It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Pulls Out of European Arms Control Treaty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Russia Pulls Out of European Arms Control Treaty

www.foxnews.com

MOSCOW — Russia on Saturday suspended its participation in a key European arms control treaty that governs deployment of troops on the continent, the Kremlin said.

President Vladimir Putin signed a decree suspending Russia's participation in the Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty due to "extraordinary circumstances ... which affect the security of the Russian Federation and require immediate measures," the Kremlin said in a statement.

The law takes effect immediately.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret Thread:
Russia Has Suspended The CFE

[edit on 7/14/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I think were moving fast towards Cold War 2.0

It'll be very interesting to see who will replace Putin, if he steps down at all.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Didn't they announce they were doing in this some months back?

Also, seeing as a huge chunk of Russia's pop live in Europe, can we really tell them where to place their troops?

After all, their not exactly a threat to us. They can barely subdue Chechnya, after all....

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Also, seeing as a huge chunk of Russia's pop live in Europe, can we really tell them where to place their troops?

Russia is now alot smaller than it worse during the Cold War.

Plus, many domestic problems are effecting Russian society quite badly. This move by them will backfire.

As for placing their troops, line them up on the border? who knows.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm not too bothered by them. They're not the Bear they used to be. They couldn't get too far into Europe before being turned back. They're only strength is that Russia is almost impossible to invade, even if you bring your thermal underpants...

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   
The only fear i have of Russia is nuclear weapons.

Would'nt be hard for Russia to put a nuke or 20 in one of the submarines venezuala has purchased.That could turn the tables pretty fast.

Anyway i think this is just chest thumping about the missile defense.I don't think he would dare start war with the U.S but hey who knows.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
The only fear i have of Russia is nuclear weapons.

Russia still cannot afford to fire it's nuclear weapons. The economy may be booming, but poverty still has a huge effect of it's GDP.

An arms race would financial cripple Russia, again.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
^^

Russia has been upgrading just about every aspect of its military for the past 6 yrs.If you want ill try to get some links but I hate doing it so i won't unless you need proof.

America also has many many poor poeple,theres no difference really that i can see.Not to mention Russias oil whoa now.But like i said throwing some nukes in some of the many many crates of arms to good ol Chavez would really prove a point if it came to heads in europe over the missile defence.

I think America would shut down or stop building the defense if all of a sudden theres 20 nukes pointed at us from Venezuala.Meanwhile Russia would be chilling.This may even prevent war!

[edit on 14-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Thank you Project_Silo,
Russia is beefing up and with our aid it is getting much stronger. We recycle their plutonium now in our commercial plants so they don’t have to get rid of their worse nuclear waste.
Their nukes primary purpose is not creating electricity but manufacturing weapons grade plutonium.
Our president is giving them the keys to the high frontier so they can hit and not be hit.
We spent billions spying on them and know they continue to engineer the latest in Bio-chemicals that are being processed by North Korea.
They continue to supply every enemy state we have.
Their weaker economy only means that they, like our government will sale anything to anyone for a price.
I believe we should hold off on striking off Russia from our national list of concerns. Even if the pedophile Putin is replaced by someone that acts less like a snake.

Has anyone seen anything on Bush’s plans to replace our nuclear warheads with new untested ones?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   

An arms race would financial cripple Russia, again.

Arms races don't financially cripple countries. Arms maintenance does.
Arms races are proven to bolster a dying economy.

As for this story? I'm quite positive this was released over a month ago.

Is it even news? No, the rest of Europe has pulled out of the treaty, and the US has NEVER obeyed the rules of that treaty.

Russia is the ONLY one still obeying the treaty... so they are pulling out and letting it fall apart.

Comforter wrote :
Even if the pedophile Putin is replaced by someone that acts less like a snake.

I've never read a more biased and completely unhelpful comment as that in all my life. Way to propagate propaganda.

Please man, the unjustified hateful bashing is not becoming of an ATS member... get rid of it.

[edit on 14-7-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Didn't they announce they were doing in this some months back?

After all, their not exactly a threat to us. They can barely subdue Chechnya, after all....

It might have popped up in the news as some chatter it might happen in response to the U.S. missile defence plans but no action was taken place until now. This is a classic example of action and re-action.

Also its not necessarilly Chechnya as much as Georgia as a threat. Remember several months back they put in a request for NATO Membership which obviously Russia isn't to happy about.

In all honesty whether their troops are inland or massing on the borders is not going to make that much difference in today's world so the treaty was pretty much worthless anyway.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
As the new cold war develops you have to remember that China and Russia are now competing with the US at the own game of gaining influence via an capitalist economy. Putin is proving with actions like this one and not supporting the missile defence system that he is using nationalism to create a more of an cold war style climate.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
As the new cold war develops you have to remember that China and Russia are now competing with the US at the own game of gaining influence via an capitalist economy. Putin is proving with actions like this one and not supporting the missile defence system that he is using nationalism to create a more of an cold war style climate.

China will screw over Russia.
Siberia is probably on the mind of China, after all, their general did say her borders need to expand.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Siberia is probably on the mind of China, after all, their general did say her borders need to expand.

China and Russia duking it out

I must say...... I never really put alot of though into that Scenario. That would indeed be interesting.

Good point infinite

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq

I must say...... I never really put alot of though into that Scenario. That would indeed be interesting.

Good point infinite

But arent they kinda buddy buddy with each other? After all, China is like the stepchild of past communist Russia. But they have good realations with each other, so i dont think that scenario would become reality.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq

Good point infinite

Plus, China, under Mao, felt insulted when Soviet Russia would not give them the bomb.

Something, till this day, China is very insulted by.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jarheadjock
But arent they kinda buddy buddy with each other? After all, China is like the stepchild of past communist Russia. But they have good realations with each other, so i dont think that scenario would become reality.

not close relations.

The Soviet Union did not trust Mao.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
China will screw over Russia.

IMO China will seek closer trade ties with Russia and look to create and control there interests in Siberia via investing in the regions natural resources. I don't that that China will try and take over Siberia via military means . Once China has a lot of controlling interests in Siberia they can apply more diplomatic pressure to Russia.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Putin's Replacement will most likely be Ivanov, and He is a Hard Liner! The New Ivan the Terrible.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Putin's Replacement will most likely be Ivanov, and He is a Hard Liner! The New Ivan the Terrible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join