It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British blamed for Basra badgers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   

British blamed for Basra badgers

news.bbc.co.uk

British forces have denied rumours that they released a plague of ferocious badgers into the Iraqi city of Basra.

Word spread among the populace that UK troops had introduced strange man-eating, bear-like beasts into the area to sow panic.

UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer said: "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I find this hilarious.

I am struggle to write something constructive for my comment on this news. But, my mind is filled with a potential badger insurgency.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Apparently, it's been there since at least 1986 and is a separate breed to that of the British badger.

The director of Basra's veterinary hospital, Mushtaq Abdul-Mahdi, has inspected several of the animals' corpses.

He told the AFP news agency: "These appeared before the fall of the regime in 1986. They are known locally as Al-Girta.

"Talk that this animal was brought by the British forces is incorrect and unscientific."

THE HONEY BADGER
Also known as a ratel, it is a large, sharp-clawed mammal
At around 100cm (39in) long it is slightly bigger than its British woodland cousin
Capable of taking on a cobra, the animal weighs up to 14kg (30lb)
Its Latin name is mellivora capensis, and it is indigenous to Africa and the Middle East

Dr Ghazi Yaqub Azzam, deputy dean of Basra's veterinary college, speculated that the badgers were being driven towards the city because of flooding in marshland north of Basra.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer said: "We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area.

... but we would have if we had thought of it!

funny story.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I blame Harry Hill for this outrage against the Iraqi people.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Hilarious, just as hilarious regarding Iraninan Police, finding and detaining, squirrels, so called having secret listening devices attached to their bodies, absolutely rediculous.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Existing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join