It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Planning to Circumvent Veto Power!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
www.lifesite.net...

I am always interested in what UN is planning because I believe at some point in the future they will play a role that gives them more power so this article is very interesting. I always wondered how they would get around that when the time came for them to actually do something quickly.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Not very likely to happen.

In one proposal for a more rapid response, in order to bypass a veto, the Secretary General could authorize the intervention of the UN Emergency Peace Service in a region without the deliberation of the Security Council or the General Assembly. In this scenario, the Security Council could only revoke the deployment of the UN army by passing a resolution according to normal procedures, meaning a veto would continue the deployment of UN troops.

There is no way in @#%$ that the Security Council would let the Sec. General authorize intervention. Just not going to happen.

The cost and makeup of the UN rapid reaction force is also hard to do. What troops and equipment, who pays the wages of the soldiers? Where would they be stationed for rapid deployment? Who are the Generals of this force, how is that decided, are they soldiers of the UN? Just a few of the basic questions, there are tons of them.

Plus on top of that the UN just lacks the backbone to do any real interventions unless all of the major powers are behind it. Case in point Darfur, Rwanda, Balkans, and the Diamond Coast of Africa.

new topics

join