but at least I did "search" a little.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I'm sure it has been, I looked over the first two pages of the "board business forum" didn't see anything.

I really have no idea if there is or not, was just adding a little humor.

I didn't use the search function itself.....

Ooooh! I'm tellin'.

j/k, if you haven't figured that out already.

I have also edited my previous post to reflect on a possible reason for at least *some* of the seemingly duplicate threads out there.

The 9/11 forum is an example of many seemingly duplicate topics, but *most of the time* the second, third, etc., thread covers a slightly different aspect than the original. At least that is what I think could be happening in some instances.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I do see a point to starting a new thread on the same topic sometimes.

I just recently started a new thread on Scientology for the reason that most threads on the topic are almost to the point of being venomous. This new thread has become a discussion without any mud slinging, and I think the members involved are finding it informative. And really, it's been the first time I've been able to discuss this topic without it becoming confrontational.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

Sure there's been a lot of threads on this topic, but the members posting in this thread are getting a different look at the subject.

You also have to admit that some threads get long and tired, and also get lost in the past. Members have moved on, or the topic has a new twist that warrants a new thread.

Sure some things should be continued in existing threads, but not always.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Also, in the 9/11 forum (particularly, but can be others) a different aspect becomes apparent, and it is necessary or the old thread will be derailed. So a new thread can be handy.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by apex]

top topics

join