It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook a CIA Front?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Oh crap!

I have an account on Facebook.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Another thought accorded to me that's based from what Justin Oldman posted earlier in this thread:

Justin pointed out that the CIA wouldn't have to own Facebook in order to data mine from it...But if the Facebook main host server is physically located within the USA, it would also be illegal for the CIA to own it! This is simply because the CIA has no jurisdiction within the USA! I'm not even sure if the CIA would have the jurisdiction to be able to data mine on US Citizens registered at Facebook, but that's a whole 'nother issue...

If the Facebook server were owned by the FBI, that would be legal because the USA is the FBI's jurisdiction (although it would be unclear to me if the FBI could data mine for any registered user who physically lives outside the USA).

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamiros
I don't like those type of web pages/services. I always think either the gov. will have my info and catch me if I do something they don't like or approve, or some crazy nut will steal my identity. Both of which I don't like.

I have seen some posts that some people have had their identity stolen by posting info in similar web pages. Be cautious...

That's why you don't post personal info or admit to illegal activities on public sites. If you do, then expect some negative consequences.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Meh, i don't see much point in getting worked up about this. They probably already have a portfolio on each and every one of us already.. as soon as i turned 18 i started getting junk mail, literally starting on my bday, from companies i have nothing to do with/have never done business with.

I am not afraid of my information being shared, for i have nothing to hide. If they think im doing something wrong, thats there problem, not mine.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'm sure the Jewish communities in Germany had nothing to hide from the Gestapo in 1935 either. Just because you're not doing anyting "wrong" by today's standards doesn't mean you aren't considered a "threat" because of the ideals you hold.

I have nothing to hide either, but I complain enough about the incompetencies of this administration that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a large file on every aspect of my life.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22
I have nothing to hide either, but I complain enough about the incompetencies of this administration that I wouldn't be surprised if there's a large file on every aspect of my life.

Because of the nature of some of things i've said personally over the internet, it would be nieve of me to think they don't have me on file somewhere.. its a hit im willing to take.

Why should i be fearful of them, and not post/contribute to the truth? Why should i be afraid of being imprisoned or getting killed? I shouldn't. I am not going to be their slave, because i WANT to help wake people up.

I know that i can never be truely happy, ever, until every last person is in the state of bliss and truth, until we get back into harmony with nature. I can't ever be happy until that happens because i've seen the truth. Its not something you can ignore, without going insane. You have to deal with it.

The Shamans for example, do what they do, guiding and healing their community, because thats all they can do. They need to help others, because only then can they be happy themselves.

By using facebook, i can post lots of truth material, and even my profile itself is inspired by my life, which in itself is about truth, music and consciousness. I don't care if they profile me. Just being able to share my views on life is enough to spur me to write it all down, especially if it means easy access to it for friends i've met.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I think what you're doing is great. It's the people here that either don't care, or think there is nothing that can be done. It's simple ignorance and laziness.

It's one thing to think it's not happening or not caring, and it's another to know that it's happening and allowing it as a means to an end. I hope you reach your target audience and enlighten more people.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
what is data mining and how does the CIA use it?

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium

Here is a definition of Data Mining.

The CIA uses this method to gather intelligence throughout the world. Marketing companies use it to know which Depends coupons to send your grandparents.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by seridium

Datamining is basically what it sounds like, "mining" for data on a person, place or thing. Essentially a group or agency compiles or find a large database or collection of information, and extracts the useful information they're looking for. They then compile it into a central file, and they essentially have a record of who or what they are looking for. It's basically a warrantless search on your history, life, personal activity, thoughts and views.

Meh, i don't see much point in getting worked up about this. They probably already have a portfolio on each and every one of us already.. as soon as i turned 18 i started getting junk mail, literally starting on my bday, from companies i have nothing to do with/have never done business with.

I am not afraid of my information being shared, for i have nothing to hide. If they think im doing something wrong, thats there problem, not mine.

Having nothing to hide is really a circular logic. First of all, its your right to privacy, and while its not unconstitutionally legal for the US Government to data mine the internet, its dangerous.

You don't have to have anything to hide for the government to take your information, and twist it. Remember, we always need a new War. War on Drugs, War on Poverty, War on Terror. We always need enemies, domestic or foreign, to poke at. What group will there war with next?

Just ask yourself this:

Have you ever read Catcher in the Rye?

Have you ever believed in Socialized medicine?

Are you a college student?

Have you ever done a drug?

Are you not a christian?

Are you an atheist?

Are you of Foreign descent (Hispanic, black,etc)

Do you speak out occasionally on government actions?

All of these simple things, most of which are not illegal to think or do (besides the drug taking) can be skewed and turned against you. Even a simple thing like reading Catcher in the Rye, has been, and will once again, be used on people to discriminate and prosecute people. And that was before, when we had civil liberties. We now have documents that literally allows you to be expelled from the country, your citizenship revoked, and detained as an "enemy combatant" for an indeffinite ammount of time.

Who knows whos the next "enemy."

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The next "enemy" is the one who plots violence or other very unscrupulous activity to terrorize the populace as a whole. It will never be feasible to round-up certain segments of the populace based on opinion or belief. I also don't think many people would stand for it.

I'm betting they have a file on me laying in virtual folder. I don't really care. I am not a threat to anyone and don't have anything to hide. I am not big fan of this sort of thing, but they probably have a reason for doing it, even though you may not know what it is. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about terrorism, but there is no perfect world, yet.

Man, they made us read Catcher in the Rye in high school. I guess that's what keeps some people in my high school class down from being ridiculously wealthy. I now understand why I never won the big lotto game, either.

[edit on 16-7-2007 by frailty]

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by frailty

The next "enemy" is the one who plots violence or other very unscrupulous activity to terrorize the populace as a whole. It will never be feasible to round-up certain segments of the populace based on opinion or belief. I also don't think many people would stand for it.

If we we're really attacking the people that attacked us, we wouldn't be in Iraq and Afghanistan, fighting for a gas pipeline and oilsupplies. We would be "looking" for the evil doers in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, where all theyre money, supplies, and the terrorists themselves came from.

The simple fact of the matter is, there will always be agendas, and theres nothing easier to rally support then to make something your enemy. Don't put yourself out there to be one.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Having nothing to hide is really a circular logic. First of all, its your right to privacy, and while its not unconstitutionally legal for the US Government to data mine the internet, its dangerous.

I totally agree
But there is no point in trying to fight it, for me anyway. I am only 20, and have been at the mercy of information mining since i was born. Also, whilst i know it mite appear to be foolish to be so lapse with what i put on display to people, i honestly do not care. If something bad comes of it, so be it, but i will continue to try to help people, and spread information, even if it kills me. I have no need to pleasure my ego anymore, and quite frankly, im bored of being in society, and the only happiness i can get is by being of service to others.. if i could heal the world in an instant in exchange for my life, i would.

Bare in mind that i have only reached this state of mind in the last year or so, and im still learning (always will be!). Cutting through the lies of society only leads you to one place. Once you understand how things are, and also what the world could be like (nirvana) if everyone took back control, having your "Profile" taken becomes irrelevant.. it means nothing, because society, in its present imbalanced form, means nothing to me.

You don't have to have anything to hide for the government to take your information, and twist it. Remember, we always need a new War. War on Drugs, War on Poverty, War on Terror. We always need enemies, domestic or foreign, to poke at. What group will there war with next?

Again, i fully agree. But i will never get into a position i can fall from, because i know thats not the route i want to take. Again, even if it kills me, or otherwise, i wish to be of service to humanity, rather than my own desires/ego.. i want to just "be", and share my love. So that means no "respected position" for me, not given my beliefs on the lack of time we have left for humanity, aswell as 2012.

All of these simple things, most of which are not illegal to think or do (besides the drug taking) can be skewed and turned against you.

And again, i fully agree. But i do not care. I will not allow myself to be fearful of the elite or their plan. If i find myself in hot water, i will do my best to reason my way out of it, person to person.. either way.. MEH! Bring it, bring the shizzle! They can not stop the times and the truth.

Worst comes to worst and my life should be taken, even then it will be a great adventure. I have nothing to fear, for i know i am eternal.

Either that or i will fly away/disappear using my psychopowers muhaha!

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
excellent thread,

one of the best i've seen created at ATS

Myspace operates just like Facebook, both have "partners" who are interested in your personal data...

Information Collection and Use by MySpace.com
MySpace.com collects user submitted information such as name, email address, and age to authenticate users and to send notifications to those users relating to the MySpace.com service. MySpace.com also collects other profile data including but not limited to: personal interests, gender, age, education and occupation in order to assist users in finding and communicating with each other.
MySpace.com also logs non-personally-identifiable information including IP address, profile information, aggregate user data, and browser type, from users and visitors to the site This data is used to manage the website, track usage and improve the website services. This non-personally-identifiable information may be shared with third-parties to provide more relevant services and advertisements to members. User IP addresses are recorded for security and monitoring purposes

User Profile information including members' pictures and first names are displayed to people in order to facilitate user interaction in the MySpace.com social networking community. Email addresses are used for the purposes of inviting new friends to join MySpace, to add users to members' friends' networks, and to send notifications related to the service. With the exception of inviting friends, adding friends, and notifications, a user's email address is not shared or displayed to people within a user's personal network Users within a personal network communicate on MySpace.com with each other through the MySpace.com service, without disclosing their email addresses. Users' full names are never directly revealed to other members. To facilitate searching and finding friends and acquaintances on the service, MySpace.com allows users to search for other members using first and last name, email address, and schools and/or companies where users may have attended or worked.

We may also use a user's email address to send updates, a newsletter or news regarding the service. Users may choose not to receive email of this type by changing their "notification" setting to "Do not send me notification emails" in the user "Account Settings"
From time to time, MySpace.com or a partner, may sponsor a promotion, sweepstake or contest on myspace.com. Users may be asked to provide personal information including name, email address or home address or to answer questions in order to participate. We may transfer personal information to certain ad partners that you have explicitly requested to receive information from. It will be clear at the point of collection who is collecting the personal information and whose privacy statement will apply.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   

If we we're really attacking the people that attacked us, we wouldn't be in Iraq and Afghanistan, fighting for a gas pipeline and oilsupplies. We would be "looking" for the evil doers in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, where all theyre money, supplies, and the terrorists themselves came from.

The simple fact of the matter is, there will always be agendas, and theres nothing easier to rally support then to make something your enemy. Don't put yourself out there to be one.

I am not naive. I know we benefit with war on the Middle East, because of oil. I know about the petrodollar. I also know that Pakistan and Saudi Arabia contributes much of the money terrorists and money. I don't think you quite understand what some of the tribal climates in those areas are like, especially Pakistan. I also don't think you understand that those two countries have leaders that are allies of the United States. The U.S. government does not want to cause mass outrage of citizens in those countries making those leaders and governments susceptible to revolutions and overthrows that may lead to a more radicalized regime. Global politics is a dicey game, when played.

I think you are missing some other angles of the reason why we went into Afghanistan and Iraq. First off, they both had totalitarian and extremist regimes. Afghanistan we took down because it was serving as the base camp for radical Islamist terrorists and was the home to Osama Bin Laden. That is a well-known fact. I personally think we went into Iraq for many strategic reasons. I think one of the reasons was to bring the battle to the doorsteps of these extremist countries and groups, so that they would divert their attention away from planning and creating terror on the U.S. and other areas.

You may say that are just war profiteers, but many companies profit from war, always have. It's a well-known fact. I think we do have vital interest in the Middle East, mainly because our economy depends on it. I also think terrorism on our land is probably very bad for it. I myself am a peace-loving "hippie" artist and musician. I know war is not the answer, unless it is the answer to a big problem. And last time I checked, radical Islamic terrorist aren't interested in compromise or diplomacy. They want all or nothing. Hopefully, things will change as they always do.

I am not scared of agendas or elites and never will be. If someone is going to prosecute or kill me for my right to free speech, then I will speak my mind, perform some heavy-duty yoga and kiss my freedom-loving buttocks goodbye.

I think there is more to life than paranoid survivalism. I will never stop helping people, either. (btw, nice post shrunkensimon, I couldn't agree with you more)

Some people have to get around the fact that there is not much privacy on the net. You have to remember collecting data and acting upon data are two way different activities in the intelligence and enforcement world. If they acted on all data, they would be running around like chickens with their heads caught off. Which they would be, because they would have to had lost their minds.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

Originally posted byJRCrowley
Who's to say they aren't ogling the post you're reading right now?

I do not doubt that they are logging every piece of information that they are able to record on the internet right now. But, just because it's already become the norm, does that mean we should give up our right to personal privacy without a fight?

Uh, I think you may have somewhat misinterpreted the supposition behind my post. I was arguing that a lack of privacy is a foregone conclusion in the digital world today. It's not a pretty concept, but it's the truth. The absolute certainty of the loss of privacy in the internet age is so obvious and palpable to me that it's not even worth debating the issue.

Therefore, at this juncture in history, the actual goal is not "How do we (fight to) keep our privacy in the digital age?" That question is so simplistic that it's not only inaccurate but a misrepresentation of reality.

A better question(s) would be, "Where do we go from here? How do we keep the people who have already STOLEN, accumulated and collated our precious and private personal information from using it against us?" If anyone can seriously even start to answer that question, they'd be on the right track.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I think you are missing some other angles of the reason why we went into Afghanistan and Iraq. First off, they both had totalitarian and extremist regimes.

Whats the point of that statement? it has totalitarian and extremist regimes, both of which we're fine with. We were fine with them until the mid 90's when they wouldn't let us make our gas pipeline.

Afghanistan we took down because it was serving as the base camp for radical Islamist terrorists and was the home to Osama Bin Laden. That is a well-known fact. I personally think we went into Iraq for many strategic reasons. I think one of the reasons was to bring the battle to the doorsteps of these extremist countries and groups, so that they would divert their attention away from planning and creating terror on the U.S. and other areas.

Thing is about Afghanistan, is like Iraq, it NEVER was about terrorism. The PNAC documents clearly point to it as a primary goal for the new century, and the simple fact that we had already amassed our soldiers into Afghanistan 8 days before 9/11 simply goes to show you that there was no real primary motive to "disable the training camps" and "hunt down Bin Laden."

I myself am a peace-loving "hippie" artist and musician. I know war is not the answer, unless it is the answer to a big problem. And last time I checked, radical Islamic terrorist aren't interested in compromise or diplomacy. They want all or nothing. Hopefully, things will change as they always do.

And you know what they want? The U.S. out of the middle east. It's not like they attacked us for no reason. We've been over there since 1950 doing terrorist acts ourselves. Just look at Operation Ajax.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
facebook the CIA you say eh?

hmmm, i had already written a bunch of stuff about this, and then had to run out for an errand, and then it occurred to me and wow, this was one of them inspirational insights

the whole internet is a CIA front

so yeh, stuff like facebook and myspace, blogs, and so forth, these are just a different alternative to the original cia mind controller, the tv

so now we just sit around sayin yo, and hello, and the ever boring cliche, hows it goin, to like hundreds of people, instead of sayin hello in the bar, we get drunk at home and say hello a lot more and faster

so yeh, they used to get us with god, church the devil stuff, before that some other pilastuff and even if we get all freaked and stuff and well, they'll come up with something else

but having said all this, i know they record everything, so what, not like it will matter, this pole shift is gonna take everyone for a ride and then the remaining survivors will just pick up sticks and stones and it starts all over again, the big wheel in the sky keeps on turnin

and so long as my pipe can keep burnin some stuffs, i got no worries, except for when the bag runds out

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I think you are missing some other angles of the reason why we went into Afghanistan and Iraq. First off, they both had totalitarian and extremist regimes.

Whats the point of that statement? it has totalitarian and extremist regimes, both of which we're fine with. We were fine with them until the mid 90's when they wouldn't let us make our gas pipeline.

The point is that those counties work with the US in the Middle East and promise not say they are going to blow up other countries. We do need it allies in the area. The fact is the Middle East is a very dangerous place right now, even if that is of our making partially. About the oil pipeline business about the history of that idea and it's flaws, here's a good article from Slate (a pretty fair site) to consider:

www.slate.com...

Thing is about Afghanistan, is like Iraq, it NEVER was about terrorism. The PNAC documents clearly point to it as a primary goal for the new century, and the simple fact that we had already amassed our soldiers into Afghanistan 8 days before 9/11 simply goes to show you that there was no real primary motive to "disable the training camps" and "hunt down Bin Laden."

Do you have a link to those documents?

And you know what they want? The U.S. out of the middle east. It's not like they attacked us for no reason. We've been over there since 1950 doing terrorist acts ourselves. Just look at Operation Ajax.

I agree America should have never been involved in the Middle East, it has been a "powder keg" for a while. That's what greed will get you. I think that is why America needs strict campaign finance reform.

If you could provide some links that would be nice, but this is last I will post on this subject, because it is way off-topic.

[edit on 17-7-2007 by frailty]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer

Sorry if I seem condescending, it is a funny thought. And if they crackdown against free speech or free belief, I will the first one speaking out against it even if does mean taking an extended vacation down in Cuba.

Then I suggest you take a look at how Constitutional Rights have been continually eroded over the past few decades...The Patriot Act alone "bypasses" the whole Bill of Rights. Yes, even your Right to Free Speech & to Petition the Government for Redress of Grievances has been rendered useless...Check out here to see how People can expect to be ignored for 8 different Petitions that address Constitutional torts. Then it escalates into a court battle over the basic intent of the Right to Petition in the 1st Amendment. Well, the court ruled that the Right to Petition doesn't include the Right to expect any answers or redress...And the battle continues up in court levels, even right up to today. And they're doing it against historical & established court precedence.

Well, they are cracking down against free speech, they have been doing it and are doing it right now!...And you haven't even started speaking out against it yet? There's already a lot of People speaking, so you're already far from being the first in line to do so.

Have you stopped laughing at us "paranoids" yet?

[edit on 16-7-2007 by MidnightDStroyer]

I already know all of this. It is a shame that this has happened in America. I know all about the free speech battles that America has been going through since 9/11.

I was never laughing at the paranoids. I was laughing at how ridiculous the notion was that they could actually feasibly do such a thing on a wide scale basis.

The Patriot Act isn't a great law. I personally find it too broad and vague, and very Unconstitutional. I think we lost our Constitution democracy when the South wasn't allowed to break away from the Union, which is a state's right in the Constitution. Since then it has been a slippery slope down hill away from the Constitution from there, just more and more laws that take away our freedoms. It definitely hasn't gotten worse over the last few decades as well.

I know I am not the first ones to speak out about our loss of freedoms (speech or otherwise), period. That we be completely foolish of me to think. People have been speaking out about it for at least a 100 years, if not more.

I would personally love to see a strict Constitutionalist like Ron Paul win an election and return our country to it's former glory. I think the Constitution is the way country ought to be run. I myself believe strongly in the Libertarian ideal and Ron Paul is a good representative of us Libertarian.

I know what this truly is, but I am not scared that they are going to round up everyone that exercises it. That is all I am saying. I was just saying I am sorry if you mistook anything as I said as condescending.

I just like playing contrarian to let people see that there is other ways to think about things then their own personal bias. You don't think I know that our country is going to pot. Believe me, I know. People should know that our government serves you, not the other way around. That is why you have the right to vote. I am scared for this country it is going through a real tough period. I think people are starting to wake up to the fact that our government has major flaws that are now showing like open wounds.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join