It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Civil rights liberty express concern about cameras on police helmets in UK.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AqqTpNTbyPjFfJrlxLJCIHnMWM0F

LONDON - Britain is taking its surveillance to a new level, strapping video cameras to the helmets of its famed bobbies — a move the government says will cut down on paperwork and help prosecute criminals.

By providing dramatic footage of victims, suspects and witnesses, judges and jurors will be able to "see and hear the incident through the eyes and ears of the officer at the scene," Minister of State for Security Tony McNulty said.

The Home Office said it was allocating $6 million to fund the devices for Britain's 42 police forces — enough to buy more than 2,000 cameras.

Police already use handheld cameras to monitor crowded events and the new head-mounted devices, worn around the ear or clipped on to a helmet, have been used on a trial basis by police in Plymouth, in southwestern England, since 2005. Similar cameras are used by security guards at sports venues to hunt for soccer hooligans.

Britain is not the first country to use such cameras, versions of which have been tested in Denmark. But the national rollout will tighten Britain's web of video surveillance, already the most extensive in the world. The country is watched over by a network of some 4 million closed-circuit cameras, and privacy advocates complain the average Briton is recorded as many as 300 times a day.

In a report on the Plymouth pilot project published by the Home Office on Thursday, policemen praised the head-held cameras for deterring bad behavior and providing excellent evidence against crooks.

I really don't see any concern about having a camera on a police officer's head or shoulder to keep watch. Especially when you have the police officer watching anyways. We have camera on police cruisers as well to help back up evidence as well as showing misconduct by police officers themselves. I would support this.

Fixing title, have no idea why I put an apostrophe on cameras

[edit on 13-7-2007 by deltaboy]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This for me is a good thing.

The Police Officer has undisputable proof of wrong doing, and has no need to be a good witness, as the camera tells it all.

Tonight in Oxford I was hobbling on my crutches and asked for help. The Police Officer ASKED, yes asked me if I was willing to be filmed. I said I had no problem and he switched on the camera. I was very, very grateful for his help as I was stuck without any help at all.

The camera, well thats no worries, I just felt it was able to show the Officer in a good light, as he was very, very helpful in his effort to help.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by D4rk Kn1ght]

new topics

join