It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US seizes 'Iranian-backed police militant'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

US seizes 'Iranian-backed police militant'

abc.net.au

US troops have captured an alleged Iranian-backed terrorism cell leader in Baghdad, after killing six Iraqi police and seven militants in a gun battle, while mortars hit the fortified Green Zone.

The US Army says it has fought a fierce gun battle and called in an air strike after coming under fire during a raid in central Baghdad to arrest a police lieutenant accused of running a terrorist cell.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.forbes.com
www.africasia.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Officials: Captured Hezbollah agent helped plan deadly Karbala raid
Time Short For An Effective Strike Against Iran
Iraq: 200 explosive belts seized on Syria border
Al-Qaeda linked to operations from Iran

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
More linkage between Iran and terrorism in Iraq,
whether true or not.

It's pretty bad if we have to battle Iraqi Police now.
I said it a month or two ago, that we would start to see
more reports of Iranian influence, and now there's a
steady flow of news. How much longer before the US
makes another case for war?

Any other comments and questions are appreciated.

abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
U.S. Troops Battle Iraqi Police

BAGHDAD (AP) - U.S. troops battled Iraqi police suspected of links to Iranian-backed Shiite militiamen, killing six in a rare firefight between American soldiers and their Iraqi partners. Friday's clash underscored the deep infiltration of militants in the country's security forces.

"Deep infiltration" never sounds good, especially by Iranian-backed Shiite militiamen.

I think things might get worse when Maliki gets ousted,
which might be why Iraqi leaders have told their citizens
to arm themselves, ahead of a "mini-Tet" offensive.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
America will leave, and Iran will seize most if not all of the country. I don't see how other scenarios are possible.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
America will leave, and Iran will seize most if not all of the country. I don't see how other scenarios are possible.

I don't see how your scenario is possible. Every time I come across a middle-east thread people are thinking about these conflicts as if its 2 sided. Today's wars are much more complex than simply Iran vs America. We must always keep in mind religous sects, terrorist groups, allies, and neighboring countries.

This isn't just about Iran vs the US. This is about Israel, Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Iran, and the United States. Don't think for a second that Israel will allow Iran to have nukes, much less a total domination of Iraq. And don't think for a second that the US wont back Israel up. Hezbollah, Hamas, and other terror organizations will act out.

This story is about the US building a pretext for war, and nothing less. Bush knows that he will have to take on Iran or risk losing Iraq completely, and the Israelites are getting ready to pull the trigger anyways.

America and/or Israel will create a "mini-tet" as suggested, and a regional war involving all of the above mentioned nations and groups as well as others will ensue. I do see how other scenarios are possible, but this is the most likely.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I don't see how anything is possible from the US end of things...

They hold the green zone, a small area of land within the capital... the rest of the country is in control of the local areas, and whoever will back them...

... and the backers sure as hell aren't American.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
They have 3 carriers and an entire armada in the gulf, bases in Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, and Iraq...

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
All the while:
Iraqi PM says Iraqi Troops Ready to Take Over Security

Iraq's prime minister Saturday said Iraqi forces are ready to provide full security in the nation whenever U.S. troops leave.

Nouri al-Maliki told reporters that Iraq's troops can assume complete responsibility for security at any time.

Maliki won't be around too much longer.
In fact, there's a 'no-confidence' vote tomorrow (7-15).

new topics

top topics

join