It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tarot cards: A window of genuine divination ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I pose the question here are Tarot cards really a mirror of destiny or simply a curiosity for those who choose this method of clairvoyance?
How many of our ATS community have practiced with Tarot or consulted a Tarot practioner?
How does this method of divination supposedly work and what level of precision have you experienced from the practitioner?
Lots of questions!
Can anyone share their experiences on this subject as I have recently recieved an Arthurian Tarot deck as a belated birthday gift.

Arthurian Tarot

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Using decks and understanding the use of them was a draining of my energy. Once I figured out what the card might mean and the interpitation of that card and cards I applied my thought process to understand the meaning of what the person being read to mean. This physically drained my energy. Its a divining meathod to learn about ones future and past and present. I used Ryder waite and I have used Gypsy ones as well. I know longer do this as it was a drain to my energy level and well being. Good luck and remember to place your cards under your pillow at night and play with them to get your energy in them, and tell the truth in what you see in them. 1st thought is the most accurate.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I too used to read these quite a lot, mainly for friends of friends or people i worked with and their partners as I didn't feel right doing it for people i knew well.

I wouldn't consider myself overly psychic, or claim to have any special gifts but according to most people I was pretty much always spot on with regards to people past readings and a lot of what I predicted tended to come true.

I used the Ryder waite also and like the poster above I would tend to read the card for what it showed and then try to feel how it applied to the person I was with, this would often mean a card would have a totally different meaning from person to person as previous cards that I turned would often change the meaning as well.

I tended to do either the classic cross formation or a 9 card tree depending on what i felt like

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I read tarot for a great many years and though I don't anymore, I still have several of my decks as curiosities.

I do not believe they can predict the future, or anything of the sort. When I read, it was more like a dream interpretation -- the cards always represented emotional states for the person being read, not really prophecy, but symbolism that was just vague enough to mean almost anything. Looking back on it now, I believe that a talented reader is performing a version of cold reading.

The cards are pretty, and can be a fun sort of emotional inkblot test, but I don't believe they are a tool to see the future or the past in any way.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
i also recieved a gift of tarrot cards for my birthday so i started to use them according to the directions and everything that the tarrot cards displayed was true or happened or happened after using them.

so i would say, yeah tarrot cards are a window of divination

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I would say they are not a valuable tool. Several years ago I became interested and began reading, I also wrote in a notebook the questions and what the cards showed, not just for myself, but friends I read for as well. I recently ran across that notebook and found that the cards were correct less than half of the time. About like guessing.

And I agree that it can be draining.

Vikturtle

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I knew a lady in Milwaukee who read cards. Her grandmother taught her when she was little. She said that she didn't even look at the card directly, but went with whatever took her attention -- a color, an object, a feeling.

She gave me one reading. I never asked a question, but she told me pretty much what was happening at that period in my life.

The reading that she gave me was using a deck that was not hers. She said her deck never left the house, as it was too old, and wasn't meant for 'fun readings', as it were. (The deck was her grandmother's... and I don't know who's before that. It was *old*.)

I have a deck, and I keep it safe. But I don't feel like I'm 'strong enough' (and I'm definitely not learned enough) to seriously get into it. The cards are a tool, and should be used as such. They can help you see something that you couldn't see before. Most of the time, the cards help you to distance yourself from the problem (when I gave myself readings), and see other possibilities that may not have been visible with the frustrated-tunnel-vision of being entangled in the problem itself.

When I started, I kept the cards on me at all times. In my pocket, in my purse, even strung around my neck under my shirt. (Looking back on it, it was probably overkill.) Putting them under your pillow is, I think, an excellent idea. Lots of energy and vibes put off while you sleep that aren't as hectic as when you're awake and dealing with life.

No matter how many books you read, or people you consult with... The best way that I know is to apprentice under someone who's been reading tarot cards for years. If that's not possible, then just take it slow. Don't expect too much of you, or the cards. (Expectation creates another tunnel-vision of sorts, and makes it more difficult to read accurately... simply because you read what you want to read, instead of what the cards present to you.)

Cug

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

I do not believe they can predict the future, or anything of the sort. When I read, it was more like a dream interpretation -- the cards always represented emotional states for the person being read, not really prophecy, but symbolism that was just vague enough to mean almost anything. Looking back on it now, I believe that a talented reader is performing a version of cold reading.

Ironic.. You don't believe they work then you show a page describing how they work.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I used to read cards for years too, read out of a bookstore, had good results, and many repeats.

Cards to me though were just tools for focussing and concentration... you could get just as good results using the pattern on your bedsheet.

I meditated a lot, and most of my interest and focus was on such topics...it's nothing scary, or even difficult, but reading/interpreting should be handled with care and respect.

I'd say many readings are cold readings to start off with, until you get a feel or connection, and then the most amazing messages can come through. Which are definitely not cold reads. But yeah, any Reader that says they have NEVER cold read...umm, I tend not to really believe. You can still be psychic, we all are anyways. Just some can tune in better.

I'm out of it now, had started a site : www.freewebs.com...
on the Lenormand, but is not active anymore. I just looked it up again in roughly a year due to this post, lol...

Have to find my log-in info

edit for grammar, clarification

[edit on 13-7-2007 by Soraia]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I have an aunt who can read regular playing cards (she doesn't use tarot).. she was taught by her irish grandmother. She was always spot on.

There was one time I didn't like my reading so I kept asking her to do it over and over..and each time the same cards would appear
. She doesn't touch the cards at all...The way she does it, I have to shuffle the cards and pick them out myself using my LEFT hand and she just reads them.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I've read Tarot for 25 years. When I read professionally, I ask the client to formulate a question, but not to tell me what it is until after I finish the reading. My readings have always been right on for everyone and they always tell me so. No, I don't do cold readings. If you know how to read the cards, you don't need to use such manipulative and dishonest techniques. I use it to tell people what the general situation is regarding their question. The feelilngs, thought and energies that are surrounding the question. I also use some of the things I learned as a therapist, i.e. questions to ask that will help the client be able to clarify things.
My landlady used to ask me to read for her parties in exchange for giving me a discount on my rent.

I have about 15 decks but these days I usually use the Greek Mythic deck. Each suit is about a Greek myth, 4 in all. It's very helpful to be able to see where you are in a situation and they're beautiful. They were developed by a Jungian therapist. I love Greek myths.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
From my experience, using cards such as Tarot or oracle for divination purposes, they don't tell me my future (occasionally in a vague way, though) or aid in speaking to spirits or anything like that. For the most part, they tell me of my actions and thoughts lately... for instance, if I'm stressed and exasperated about something, even if I don't realize it, it will tell me so. It will also give hints on what I can do about whatever the issue is. It seems more to me to be a way of going into my subconscious, figuring out how I feel deep down about things, and helping me think of ways to deal with my problems.

I've only had a couple of times something in the future has been predicted, and it's always been very vague. For instance, a year and a half ago, I kept getting messages that my life was about to change drastically, but in a good way. I'd get these messages for months, and then about a year or so after I started getting those readings, I ended moving out of state, meeting my soulmate, having improvements and support in my life which I did not have before.

As to messages like, "You'll meet a dark-haired man in three to four years and end up moving to Tahiti..." types of messages, I have never gotten those.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The cards work fine for me every time, every form of divination seems to work. Tarot is especially accurate.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
ive read tarot cards for many years now, and it is a pracitce that only gets more accurate as the person understands more of the dynamics of why it works. Tarot cards are an extension of your consciousness and commune with your clairavoyance, so to speak. Ive had very accurate results with them for years, ranging in all kinds of topics, personal, emotional, and of events, also the future. The results you get often depend on the level of experience of the user or their psychic abilities. In short, some people have difficulty using them, while others with more advanced clairavoyant abilities do very well.

everyone can use tarot cards, some just need to develope their psychic nature before hand. I can answer any questions you have about the tarot is you would like...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I like Tarot cards, and find them very useful. I could talk for a long time about cards. When it comes down to it, you have to find a deck that suits you and you feel comfortable with them.
I also want to add this, which may upset some, but its the truth to me.
Those who read tarot cards for money are not doing it justice.. Sure many people read and pay their bills with this. I feel its nothing different than a preist who uses people and claims they are going to hell if they dont pay money to the church, time, ect.. I dont wish to offend any of you who get paided to do this, yet I feel its wrong, and you will have to answer for this.
Working on peoples emotions and manipulating them at their weakest is down right wrong, and I wish more people could see threw this scam!!
I understand your not twisting peoples arms to have readings, and they freely pay you to do this.. Yet you know these people are easy "targets" and can be very manipulated by these reader types. If thats what you do, its kewl, I just dont trust it, or have any respect for those living off other peoples misunderstandings...
So please understand this is just one persons veiw, and not out to bash anyone who reads them for a living, becasue I do belive that cards work, but like with anything thats along these lines, its not suppose to be used to pay your bills, or buy materail world things!! Its to help your fellow man, and help them understand more about life, and their own path. Those who would prey on these people may need to step back for a moment and look what they are doing. If you can live with it, then by all means, your welcome to live that way. I just know I have been offered many jobs doing readings, offered money, and always turn it down. I dont want money for this, I dont want fame. I just simply like to make someone else feel better, or help them understand more about their lives. And tell them they are only cards, and it all comes from within. The cards tell you what you should already know... hence "cold reading".

[edit on 13-7-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I read tarot for a great many years and though I don't anymore, I still have several of my decks as curiosities.

The cards are pretty, and can be a fun sort of emotional inkblot test, but I don't believe they are a tool to see the future or the past in any way.

My Aunt can read tarot cards, she doesn't make up answers or do any cold reading, because she refers to a book, (she's not a proffesional reader but can read them none the less).

I would agree out the emotional state being read because she never told my future but I could understand alot about how I was feeling at that time in my life. It was too accurate to pass off as a fluke and there were too many correct details.
I would say if you believe it thats fine, if not, thats also fine, but I can definatly say she was very accurate.

You may say "she's your aunt, so she knows you" but we live more than 100 miles apart and don't often see eachother.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Zysin, just for the record, I only read for myself.
But I see what you mean about toying with people's emotions, and I am totally aware that some people do this.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MinHawk
But I see what you mean about toying with people's emotions, and I am totally aware that some people do this.

Yes is why I am treading lighting here saying what I said. Ive been at this for a long time, and have run into many charaters that abuse this. I have read your posts in the past, and you are very good hearted person Minni hawk, all your posts have reason and written with a bright mind.
Its good to be aware of those people, and I hope I dont offend anyone, but you know who you are, and those who know they do it for the right reason know in their hearts like you do Minni hawk.
Cards do work with the right people, its just very deep for me, and I feel very strongly and wish I could tell more people about the fraud, and never to pay for this stuff. You can find a good hearted person to just help you when you need the help. You should never have to pay for good advice, if your a good person to start with, what goes around comes around

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

Originally posted by MinHawk

Yes is why I am treading lighting here saying what I said. Ive been at this for a long time, and have run into many charaters that abuse this. I have read your posts in the past, and you are very good hearted person Minni hawk, all your posts have reason and written with a bright mind.
Its good to be aware of those people, and I hope I dont offend anyone, but you know who you are, and those who know they do it for the right reason know in their hearts like you do Minni hawk.
Cards do work with the right people, its just very deep for me, and I feel very strongly and wish I could tell more people about the fraud, and never to pay for this stuff. You can find a good hearted person to just help you when you need the help. You should never have to pay for good advice, if your a good person to start with, what goes around comes around

Aww, thank you! Yeah, I thought you were treading lightly and weren't flaming anyone. That's not the impression I got, anyway.

It's the ones that act like they know everything that I'd stay far away from. They're the worst.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I totally agree that there are people who would use it to scam or just not do it for the right reason and just to make money off of it. However there are some who do give their whole heart to it on every reading and are professional.

I also agree that you need to be very wise in the reading you give and choose your words carefully so as not to plant a thought or seed in someone's head.

They work if you believe they work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join