It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq PM: Country can manage without U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Iraq PM: Country can manage without U.S.

www.news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD - Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said Saturday that the Iraqi army and police are capable of keeping security in the country when American troops leave "any time they want," though he acknowledged the forces need further weapons and training.

The embattled prime minister sought to show confidence at a time when congressional pressure is growing for a withdrawal and the Bush administration reported little progress had been made on the most vital of a series of political benchmarks...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Personally, what I think is that once the US leaves,
the Iraqi people are going to suffer. Especially
the Christians of Iraq.
Either way this war is a lose lose situation.
If the US army pulls out then the Sunni's and Shiite will
have a civil war.
If the US stays then the Sunni's and Shiite still fight
but not an all out fight.

Yup lose lose situations you gotta love to hate them.

www.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Not saying Saddam was a god person, but I think Iraq would have been better off if he was left in charge. He ruled by fear. There was not a car bomb every day, there was not an IED going off in culverts under the road. While I understand that he was an awful humanitarian, everybody was afraid to speak out against him, or act against him. I don't see democracy ever working for that country. My opinion, install another dictator. Seems to me, if you can keep them away from genocide, a dictatorship is the best way to run a 3rd world country.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Another type of government with an Iron fist will be able to control the nation.

It will be just like the one under Saddam, but this time the Sunnis will become the oppressed while the Shiites will rule.

Christians can always come to America we have plenty of room for them here.

Let say all Christians in the US adopt an Iraqi Christian.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is a rare day. I have to agree with everything that has been said so far on this thread. It is with great sadness and anger that I do this.

I am a very conservative person and have supported President Bush and the Iraq war from day one. It seems that I, and many other Americans, gave the Iraqis much more credit than they deserve. I believed that the people of Iraq would seize on the opportunity to better their own country. I believed that once the strangle hold of Saddam was broken the Iraqi people would want to work together for their common good and become a shining example to the rest of the Middle East. I did not believe this because President Bush said so – as a Christian I believed that there is good in all people and that this goodness would prevail. I truly thought that the great majority of people in all parts of the world wanted peace and prosperity and only needed the opportunity to pursue it.

Unfortunately I was wrong. The Sunni and Shiite parts of Iraq do not want peace. The majority of them are nothing but tribalistic thugs. They are not worthy of the democracy and freedoms that the US tried to give them. They deserve to have a horrible dictator like Saddam who kills them by the thousands for no reason. I no longer support trying to help Iraq in any way. I would be happy to see the US pull out of Iraq today and let them descend into the morass of civil war they are determined to wage against each other. It is clear that “nation building” in the Middle East does not work. They can all go to hell.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by itguysrule

The majority of them are nothing but tribalistic thugs. They are not worthy of the democracy and freedoms that the US tried to give them. They deserve to have a horrible dictator like Saddam who kills them by the thousands for no reason. I no longer support trying to help Iraq in any way. I would be happy to see the US pull out of Iraq today and let them descend into the morass of civil war they are determined to wage against each other. It is clear that “nation building” in the Middle East does not work. They can all go to hell.

Ok, I saw this and had to post, I'm sorry but to me this is just wrong. Condeming people to hell? Not everyone over there is bad. There are innocent people over there who are just trying to live their lives. I don't condone the war, I don't think we should be there... I let my views be known to people, etc but thinking the whole country dosen't deserve our help? If they want it, fine... but they don't want it anymore so we should leave. Heck a lot of them didn't even want our 'help' in the first place! I really don't know what I'm trying to say... just that I think it's wrong to condem a country and it's people to hell just because there are a fair amount of angry mad people who believe violence is the way to solve things.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
PM al-Maliki might be talking with too much Bravado!

in the long run, the Iraqi PMs words will fall on deaf ears...

don't you know that it was reported recently that of the 18 points
or conditions we are giving Iraq about the progress of nation building,
that Iraq fails on 10 of the issues or points of 'progress'

So, Bush&Co. will dismiss Maliki's statement and Insist that
the US continue its presence in Iraq until 100% of all the
18 nation-building points are satisfactorally met. & that's for starters

Even after that point in time GWB or the next administration will have a sizeable troop presence inIraq for two reasons....the Embassy Fortress mini-city
And for protecting the oil fields and oil pipelines that are contracted to
the mega-oil-corps. of the western world.

sorry friends, Maliki's words are for soothing the westeners ears,
they have no substance or reality

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well, good for him! So...is the first transport leaving soon or are we going to continue to paternalize the Iraqis?

[edit on 14-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what Maliki says, Cheney gets what he wants.
The US is about to make some changes in Iraqi government.

No-Confidence Vote Looms Over Iraq's PM

Iraq's prime minister is facing his most serious challenge yet. The no-confidence vote will be requested by the largest block of Sunni politicians, who are part of a broad political alliance called the Iraq Project. What they want is a new government run by ministers who are appointed for their expertise, not their party loyalty.

The Iraq Project is known to the highest levels of the U.S. government. CBS News has learned it was discussed in detail on Vice President Dick Cheney's most recent visit to Baghdad, when he met with the Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi.

If Cheney went out of his way to go there, I sense a shake-up.

I think this is their website: Iraq Project

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Good.

Now we can just declare victory and leave (with our fingers crossed).

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
It doesn't matter what Maliki says, Cheney gets what he wants.
The US is about to make some changes in Iraqi government.

No-Confidence Vote Looms Over Iraq's PM

Iraq's prime minister is facing his most serious challenge yet. The no-confidence vote will be requested by the largest block of Sunni politicians, who are part of a broad political alliance called the Iraq Project. What they want is a new government run by ministers who are appointed for their expertise, not their party loyalty.

The Iraq Project is known to the highest levels of the U.S. government. CBS News has learned it was discussed in detail on Vice President Dick Cheney's most recent visit to Baghdad, when he met with the Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi.

If Cheney went out of his way to go there, I sense a shake-up.

I think this is their website: Iraq Project

The best democracy money can buy, eh?

[edit on 14-7-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The US must leave Iraq... if that requires the President lying to himself and his people (which he's damned good at), telling them that we have achieved victory, then so be it. You can't achieve victory there anyways, unless you consider genocide to be victory.

So, someone please lie to Bush. Treat him like the Nazi generals treated Hitler... give him false information about victory, so he will stop getting the troops and innocent civilians killed.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Imagine this for one second that bush cheney don't want to win the war. they never envisioned a swift victory. If you know anything about the policies that guide these 2 idiots and there administration you will know that there mission is to maintain an exaggerated presence in the middle east. Namely those countries with oil , or possible oil pipe routes.

Its all written in plain English for everybody to read. Its called rebuilding America's defenses, and the project for a new American century.

I would go as far as saying that 20% of the car bombs are probably false flag black operations.

40% of the billions given to Iraq has been allowed to slip into the hands of the so called enemy.

You have to understand how truly disgusting the military Industrial complex is. The only hope for Iraq is after the next election depending on who gets in. Only then might they get some real support.

[edit on 113131p://570711 by tombangelta]

top topics

join