It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Formation of the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
How did the Universe form? What existed before it? If nothing existed before it, where did the materials come from in order to form it? Was it just nothing? Nothing existed at all?

It's quite ming boggling when you think of just how big our universe is. As humans, we aren't in the slightest bit big compared to the Universe. The furthest reaches of our surroundings, for the most part, are built by us, excluding mountains and natural developments such as those. So we've built our surroundings and they all have limits. They're all bigger than us, so we see them as superior in size. But then to think that even those things are not even .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 and on and on and on compared to the Universe...it's really amazing.

What if the Universe isn't the entire Universe? What if it's just a solar system or a galaxy in a much bigger space body?

The vastness is amazing. I wonder why more people aren't fascinated with the Universe.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I think alot of people are interested but they are resigned to the fact that we will never know the answers. I mean you can always go down the religious path but thats not as fun.

"God created everything in six days." Yeah but who created God?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Maybe you should read some Carl Sagan books. He'll answer your questions as well as give you even more awe of the Universe.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Break down the word and lets see what we get shall we?

Uni Verse / Uni= 1 or single Verse = Spoken sentence

So therefore the UniVerse is a SINGLE SPOKEN SENTENCE possibly GOD said let there be...

In the scientific realm the first law of Conservation says " Matter can not be created or destroyed" so evolution breaks all the known laws of True Science. You gotta admit its funny how a fairy tale is accepted by so many as truth. By fairy tale I mean a girl kisses a frog and it becomes a Prince instantly, that is evolutions theory other than the instantly part. In evolution fairy tale you kiss a frog and in billions of years it becomes a Prince...

How does the amount of time change the Fairy Tale???

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

So therefore the UniVerse is a SINGLE SPOKEN SENTENCE possibly GOD said let there be...

In the scientific realm the first law of Conservation says " Matter can not be created or destroyed" so evolution breaks all the known laws of True Science. You gotta admit its funny how a fairy tale is accepted by so many as truth. By fairy tale I mean a girl kisses a frog and it becomes a Prince instantly, that is evolutions theory other than the instantly part. In evolution fairy tale you kiss a frog and in billions of years it becomes a Prince...

How does the amount of time change the Fairy Tale???

WTF does evolution have to do with the creation of the Universe?

The only fairy tale here is god. I can see the Universe, but I can't see god. deal with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:51 AM
link   
The universe is eternal imo

news.yahoo.com...

Black holes contain singularities,our universe started from a singularity.there are many black holes in our universe.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I don't take the religious path, because I agree, if God did it, who created God?

I just think the entire universe and it's formation and what could have existed before it is fascinating. Lots of questions come to mind when thinking about it. I mean, if before the universe, there was just some dust and different types of matter, where were they? Just moving around through a white endless area? If so, what existed before those particles?

It's really very interesting and it's a shame that we'll probably never know the truth. We can speculate and use our imaginations, but there's never any real way to know the truth.

Also a way out there speculative "theory", what if our universe was created by some intelligent life form? I heard a while back that Japanese scientists said they could create a universe, and it'd detach from our universe, and could possibly grow. So what if there was an intelligent life form in some other universe that did the same thing?

Cool stuff, that's for sure

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
my understanding of the universe is everything that has and is existing, including time and space so no one can create the universe because the universe needs to exist for them to exist.
i believe that the universe wasn't created by a big bang because wouldn't that imply that the universe began at a certain point and that it was boundaries and doesn't extend for infinite.

maybe time only exists in the mind and the universe never began....

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The Universe is a vast energy field that exists in an as of yet unknown medium. Maybe it's an ether, maybe it's God, maybe they're one in the same. This energy vibrates in a multitude of ways, manifesting itself as every type of matter that exists.

We get tripped up trying to define the universe and our own reality because we cannot rely on the tools we have to undersand the world in which we live. Perception is limited to five senses for humans, and we seem to lack the current level of evolution or intelligence to comprehend much of anything that isn't local.

Make sense?

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

But that only works in 20th century English.

The word itself comes from the Latin word, "Universum" and "universus" which means "everythign turned into one. "Unus" means"one" and "versus" is a form of "vertere" which means "turn."

We also get "vertex" from "turn."

The Latin is a translation of the older Greek philosphical term, "holon" which means "the whole."

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
How did the Universe form? What existed before it? If nothing existed before it, where did the materials come from in order to form it? Was it just nothing? Nothing existed at all?

There are several theories, but right now science doesn't have enough data to answer that or to make a good choice between these models.

What if the Universe isn't the entire Universe? What if it's just a solar system or a galaxy in a much bigger space body?

One of the theories says that there are an infinite number of other universes.

The vastness is amazing. I wonder why more people aren't fascinated with the Universe.

Physicists, astrophysicists, and mathemeticians are among the many millions of people who are fascinated by the question. Many are so fascinated that they make the study of their universe a career.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Breaking down the word "universe" in any language means absolutely nothing when deciphering the beginning of the universe. Our word were not used billions of years ago and contain no meaning when the universe was formed or what not. A word was made by man and the word universe could have been named #zel fitz instead to explain the same.

Like someone else mentioned. The universe could be what we believe to be neverending because we can't explain past what we already know. The universe may be something small within something larger that we can't comprehend at this time. Our glaxay, other galaxy's, billions of galaxy's, universe, other universe's, billions of universe's and you can keep on going till we can throw another name in the dictionary beyond universe.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i take it that scientists understand how it formed,

a point in space accretes until it's a fusion sun, it becomes a crucible
of intense heat energy & pressures to create even heavier elements,
the sun goes super-nova and the scattered parts accrete into suns, perhaps solar systems...and the processes keep repeating...growing

what is the WHY, ?
as in Why does a Universe exist at all?

some say that the void of nothingness is the flashpoint that makes quanta
materalize from the eternal void...something from nothing

[edit on 15-7-2007 by St Udio]

top topics

join