It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UK MP hints at policy shift away from the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

New UK MP hints at policy shift away from the U.S.

www.cnn.com

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A British minister suggested a shift in foreign policy away from the United States, telling an audience in Washington that a country's strength depended on making global alliances rather than military might.

Washington has been watching the new government of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown for signs of any policy change after years of close ties under his predecessor Tony Blair.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Im not the least bit surprised. Why would anybody want to stay in the coalition (what little remains of it) to see this to the end (which is going to be ugly no matter ho you spin it). If the UK pulls out of Iraq, the US military is going to be hard pressed to maintain what little control they have now.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In this case, ill have to see it to believe it. To me it seems this just may be a case of spoken political opportunism, with little translation to the real world.

Too often have governments said they were moving left, while really jumping right. Whats that called again, "The Kansas city shuffle"? (from "Lucky Number Slevin")

It would be great to see the british government move away from the policies of imperialism to a more collectivist apporach, but like i said, ill have to see it to believe it.

Edit to add: I swear im not following you from thread to thread Fred

[edit on 13-7-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
It would be great to see the british government move away from the policies of imperialism to a more collectivist apporach, but like i said, ill have to see it to believe it.

seeing's our new Prime Minister has brought in critics of the Iraq war, including a minister who resigned over the war and the ex deputy UN secretary general into the administration.

thats a sign.

plus, there are rumours spinning around in the UK that we will NOT be involved in any potential military action with Iran. UK policy is about to become less hostile now.

Brown has no choice, but to change the relationship if he is planning to call and win a snap election.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
If the UK pulls out of Iraq, the US military is going to be hard pressed to maintain what little control they have now.

It all depends how the pressure goes in the States. If the pressure keeps building, Brown has an excuse to get the troops out. That's what he is waiting for. A reason to pull them out without coming across "anti-American"

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well I remain convince the whole Iraq operation was ment as a stepping stone to go after Iran. But the post war effort was so botched that it will not happen. I would be shocked if anyboy would follow the US into Iran. What a debacle that would be.

It all depends how the pressure goes in the States. If the pressure keeps building, Brown has an excuse to get the troops out. That's what he is waiting for. A reason to pull them out without coming across "anti-American"

There is alot of pressure and GOP members are starting to jump ship or they will not be elected. So it may be sooner than later IMHO

For Brown its a win / win. He maintains good relations with the US and looks good at home.

[edit on 7/13/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Brown is denying any shift away from the US

www.canada.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Brown is denying any shift away from the US

www.canada.com...

yeah,
it's because he doesn't want to spark a diplomatic row. Brown is visiting the States in a few weeks, which i expect him to announce British troops coming home.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Source:

www.canada.com...

International Development Secretary Douglas Alexander, in a speech in Washington on Thursday, said while Britain stood beside the United States in fighting terrorism, isolationism did not work in an interdependent world.

"In the 20th century a country's might was too often measured in what they could destroy. In the 21st, strength should be measured by what we can build together," Alexander said, in comments interpreted by British media as signaling a change in the British government's relationship with Washington.

A spokesman for Brown denied the speech marked any turnaround in policy and said the interpretation put on Alexander's words by the media was "quite extraordinary."

So he's probably just a little afraid of Bushie is all. He doesn't want to look like he hates our government when in reality he probably loathes them. Heck, I do. Why not him?

Continued...

Brown told BBC radio he would continue to work closely with the U.S. administration.
"We'll not allow people to separate us from the United States of America in dealing with the common challenges we face around the world."

Washington has been watching Brown's new government for signs of any policy change after years of close ties under his predecessor Tony Blair.
Brown took over last month with promises of change to woo back voters after 10 years of his Labour Party's rule and in particular to draw a line under the unpopular Iraq war. Blair's closeness to Washington was unpopular with many Britons.

Alexander said in the speech at the Council of Foreign Relations that nations must form new alliances "not just to protect us from the world but ones which reach out to the world."

[edit on 13-7-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I for one would rather see, the UK holding on to this special relationship with the US, rather than bulding close relationships with Europe. Just something about the E.U. that makes me uneasy.

Both the US and the UK have backed each other on numerous occasions, long may it continue. (Would rather have the US on our side, than the french or the germans anyday).

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Too many layers upon layers of treaties and agreements

now there can be a appearance of distance in the Anglo-American sphere
but that's the responibility of the disinformation & deception 'spin'-meisters

all the world's a stage & you'll be witnessing the Art Of Deception

almost as convincing as the US-v-Iran drama.
and the Pakistan is an Ally drama

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
One can only hope that after the 08 election the special relationship bounces back from any strain or distance caused by the mess in Iraq. Hopeful after coalition forces leave Iraq sufficient forces will be deployed to win the war in Afghanistan and the enemy will no longer have an haven in the tribal areas of Pakistan.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Why can't we all just be friends!? Britain can keep ties with both the US and Europe without being under their thumbs!

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well that's just great.I hope this is just a move by Britian to distance itself from our current administration and not the country as a whole. America has no stronger or loyal ally than the Brits. I certaintly give all the respect due to our brothers and sisters accross the ocean.

I for one hope that the relationship of our two countrys always stays strong and healthy. I'm not quite shure how safe America would be if it weren't for Britian and all the work you have put into foilling recent terror plots and the like. ................

Oh and you guys have James Bond
Who can mess with 007?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yeah let's not get divided here. We have strong ties with both the EU and the US.

Let's remember that we're all friends here, chill out and sit down.

Seriously, our ties with the US will be better recognised when they stop referring to us as either 'England, Europe' and / or the '51st state'.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Think about it. Here in the U.S. bush's approval ratings are in the 30's or so. Have been for a while. More and more republicans are shifting away from bush nowadays. This guy in unpopular pretty much everywhere,except albania.

The UK has a new prime minister. Would make sense for him to distance himself from this administrations policies and whatnot. Our two nations have always been close allies,and will be. (hope so
) But Blair was just bush's lapdog. Plain and simple. So while we look at bush as being arrogant,dumb etc. We can also look at blair as being dumb enough to follow him. The U.K has just gotten a new start with a new PM,in 1 year it will be our turn. Lets hope its a turn for the better.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone
Both the US and the UK have backed each other on numerous occasions, long may it continue. (Would rather have the US on our side, than the french or the germans anyday).

I totally agree with you on this one. The US and the UK have a special relationship that is deeper than the politics of the moment. Our governments may disagree or quarrel with each other on occasion, but I see the connection as more between the people than the governments. I was born in the US but all of my direct ancestors are from the UK. That makes the UK my mother country.

In other posts on ATS I have always stated that the US has two and one-half true freinds in the world. They are the UK, Australia and the English half of Canada.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Foreign Secretary David Miliband has insisted the United States will continue to be the UK's "most important partner in the world".

His assertion comes in the wake of comments from two other ministers which hinted at cooler relations between the two nations.

Would rather listen to him, than a minister who has had a chip on his shoulders about the US Administration for ages.....

Think you will find, alot over in the UK do not want the relations between the UK and the US to break, more are against the US Administration than the people of the US, after all we all have links to each other in some way or other dont we, more than what I can say for our European counterparts...

Article

Incase anyone wants to read...

Edited - cant spell tonight

[edit on 14-7-2007 by spencerjohnstone]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Seems to me it's just some members of a new administration feeling their oats, not any significant change in policy.

I really don't think Blain was Bush's "lapdog" I think they were in actual agreement on pretty much most things. Blair was really pushing the "neocon" agenda before Bush was even elected.

[edit on 7/14/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Blair was really pushing the "neocon" agenda before Bush was even elected.

Very true.

It was Blair who pushed for military action in Kosovo, which Clinton didn't like. And it was Blair who said in 1999 that Saddam had to go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join