It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Senators Seek Iraq Withdrawal Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Republican Senators Seek Iraq Withdrawal Plan

ca.today.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two of President George W. Bush's fellow Republicans in the Senate who seek a change of course in the war in Iraq urged him on Friday to draft plans to begin a possible troop withdrawal by the end of the year.

The proposal by Sens. Richard Lugar of Indiana and John Warner of Virginia, unlike troop withdrawal plans by leading Democrats, would leave it up to Bush to order any pullout.

While it has received a tepid response from Senate Democrats and the White House,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usnews.com
www.cbsnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Senate Passes Iraq Withdrawal Bill; Veto Threat Looms
Bush vetoes Iraq withdrawal bill

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The White House's Iraq war plan is losing it's support by the GOP more and more every week. The Republican Congress has finally taken their fingers out of their ears long enough to hear the hue and cry from their constituency back home and know that if they don't do something soon to show they are listening, they can kiss any chance of re-election goodbye.

This plea by Luger and Warner to start withdrawing troops by the end of this year follows the House passage of a bill that would pull the plug on any further spending on the war effort.
House Passes Bill To Withdraw Troops

Here it is July 13th and the House has already passed three bills to stop the war. The Senate has finally got the message and Luger and Warner are taking the point position, directly with President Bush. Who knows maybe Bush will finally get the message too. At this point the only one extolling the virtues of "staying the course" is John McCain.

ca.today.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/13/2007 by lightseeker]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That support to the war is what had McCain out of the race, people wants this war finish and our troops home.

But you know that the profiteers of war will never allow the time table for withdraw American lives at the front lines and their fate is in the hands of the pushers of this war.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
That crunching sound you hear in the background is the Republican party eating its own. These people in the Senate are fighting for their political lives, and they know it. When I listen to what goes on CSPAN, I hear members of the GOP talk about the opinions and tone that come in to their office through phone calls, e-mail, and snail mail from the people who elected them. Public opinion has turned ugly, and they know it. People who once supported the war are tired of the mistakes and the profiteering.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Americans needs to remember that the entire congress is up for re election.

They are like Dobbs said sitting ducks and they will have to step away from the corporate lobbyist if they want to gain support from the American people.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If nothing else, the Republicans might...I hope...get back to basics after tehy are reduced to a minority status in both the House and the Senate. I'm really sad to think that it has come to...that...for my preferred political party. The Dems had better realize that what the voters give, they can take away.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This sounds similar to what I posted over in Above Politics (The Iraq Debate That Wasn't) some hours earlier, but from a different Source. From what I got from the Source over there, it lends the possibility that Congress is hem-hawing over this issue because they want to keep troops over there while the elections draw nearer...Then, if action were to take place to get troops home, they could use that in their campaigns to imply that THEY were the ones who pushed for Bush to withdraw troops.

You know...Political Games again. Meanwhile our troops remain in Iraq for as long as possible while the profiteers keep making profit & the Government grows just a bit bigger & a bit more firm in their control.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Existing breaking news post in this topic here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join