It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple selves in multiverse?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

A multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of multiple possible universes (including our universe) that together comprise all of physical reality. The different universes within a multiverse are called parallel universes. The structure of the multiverse, the nature of each universe within it and the relationship between the various constituent universes, depend on the specific multiverse hypothesis considered.

Multiverses have been hypothesized in cosmology, physics, philosophy, theology, and fiction, particularly in science fiction and fantasy. The specific term "multiverse," which was coined by William James, was popularized by science fiction author Michael Moorcock. In these contexts, parallel universes are also called "alternate universes," "quantum universes," "parallel worlds," or "alternate realities".

The possibility of many universes raises various scientific, philosophical, and theological questions.

SOURCE

And so this leads me straight onto my thread and my idea. Is my idea original?...no, as films have discussed it and other scientists over a number of years. But I would be rather intrigued at the responses and ideas my fellow ATS'ers can put down here in my thread.

So here we go...

We all know the universe is a huge place, a never ending mass of stars, systems, galaxies and planets. It stretches and stretches to as far as the eye can see, and then some more. How can there be an end to the universe? Like you reach a wall, bump into it and read the sign on it "The end of the universe - please turn around and make your way back." No, this couldn't be. In life as we know it, everything has a start and an end...that's what makes things whole right? A dog has a tail - the end and a head, the start. A piece of string has a start and an end...or does it have two ends? Haha, but anyway everything on Earth as we know it, ends somewhere. But the universe seems to bend these rules and keep on going forever.

Now what if you believe the multiverse theories? Is it quite possible that there could be multiple universes stacked on top of each other using the bubble theory? And we are only living in one of these universes yet other people are living their lives in other universes. Would these other universes be in the future, the past...what would their technology be like? Or would they be exact duplicates of ours, just altered slightly to create a balance in the 'whole multiverse'?

But the main point of my thread is to get down to the possible / almost unreal possibility that there could be exact duplicates of yourself located in these different universes.

What would you be like? Would you be the same - as in appearance? If you're identical then surely you would look the same, but then eating habits and lifestyle effects how our bodies shape. If we are fat, slim, toned or athletic...so surely that would depend on how our 'other self' is in the other universe?

Also, what would happen if we came in contact with another 'us'? If you believe in many theories that claim that everything in the universe must be balanced, then could 2 of the same pieces of matter exist in the same space in time? Or would you 'get sucked' into each other? Or would you even explode? Even looking at the film The One, would killing your other universe self make you stronger as you advance towards extreme 'oneness' in the multiverse?

Scientifically, could it happen or exist?

It is sometimes argued that the observed universe is the unique possible universe, so that talk of “other” universes is ipso facto meaningless. Einstein raised this possibility when he wondered whether the universe could have been otherwise, or non-existent altogether. This possibility is also expressed in theories such as determinism and chaos theory. The hope is sometimes expressed that once a grand unified theory of everything is achieved, it will turn out to have a unique “solution” corresponding to the observed universe.

SOURCE

There are theories about time travel that talk about multiverse theories, parallel worlds or mirrored worlds, parallel dimensions and even parallel universes.

In those theories both worlds start equal. They are perfect copies of each other. When a time traveler from the future visits the past he will enter the parallel world and from there on the two worlds start being different. The future of the world that the traveler visits changes and moves in its own new direction. Not only a time traveler can cause these changes but also a simple message from the future could do that. In this respect it is not only the contents of the message that is responsible for the change but also the simple existence of a work of prophecy based on messages from the future.

It seems to me that in a multiverse theory you are not really traveling in time, it presumes a more or less parallel existence of different worlds. You might travel back to your own past, but from there on you are not in your own history time line anymore. Multiverse theories avoid the time travel paradoxes as the consequence of your actions continues in an alternative parallel world

SOURCE

Spiritually, a never ending universe...where do I stand? I'm purely on the fence here. I think we could exist in another universe. In fact we could exist numerous times in different universes. If you believe in ghosts and entities then surely they exist in another time frame, on another frequency. Therefore spirits would exist, yet as humans we can't 'tap into' it because of our lack of understanding of science. Therefore I truly believe that anything is possible, unless we can scientifically prove it 100% incorrect by means of science.

`````````````````````
Replaced quotes with 'ex' tags

[edit on 16/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

The one they have come up with is multiple universes, or "the multiverse". This theory says that what we have been calling "the universe" is nothing of the sort. Rather, it is an infinitesimal fragment of a much grander and more elaborate system in which our cosmic region, vast though it is, represents but a single bubble of space amid a countless number of other bubbles, or pocket universes.

Things get interesting when the multiverse theory is combined with ideas from sub-atomic particle physics. Evidence is mounting that what physicists took to be God-given unshakeable laws may be more like local by-laws, valid in our particular cosmic patch, but different in other pocket universes. Travel a trillion light years beyond the Andromeda galaxy, and you might find yourself in a universe where gravity is a bit stronger or electrons a bit heavier.

The vast majority of these other universes will not have the necessary fine-tuned coincidences needed for life to emerge; they are sterile and so go unseen. Only in Goldilocks universes like ours where things have fallen out just right, purely by accident, will sentient beings arise to be amazed at how ingeniously bio-friendly their universe is.

It's a pretty neat idea, and very popular with scientists. But it carries a bizarre implication. Because the total number of pocket universes is unlimited, there are bound to be at least some that are not only inhabited, but populated by advanced civilisations - technological communities with enough computer power to create artificial consciousness. Indeed, some computer scientists think our technology may be on the verge of achieving thinking machines.

It is but a small step from creating artificial minds in a machine, to simulating entire virtual worlds for the simulated beings to inhabit. This scenario has become familiar since it was popularised in The Matrix movies.

Now some scientists are suggesting it should be taken seriously. "We may be a simulation ... creations of some supreme, or super-being," muses Britain's astronomer royal, Sir Martin Rees, a staunch advocate of the multiverse theory. He wonders whether the entire physical universe might be an exercise in virtual reality, so that "we're in the matrix rather than the physics itself".

Is there any justification for believing this wacky idea? You bet, says Nick Bostrom, a philosopher at Oxford University, who even has a website devoted to the topic ( www.simulation-argument.com...). "Because their computers are so powerful, they could run a great many simulations," he writes in The Philosophical Quarterly.

SOURCE

So then this theory leads me ino thinking that possibly our duplicate multiverse selves are controlling this uinverse from the comfort of their chairs? Could our selves know such great technology in which to do this. This matrix theory is another thread in itself so I will leave it there.

So, what do you think. Could multiverses exist, could we have duplicates of ourselves and what would we be like? Do you believe in the theory that everything has to balance out? So what would happen if we came in contact with ourself or even killed ourself?

Please - post away.

Moderators, feel free to move this to the science boards as you wish. I posted it here as I find it paranormal. It's not scientifically proven it can happen yet, hence me not including it in the science boards.

``````````````````````
replaced quote with 'ex' tags for external material

[edit on 16/7/07 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Its strange that one thing that keeps me going through bad times in this reality, is the belief that there is another me, that is having a good life elsewhere, coexisting at this moment.

Alot probably believe in this too, but can we ever know, maybe government sciencetists may find out one day, but whether they will tell the public is another matter.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
My theory on the multiverse is that I have my universe and you have yours. You'll never know what happens/has happened/will happen in my universe unless I tell you or unless you're with me when it happens. Your world might blow up tomorrow and mine might go on for millions of years.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
interesting,

other 'selves' would only have a spiritual or metaphysical link
with the corporeal bodies we have in this particular universe.

which does not require our other 'selves' to even have bodies
like we do here as humans, another spiritual/intellectual 'self'
in another universe might be a cloud of gas are a body of water
or a crystal of some sort.

our linked 'selves' might also be 'alive' in their own worlds for
eons & eons of Earth time. Or have lifespans like fruit-flies
here on Earth...24 to 36 hours to be born, reproduce, die....

here's an interesting [but improbable ?] tid-bit...

When one experiences the "De-Ja-Vu" distortion of one's mind at various times in one's life....
perhaps that dis-equilibrium & the 'Pop' that accompanies that "De-Ja-Vu" experience
is the 'soul' being released by anothers death in another universe,
and 'snapping' back into the still living 'selves' that are spanning
the multi-verses your talking about.

yup, interesting

thanks

[edit on 16-7-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I don't really understand matter and atoms all that much, but I think the idea of something happening if 2 of the exact matters touched each other is strange.
I mean is every atom unique and different to every other one? And below the atoms on a quantum level where everything is supposed to be light anyway, what's the big deal if light touches another piece of light?
I dont know, I just can't imagine anything bad happening really.
But I can't explain anything scientifically of course

The idea of multiple 'us' becomes a little easier when you consider the concept of you and I being a part of god, and just experiencing each other at different angles, as god.
This can relay to the multiple 'us' as just being another viewpoint of ourselves, but in every possible situation or outcome, past or future.

If a single person is everything it ever could be all at once, stretched over multiple universes infinitely, thats godlike in itself.

This is something god apparently is. Not just a single person being everything it could be all at once, but everything being everything it could be all at once.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by T0by
I don't really understand matter and atoms all that much, but I think the idea of something happening if 2 of the exact matters touched each other is strange.
I mean is every atom unique and different to every other one? And below the atoms on a quantum level where everything is supposed to be light anyway, what's the big deal if light touches another piece of light?
I dont know, I just can't imagine anything bad happening really.
But I can't explain anything scientifically of course

Yes I agree. I'm not a scientist. I don't claim to know much about science at all, but I know that twins here on Earth have the same DNA 'makeup.' So they are scientifically identical are they not, and nothing happens when they get too close to each other.

But the exact same people operating in different universes but under one multiverse might be different if you believe the law of equality and that everything must be equal. Like Agent Smith in the Matrix films. He made the unbalance of himself so couldn't exist anymore. But like I said and you mentioned, as I'm not a scientist I don't know how exact molecules with the exact same buildup would react around each other. And not just a few molecules and energy - a whole person worth or molecules and energy!

Also should two of the exact same molecular typed human or animal exist in one plane of existence? Doesn't that spoil the balance? Unless of course one is evil and one is good? Or possibly if one is female and one is male?

And like St Udio mentioned...maybe Deja Vu is part of this whole equation? The 'what is deja vu' debate has been and will go on for sometime as the possibilities are endless. It could well be a shift in the balance between these different universes operating on the same level - the multiverse. Imagine all different universes lined up, one above the other (the bubble theory). If one action happens from a duplicate universe if might effect all universes because they are all connected as the multiverse.

Is deja vu related to this? When you experience deja vu are you seeing what has already been seen in another universe by yourself? Hence why it feels weird and you get the thoughts of "Umm I've seen this or experienced this before mentality." It gets confusing if you think about it too deeply as there's too many of 'yourself.' LOL.

It's an interesting idea that multiples of us could exist on different levels and plains all operating independently, yet operating all as one.

I just wonder what would happen if we killed each other in the different universes. Any of you who have watched the film 'The One' will see one possibility. You could grow stronger as the energy is dispersed out equally throughout all the remaining multiples of 'you,' making you stronger and quicker as you gain more energy. As Toby mentioned also, would killing yourself make you 'one'? Therefore making you a godly figure operating throughout the multiverse?

It's a fascinating subject and theory.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I would be more willing to be there are multi 'Selves' as you call them in this universe.

I have been in contact with another version of my Self, you can too.

Enter meditation. Ask your Self to show you another version of your Self. Really be grateful, ask and pray for this to happen. You will be shown. I was shown the first time I tried it, but it kind of freaked me out so I have only done it once more

Ask and you shall receive.

We are all ONE being following the steps leading us back to our Self.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If time travel exists, then I believe parallel realities must also exist. And I do believe that an advanced enough species would be able to figure out how to time travel. If it can be imagined, it can be possible.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I don't know if this has happened to anybody else, but once in a while I mean at least 2 times a year I have a dream in which I'm the same me, but living a different lifestyle, It varies a lot sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, for example: On one of those dreams I was living in a total different house, but still the same parents and sisters, but different neighborhood, but same church and same people at church, and then I realized it was a whole different planet the Sun was a hell of a lot bigger in the sky although it didn't feel that much hotter, and so I had to ask some guy on the street to see if he could draw the planet for me, so he did and the planet was not much different from earth, it had land and sea but the land was distributed differently, I asked him the name of the planet and he told me a totally different name than earth, I can't remember the name though I never paid much attention to this dream until now I realized that I was living in some other planet and then suddenly it hit me, I must be dreaming and then I woke up seconds later. Some other times I dream that I'm living on the same exact house, same family same everything except, I'm a little different I mean I open the closet in the dream and see a totally different wardrove of clothes and shoes, even I seem to speak different when calling my mom like a little more mature or serious It's hard to explain It just wasn't me. This dreams must mean something cause even my dad has have them, he has had similar dreams like mine I mean the same sort of pattern where everithing seems to be the same except for a few little things here and there, one time he dreamed that all of his friends from his youth had always played soccer in their life, and in the dream they played a match and he said he was playing like a pro, and my dad has never ever played soccer before. This dreams if anything at all, could be glimpses of our other selves lives in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere, that while there are infinite realities, there are finite yous, in the sense you can only have so many changes before you are no longer the same person. Maybe not genetically or physically, but mentally and spiritually.
Regardless of whether or not there are other realities and other yous, you yourself, only exist in this reality, so you shouldn't hold an ideal that the other you is living a great life. This is your life, live it the best you can.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
I would be more willing to be there are multi 'Selves' as you call them in this universe.

Enter meditation. Ask your Self to show you another version of your Self. Really be grateful, ask and pray for this to happen. You will be shown. I was shown the first time I tried it, but it kind of freaked me out so I have only done it once more

Thats awesome Biggie, awesome.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

well i personally don't think time travel is possibel. Even thou i do believe someone can go to the future, but not backwards. Einstein said that if one should have a twin brother and leave earth and travel at the speed of light for one year when that person comes back to earth his twin brother would be much older than himself. But going back to the past is something WAY more complicated, extraordinary and many may say impossible. As to that would mean that there exists infinit amount of pasts and presents and futures that all simultaneosly are at a present. That is my opinion. it's so confusing.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Don't take me wrong as i mean this in no bad way. but what do you mean with "pray"??
Praying as in to a god?? Or as to talking to yourself in the meditation?
If it is about god i think you should leave him out of science, as they are mutual enemy's, there by meaning that each denies the existence of the other. Even thou some may disagree with me.
As to the talking to other "yous" by meditation hmmm i don't see it as a possibility, but i won't denie it's possibility because we are a yet young race and there are many things to discover ( almost everything ) .
As to what you saw there are many reasons why you could have seen a version of yourself, it might have not even to do with other universes but only with yourself ( the brain is an amezing thing witch may show you thing that can seem even more real than reality it self, there are many explinations for this I'm no expert but try doing some research of it). Ask and you shall receive that sounds like from The Law of Atraction correct me if i'm wrong. I think i heard it in the movie (documentary) The Secret. I do believe in what is told in the movie. As to the mind is the stongest force in the universe to our knowledge. Einstein only used 18% of it and was and will be one of the greatest scientist EVER (well untill we learn how to develop our brains to that state).

Have a nice day all

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Start here: A possible Theory of Everything

Now, imagine our universe being a field of possibility. Our consciousness is connected to a larger system, but our physical self is constrained to this reality as a growth process that contributes to the evolution of the larger system of consciousness.

Physics understands that our reality is part of at LEAST 12 other dimensions intertwined with each other. This is called string theory. This is a small picture of how our universe works. The "bigger" picure is beyond our understanding. We live in a virtual universe, it's part of something way larger, which is part of something way larger and so on, and so on.

"There is NOTHING new under the sun". This quote says it all. Whatever we think of, is connected to something very real outside this physical reality. It's sobering.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tobiascore

Now, imagine our universe being a field of possibility. Our consciousness is connected to a larger system, but our physical self is constrained to this reality as a growth process that contributes to the evolution of the larger system of consciousness.

Physics understands that our reality is part of at LEAST 12 other dimensions intertwined with each other. This is called string theory. This is a small picture of how our universe works. The "bigger" picure is beyond our understanding. We live in a virtual universe, it's part of something way larger, which is part of something way larger and so on, and so on.

"There is NOTHING new under the sun". This quote says it all. Whatever we think of, is connected to something very real outside this physical reality. It's sobering.

i know about the string theory aka M-theory
but it is yet too young or let's say to undeveloped.
it has it's formula correctly but it has no other proof of existance.
we live in a world were thing have to be seen to be believed ( in a way of speaking )
I am a believer of the string theory btw.
but the official release is that scientist know that we live in a 11 dimensional world. ( M-theory opens the 12 dimension ) correct me if i'm wrong Please!!
Well to There is nothin new under sun, you are right there is nothing new anywhere actualy but the thing is that we don't know that it exist cuz we haven't been able to be there yet. We only know a part. And to the everything is connected to something bigger, i support that but i think somewhere it should stop if it's not like that than we have an infinit.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by kinglatin]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglatin

Originally posted by tobiascore

i know about the string theory aka M-theory
but it is yet too young or let's say to undeveloped.
it has it's formula correctly but it has no other proof of existance.
we live in a world were thing have to be seen to be believed ( in a way of speaking )
I am a believer of the string theory btw.
but the official release is that scientist know that we live in a 11 dimensional world. ( M-theory opens the 12 dimension ) correct me if i'm wrong Please!!
Well to There is nothin new under sun, you are right there is nothing new anywhere actualy but the thing is that we don't know that it exist cuz we haven't been able to be there yet. We only know a part. And to the everything is connected to something bigger, i support that but i think somewhere it should stop if it's not like that than we have an infinit.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by kinglatin]

I think we have always modeled our civilization off the newest ideas of how our Universe operates. The more we advance, the more we understand the limits, the more we discover the limits, the more we realize there are absolutely zero. Because we can't even fathom the end. This is the evolution of our Brain and consciousness. The more we can't understand, the more we're forced to understand.

Once we can physically see how our Universe works, it forces an evolutionary change in our perseption and understanding which applies to our Universe, our World and Ourselves. Again "There is nothing new under the Sun" which applies to "there is EVERYTHING new above us"

Einstein had a many breakthroughs in his Unified Field Theory. But his quest for "God" has progressed beyond his imagination due our technological progress. We can now see literal "holes" in our Universe and somewhat understand what they mean:

Imprint of another universe

This proves we are multi-dimensional beings in a quantam field of possibility. Quantam entanglement says we are still connected since the Big Bang. All these dimensions are from the smallest particles we can see, to the extreme limits of our known Universe. It's staggering, but incredible to think what we havent even discovered yet, due to limits on technology.

Just some ideas. I'm still learning alot.

Edited for annoying typos.
[edit on 7-12-2007 by tobiascore]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Mods, I clicked the wrong button.

Excuse the double post.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I believe these are the MEs that Sumerian Myth recounts.

I saw in a meditation once, myself in one place and then in the next realm or where ever it was, another me doing something very similar.

ripple in the pond effect...lets say in one realm I am murdered, the next ripple will be the same...so if there are seven ripples (or however many) I get murdered in everyone. Bugger, eh?

but also, I saw, one of ME doing something wrong and the next ME experiencing the choice in the one above. So, from that I felt it was like karma but experiencing all aspects of a choice?

good post anyway..

cheers

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Arawn

I think Cosmic Horror author HP Lovecraft was the first to touch on this idea in his tale Through the Gates of the Silver Key written in 1932.

The idea is we have infinite facets across Spcae and Time, even inhuman facets that are all of One Archetypal Self.

When Hugh Everett came up with the Many Worlds Interepretation of Quantum Mechanics in 1957, the idea entered science. It wasn't till the 1970s that the idea was actually finding acceptance among academics. Everett himself believed in a concept called Quantum Immortality. Essentially no matter what, somewhere in the Multiverse you will always be alive.

Now in the present, Many Worlds theories are an accepted part of Quantum Mechanics with tons of books and articles written on it. If Sir Roger Penrose is right, that our consciousness involves Quantum Entanglement, we may discover Lovecraft was right. That across Space and Time, throughout the Vast and Terrible Infinite, we are one and many.

[edit on 7/12/07 by MikeboydUS]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join