It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texting to blame for crash that killed 5 teens?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Texting to blame for crash that killed 5 teens?

www.msnbc.msn.com

CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. - Text messages were sent and received on a 17-year-old driver’s cell phone moments before the sport utility vehicle slammed head-on into a truck, killing her and four other recent high school graduates, police said.

Bailey Goodman was driving her friends to her parents’ vacation home when her SUV, which had just passed a car, swerved back into oncoming traffic, hit a tractor-trailer and burst into flames. Five days earlier, the five teenagers had graduated together from...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If this is the case, I am not surprised, I hope this serves as a lesson to those who attempt these redundant communications on cell phones while driving. :shk:

I still don't get why people buy a cell phone, and end up using it to send primarily text messages, why not just talk?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This story is such a tragedy. It's a shame whenever a person that young dies, in this case 5. :shk:

Cell phones are dangerous and should not be used while operating a motor vehicle.

I have to admit I am guilty when it comes to texting while driving, I've only done it once though, it is very dangerous and distracting and no one should ever do it.

[edit on 14-7-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Texting is cheap and convenient and I like it, but clearly there are times when you need to be focused on the task at hand.

I love my cell phone, but I don't use it all that much.

The younger people I work with are texting all the time and aren't focusing on their jobs as they should.

Fortunately, for them and the rest of us, there's not much going on at work that's potentially lethal.

They all drive, though.

I disagree with this statement.

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Cell phones are dangerous and should not be used while operating a motor vehicle.

Cell phones are not dangerous, but they shouldn't be used while driving, anyway.

[edit on 2007/7/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The notion that one can lose their life, and perhaps others as well while doing something so trivial is rather unnerving, the fact that there are people who will do this despite the obvious risks, is quite shocking. And exposes a completely new level of stupidity, and utter ignorance.

Before you pick up that phone the next time you are driving, remember when you look up, you may be a fraction of a second away from a head on collision, and the end of yours, and possibly others lives. Be fore you pick up that phone THINK about it. Is it worth risking lives?

:shk:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Cell phones are not dangerous, but they shouldn't be used while driving, anyway.

[edit on 2007/7/14 by GradyPhilpott]

Perhaps I should have said using a cell phone is dangerous while operating a motor vehicle.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Perhaps I should have said using a cell phone is dangerous while operating a motor vehicle.

Don't feel bad. A lot of people make the same mistake when speaking of guns, too.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
The notion that one can lose their life, and perhaps others as well while doing something so trivial is rather unnerving, the fact that there are people who will do this despite the obvious risks, is quite shocking. And exposes a completely new level of stupidity, and utter ignorance.

what a load...gonna start the blame game about how horrible driving and talking/texting is.?
we went round and round about this in another thread not that long ago.

driving itself is dangerous.
driving while talking on the phone is no more dangerous than a lady driving while looking in the mirror trying to put on her makeup, a parent driving and reaching in the back to try to put the pacifier back in baby's mouth, surfing radio channels, shuffeling about through your purse or pockets as you drive to pull out your smokes and light.

when people start getting all uptight about those things and start talking about banning those things while driving, then i'll get on board with the evil cell phones.
ban ladies from putting on lipstick and mascera while they drive and then i'll support no driving while talking/texting.

i'm tired of being told what i can and can not do. the car/phone is mine and frankly i am tired of them focusing on crap issues.
talking on the phone is dangerous and causes wrecks????
well, so does bad braked, belts, front end parts, alighments, etc etc......hundreds of mechanical reasons that cause accidents. where are the ball joint police? where are the outer tie rod police?
i mean, people drive around ALL the time with unsafe vehicles. it's dangerous, yet they are allowed. in the meantime they want to brace me for my phone?

as i said, what a load...

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You are wrong...

Yes, cell phones, make up, etc all are very dangerous while driving, we shouldnt' be doing those things. I agree.

Doing all of those things should be outlawed, heck there probably are laws against them.

However to compare those things which we can control in our car to mechanical failures of the car, well thats just crazy.

We choose, to talk on the phone, apply make up, reach for things taking our eyes off of the road, those are choices that are foolish and shouldn't be done while behind the wheel of a car.

We do not choose, to have brakes fail, tierod ends break, or tires blow out, etc. Those things happen. Yes we can choose weather or not to have regular maintenance done on our vehicles to help prevent these things, but the comparison is ridiculous.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

We do not choose, to have brakes fail, tierod ends break, or tires blow out, etc. Those things happen. Yes we can choose weather or not to have regular maintenance done on our vehicles to help prevent these things, but the comparison is ridiculous.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by elevatedone]

i would beg to differ. i spent many years as a tech for goodyear and a dealer before i got hurt.
i think the comparison is just as valid.
people do choose to talk on the phone, put on makeup, tune the radio, etc.

and as you said, people can and do choose NOT to take their cars in for maint and that, IMO, is just as or even more dangerous..
why should a person not be held responsible of their tie rod is loose and they don't get it fixed and then it snaps and causes an 'accident'...

you know how many times i have had a car on th rack and told people about the danger of this or that that is wrong with their car and they passed on fixing it for whatever reason? hundreds and hundreds of times.
if we're gonna talk about dangerous things while driving, lets talk about all of em you know.

why does the guy that chooses not to get his wheel cylinders fixed only to have his breaks fail and cause a wreck get a pass cause it was an 'accident' but the text message person don't?
makes no sense to me.
edit* by choosing NOT to fix these things on your car when a qualified tech is telling you to, then yes, you DO choose to put yourself and everyone else on the road around you at more of a risk.
fact.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
right those who choose not to fix the car are as guilty as those doing the other things, however, I'd bet that cell phone usage and those other things we talked about out number the "bad cars" on the road.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
right those who choose not to fix the car are as guilty as those doing the other things, however, I'd bet that cell phone usage and those other things we talked about out number the "bad cars" on the road.

yeah well, there are no facts that i know of for that.
tellin you man, people get the news that this is bad or that is bad and they just pass it off. it's the whole 'mechanics are rip offs type deal'

people take their cars in to get diagnosed, then they don't get it fixed or they 'do it themselves'.

whatever.

my point is there is many, many things that have been causing a distraction to drivers. many as dangerous or more than talking on the cell and people have been doing them for years and years, without problems.
why now, all of a sudden to people have to complain about cell drivers?

10 years ago were soccer moms putting on mascera as they drive not a danger?
what about the dude driving around with bad inner/outer tie rods? he knoes about it but don't deem it necessary to fix...

tons of dangerous stuff out there.

talking on the phone, in reality, imo is no more dangerous than talkng to a passenger.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I'm betting most cities and states have a reckless driving law.

Cell Phones and Driving
THE TOPIC

MAY 2007

In the United States over 236 million people subscribed to such wireless communication devices as cell phones as of May 2007, compared with approximately 4.3 million in 1990, according to the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association.

Increased reliance on cell phones has led to a rise in the number of people who use the devices while driving. There are two dangers associated with driving and cell-phone use, including text messaging. First, drivers must take their eyes off the road while dialing.

www.iii.org...

Mod Edit: Corrected external source to conform to site standards.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   

June 29, 2006 -- Three years after the preliminary results first were presented at a scientific meeting and drew wide attention, University of Utah psychologists have published a study showing that motorists who talk on handheld or hands-free cellular phones are as impaired as drunken drivers.

"We found that people are as impaired when they drive and talk on a cell phone as they are when they drive intoxicated at the legal blood-alcohol limit” of 0.08 percent, which is the minimum level that defines illegal drunken driving in most U.S. states, says study co-author Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology. “If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving.”
unews.utah.edu...

[edit on 17-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The new study found that the most common distraction is the use of cell phones, followed by drowsiness. However, cell-phone use is far less likely to be the cause of a crash or near-miss than other distractions, according to the study. For example, while reaching for a moving object such as a falling cup increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by 9 times, talking or listening on a hand-held cell phone only increased the risk by 1.3 times

^^^^^^^^^^^^^my point

apc

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
... is moot.

A giant boulder landing in the middle of the road directly in front of you while you're going 70MPH increases the risk of a crash or near-crash by 98102834 times. But how often does that happen?

Idiots yack on their cellphones all the time.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
A giant boulder landing in the middle of the road directly in front of you while you're going 70MPH increases the risk of a crash or near-crash by 98102834 times. But how often does that happen?

Once in every 98,102,834 times, according to your numbers.

Seriously though, cell phones are not the only driver distraction. There are probably innumerable distractions, but cell phones have become ubiquitous and some people seem to think that they can drive without bothering to look at the road or without having both hands on the wheel.

I know. People drive with one hand all the time, but the cell phone makes it harder to get that hand to the wheel and as apc noted, some people think that drive time is talk time.

It isn't.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Idiots yack on their cellphones all the time.

i just love people like you. if they are on the phone, they are automatically idiots. they do it 'all the time'.
buncha crap and you know it.

there are thousands of reasons why one would need to make or take a call when they drive.
you guys need to stop crying about it as it really is quite annoying.

stats are there. studies are there. is it distracting? yup. nowhere near what you guys make it out to be though.

why do you single out phones?
are soccer moms idiots too when they check their makeup or reach back as they are driving to put little timmy's pacifier back in?
is the dude reaching down to pick up his soda that just spilled an idiot?
and on and on and on?
why the bitterness towards people that drive and talk?
i really do love these threads.

i like the last one especially cause people that don't know me or know what is going on in my life seemed to know that there is NO REASON why i would need to take a call while a drive...

these threads are fun but in the end, i suppose not much will change. people like me will still do it and people like you will cry about it. meanwhile, there are other major things that are far more important reguarding car wrecks. me thinks maybe alcohol(which is legal) and owners neglecting their maint(also legal).
those 2 things right there are the leading causes of accidents.
fix that, then talk about the cell phones..

i mentioned in the other thread about cb radios....do you or did you have a problem with those cause people have been talking on them for YEARS...i still see huge antanaes on cars. what about truckers driving 18 wheelers as they 'gab' on the rover???
been going on forever. cell phones are the new badguy.

meh

apc

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Your trucker rhetoric is quite irrelevant, Boondock. Truckers don't carry on long, involved conversations. Typically the greatest depth of their "gabbing" is a two minute conversation about road conditions ahead.

I love the suits who drive across two lanes with the cellphone pressed. Or the woman on a phone who almost runs over a pedestrian because they didn't look around the corner before turning. Or the teenager who gets killed because they just had to send that one last text message... oh wait!

Cell phones are like winter weather. I'm still undecided if they make people dumb, or just amplify their existing stupidity.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by apc]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Your trucker rhetoric is quite irrelevant, Boondock. Truckers don't carry on long, involved conversations. Typically the greatest depth of their "gabbing" is a two minute conversation about road conditions ahead.

I love the suits who drive across two lanes with the cellphone pressed. Or the woman on a phone who almost runs over a pedestrian because they didn't look around the corner before turning. Or the teenager who gets killed because they just had to send that one last text message... oh wait!

Cell phones are like winter weather. I'm still undecided if they make people dumb, or just amplify their existing stupidity.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by apc]

and how do you know their confab lasts 2 minutes? i also mentioned people talking in their car on cb's...got an opinion on that? people been doing it for years. when i mention truckers doing something dangerous, you label it as rhetoric....pretty funny.

what about the 'suit' reaching down to pick up his fuji water that just spilled or the woman that almost runs over a pedestrian cause she is busy putting on her lipstick?
what about the guy that gets killed cause he didn't have the money to ffix his inner/outer tie rods cause he spends his whole check at the bar?

you're the one spwing 'rhetoric' here my friend. many a people like you that get all bunged up about talking or texting and there are things far more dangeous than that.
even when you see a suit swerve, how do you know he did that cause he was on the phone? you don't know

i can see by your last sentence that you're on of those dudes that are all bunged up about cell phones. i mean, all the millions of people that use them and keep in contact with their families or conduct business MUST be so very very stupid cause apc says so right...apc don't like phones so everyone that uses them must be a moron huh?

so what questions are you going to not answer now?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join