It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Smile, you're on camera!' Police to get 'head-cams'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Source

Wow, i wonder when this will become standard practice in the USA. You guys thought you cornered the market on street cameras? Now you're really covered.

:shk:

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Sorry, is this a problem?

After all, instead of being convicted on the "word" of an "upstanding" Police Officer, there will now be footage of any interaction with said Police, so it could work both ways.

The Police could claim, i don't know, that you resisted arrest. The video could show that you didn't.

On the flip side, if you argued with the Policeman and then stabbed him, they'll have some footage of the dude doing it. Hard to say it wasn't you, really.

Or is this another "UK is a Police State" thread that me and neformore will have to get stuck into?

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
To me, there seems to be 3 questions/issues with this:

1) It should increase the protection afforded to police officers as there is a record of their activities and duties, which to me is no bad thing. We expect our police officers uphold the law, and if this makes one people thing about have a "pop" at a police officer, then great.

2) Stumason has touched on this point in his reply. We will get away from the he said, she said arguement and be able to have a recording of the events that all sides will be able to review. This should be seem as a positive on both sides, and may, reduce the number of cases as guilt may be more evident.

3) what powers are the police using to record me? Will I have the ability to ask for a copy of the recording if the police officer is just walking around and captures my image? How is my image going to be protected?

Will these cameras be on all the time a police officer is patrolling? And for how long will the recording be kept?

On balance, I see this as a positive step forward but think the we need to be made aware of our rights in relationship to any recording made.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
3) what powers are the police using to record me? Will I have the ability to ask for a copy of the recording if the police officer is just walking around and captures my image? How is my image going to be protected?

Will these cameras be on all the time a police officer is patrolling? And for how long will the recording be kept?

As per normal CCTV, it is subject to the DPA. You could ask these questions from your local constabulary and, for a small admin fee of no more than £10, obtain any images or information stored on you. It might be helpful if you could provide a time/date and location, as I would imagine they would have a few GB's worth of images at any one time.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Come on! Yes, its the New World Order at work and yes, you stumbled onto another one of those threads.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP

The cameras should not be used in general patrolling unless it is part of a specific operation, such as public order duties. Recordings not to be used in evidence should be deleted within 31 day

If people don't have a problem with the dash-board cameras, why have a problem with this? It will help bring justice to the victim if the officer does something wrong, and to the officer if they get falsely accused of something.

Plus it would make better episodes of COPS if they wore them in America

[edit on 14/7/2007 by enjoies05]

join