It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police given \\\"Head Cams\\\"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   

British Police given \\\"Head Cams\\\"

www.thisislondon.co.uk

Police officers in the UK are to be given head-mouted video cameras to film incidents and arrests, the footage of which can then be used in evidence.
A spokesman for the force said: \"The clear evidence provided by head camera footage means that offenders have less opportunity to deny their involvement, leading to less paperwork for the police, earlier guilty pleas, less time spent in court and an increase in convictions.\"
Mr McNulty said: \"The use of body worn cameras has the potential to improve significantly the quality of evidence provided by police officers in the drive to reduce crime, the fear of crime and increase the proportion of offenders brought to justice
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This is realy cool stuff, i how that they would have these on, almost all the time, think about what will be seen through this 1st person video.

The British are not afraid of video technologly, i wish the US would have what the British have, cameras everywhere, it would put Gang violence way down here in the US.

www.thisislondon.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I'm not sure it would deal with the gang culture, we have our fair share of that here in the UK.

That said though, i think this will not only give a first person account of events, but hopefully will make some of the less professional police members out there think before they carry out unprofessional actions.

When you know that your every move is being recorded and may end up as evidence, even against you, believe me you are a lot more cautious, and professional.

The drawback comes when the police are sometimes too restrained in thier actions for fear of what may and may not be deemed as proper.

CX.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
The drawback comes when the police are sometimes too restrained in thier actions for fear of what may and may not be deemed as proper.

Yes exactly what I was going to say. I personally think that most police aren't hard enough, they take so much crap from people these days because people know that they can get away with it. You can resist arrest as much as you want these days and a policeman will never be able to strike you or be too heavy handed with you. Cameras might just make this worse, with police holding back even more and becoming incompetent because they don't want to look bad.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Great idea! Now we need it in the states so that our cops don't go beating up on people because they had a bad day.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Existing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

join