It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House eyes extended troop surge. Iraqi Govenment takes month off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

White House eyes extended troop surge.

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - While many in Congress are pushing President Bush to alter course in Iraq by September if not sooner, his new status report on the war strongly implies that the administration believes its military strategy will take many more months to meet its goals.

The report cited no specific timeframe, but its language suggests what some U.S. commanders have hinted at recently: The troop reinforcements that Bush ordered in January may need to remain until spring 2008.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/13/07 by FredT]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The surge which was supposed to improve things seems to have made things worse. Even if only 50% or what is being reported is true we are still in huge trouble. Actually I belive the administration is concealing the true security situation for the fear a total loss of support and further GOP defections if things get much worse. I fail to see how another year in going to improve things unless theya re going to double the amount of troop on the ground.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This thing is over...and has been for awhile.

It's time to start thinking about the best course for withdrawal and a new strategy for our national security.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
This thing is over...and has been for awhile.

It's time to start thinking about the best course for withdrawal and a new strategy for our national security.

Saw an article the other day. If we withdrawl with all the equipment, its a 2 year process. 1 if we leave it. We are looking at 2010 even if we start now

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Saw an article the other day. If we withdrawl with all the equipment, its a 2 year process. 1 if we leave it. We are looking at 2010 even if we start now

Unbelievable, isn't it?

I do suspect, however, much will be redeployed to Afghanistan...until it is painfully obvious that any window of opportunity for success there was missed long ago...

It may well be beyond 2010, my friend.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by loam]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I highly doubt the timetable. We got all our troops in there in a matter of weeks, why can't we pull them out the same way? Oh, for fear of 'insurgents' who we've royally pissed off after 4 years of occupation.

Why is it always insurgency when people are fighting for freedom? We were rebels during the revolutionary war against a colonial power, now we have become that same tyrannical force we tried to leave behind in Europe.

Enough is enough, Bush pull your head out of the sand.

Iraq is lost thanks to your ignorance and greed. Let's get our soldiers home before any more of them die.

'Terrorism' as we are supposedly trying to stop has only grown due to our actions in the Middle East. No WMDs were found, we have not created a democratic Iraq or freed Iraqis, etc etc. None of the goals were accomplished.

Let's just bring our troops home from every battle station worldwide, even the naval bases, and rethink our plan of foreign intervention.

I think we owe the world an apology for overstepping their rights as humans and world citizens.

The White House is completely disconnected from reality. They are living their own grand delusions of mass kool aid suicides out over and over again. We must stop this madness.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think the time table means us taking ALL of the equipment out like the tanks etc. Nor could you pull out that fast and not expect a total collapse of what little central government there is.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
I highly doubt the timetable. We got all our troops in there in a matter of weeks, why can't we pull them out the same way? Oh, for fear of 'insurgents' who we've royally pissed off after 4 years of occupation.

I think its more of a logistical issue. A lot of the equipment that we deployed needs to be deconstructed. temporary bases of operation need to be taken down and moved to a loading zone. You get the idea.

Why is it always insurgency when people are fighting for freedom? We were rebels during the revolutionary war against a colonial power, now we have become that same tyrannical force we tried to leave behind in Europe.

Its not propaganda if its the truth now is it? You certainly cant tell the truth when you are the occupier, you would loose complete support for your efforts and policies.

'Terrorism' as we are supposedly trying to stop has only grown due to our actions in the Middle East. No WMDs were found, we have not created a democratic Iraq or freed Iraqis, etc etc. None of the goals were accomplished.

total agreement there.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I think the time table means us taking ALL of the equipment out like the tanks etc. Nor could you pull out that fast and not expect a total collapse of what little central government there is.

I understand your viewpoint, but the government is pretty much already collapsed as it is. Our military stands between as you say, what 'little central government there is' and completely anarchy.

We can't stay there forever. It is going to be up to the Iraqis to decide if they want to live in a democracy or a fear-laden dictatorship.

Remember, Iraq has only existed as a country for less than a hundred years. We've only been around for a little over 200. Who are we to say what should exist and who to protect?

I'm just about sick and tired of bombing the crap out of countries, rebuilding their infrastructure so its western-friendly, and expecting the natives to give a care about us.

They don't have to. Nor should in my opinion.

Mel Gibson said it best in 'The Patriot.' We have replaced one dictator 300 miles away with another 3000 miles away, who is arguably worse. Bushie doesn't treat his own country very well, I can't even imagine what kind of hell we've created in the sands of Iraq.

God bless them all.

I think the collapse has already begun, its inevitable.

Why do we need the tanks and such out? Its not like you can drive a tank over to America anyway...Not like any of them know how to operate an Abrams, etc etc.

However, I do think we could self-destruct all of our equipment and just get the hell out of Dodge. That would be my personal opinon, maybe not the most military-friendly.

Then again, maybe we should be careful about our withdraw, but do it as fast as possible...starting yesterday. #, starting four years ago.

Let's just all go home and have a nice cup of tea.

We've done enough damage in the Middle East. Let's let them deal with the problems now...I don't know how they're going to be able to do that after we dismantled their military and destroyed massive parts of their cities...and stolen their oil right from underneath their eyes...

Halliburton and Blackwater are a few of the big players here making millions possible billions off of our tax dollars and Iraqi slave labor. Nice one guys
. Cheney must be getting some serious royalties.

Ok if I wasn't clear let me lay it down. I don't have the answers, I don't pretend to know what is going to happen here. But we can't continue to support an unjust war started over bull# reasons and expect the world to accept it. We have done a lot of damage and there's no way around that. However, staying in Iraq is only making things worse.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Or they can just do what they did with all the equipment during the first gulf war, buried in an undisclosed location.

See during the first gulf war the government didn't even bother with bringing many of the equipment so they just disposed of it.

Now about this administration and its surge we all knew it was no going to work and we all know is not going to be working no matter how long this administration wants to push it.

What many forget to see is that our troops are needed to secured the building of the massive embassy to house the private interest doing business in Iraq.

And to provide support onces the oil contracts are secure.

But I guess that with so many mercenaries for hire they have enough of them to do the job just as good or dirtier than our soldiers will ever do and at least our soldiers will not be blamed for any more casualties of war.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
What many forget to see is that our troops are needed to secured the building of the massive embassy to house the private interest doing business in Iraq.

And to provide support onces the oil contracts are secure.

But I guess that with so many mercenaries for hire they have enough of them to do the job just as good or dirtier than our soldiers will ever do and at least our soldiers will not be blamed for any more casualties of war.

Three very good points.

@ Biggie:
Im sure many US citizens and world citizens alike share the same sentiment and outrage that you do. Frankly i dont think leaving US military equipment or hiding it in the sand is the greatest idea. With such vicious insurgents roaming the area looking for whatever they can use, i think in the long run, it would cost more lives.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It seems while our troops are fighting and dying the Iraqi government is taking the whole month of August off :shk:

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I will tell you this much, The place where they hid the first gulf war equipment was not located in Iraq but not far away from it either.

And the equipment was blown to pieces first.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
@ Biggie:
Im sure many US citizens and world citizens alike share the same sentiment and outrage that you do. Frankly i dont think leaving US military equipment or hiding it in the sand is the greatest idea. With such vicious insurgents roaming the area looking for whatever they can use, i think in the long run, it would cost more lives.

Reread my post. I said self-destruct them first, kind of along the same lines as Marge.

Who are they going to attack anyway? We'd be hiding safely in our corner of the world wouldn't we?

I don't think its right that the Kurds, Iranians, or even civilian Iraqis should suffer due to US military equipment. That's why we blow it all up first, bury it in the sand and hope no one finds the wreckage. We can transport it over to Saudi Arabia if we have to. Our President is buddy buddy with their Abdullah.

Fred, from your yahoo source:

The White House and other top officials previously had worked to persuade the parliament to remain at work, saying it would send a bad signal if the Iraqi lawmakers went on vacation while U.S. troops were fighting and dying.

Snow said that a scheduled Sept. 15 progress report on by Gen. David Petraeus was important, yet said he also said that was not a deadline. He said progress can be made even if the parliament is not in session.

"You're assuming that nothing is going on," Snow said.

"Let's also see what happens because quite often when parliaments do not meet, they are also continuing meetings on the side. And there will be progress, I'm sure on a number of fronts," the spokesman said.

Wait a second...Iraq report not a deadline? What?

I love how Snow is still in business. Have you seen his hair recently? Its stark white. He must be under a lot of stress covering up all of Bushie's errors and Cheney's corruption scandals.

Poor guy
. hahaha.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Comments like this should piss the hell out of US soldiers and citizens:

"My understanding is at this juncture they're going to take August off, but, you know, they may change their minds," White House press secretary Tony Snow said.

Too bad US soldiers cant change their minds about going to fight in a 130 degree heat while the Iraqi government spends the whole month off. Granted its hot for anyone, but im sure the governmental offices have A/C.

Edit to biggie: sorry i missed that man, i see what your saying.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
That's why we blow it all up first, bury it in the sand and hope no one finds the wreckage. We can transport it over to Saudi Arabia if we have to. Our President is buddy buddy with their Abdullah.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! it doesn't have to be in Iraq at all, the same way that is places like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia where it can be done with and forgotten.

Until this day I have not heard anybody saying that old blown equipment parts has been found somewhere in the desert.

The same way that I also know that our government has use the sea to dispose of let said unwanted equipment in the past.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
The same way that I also know that our government has use the sea to dispose of let said unwanted equipment in the past.

Aye, I even forgot about that one. Iraq has ports...The sea is right there. We can just drive them all off a cliff and forget about it. This may not be the most eco friendly way of deconstructing these materials, but it will save a lot more lives this way. Maybe we can put all the tanks on a few aircraft carriers and decommission them there...then either dump them or airlift them home.

We do have countless Hercules still in action, I don't know why we can't just fly 24/7 for a while? Oh, because of the cost...Right. Yet we're spending millions a day to lose a war. Riiiiight. That makes sense.

No worries InSpiteOf.

top topics

join