It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Highgate Vampire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
"One evening in January, my car broke down in Swains Lane. I pulled into the parking space by the cemetery gate. I am a practical person - even considered conservative - and such things as ghosts do not or did not, scare me. Suddenly, however, I noticed a terrible apparition gloating at me through the bars of the gate. Not being very brave I turned and ran - tripping head-first into a puddle and ruining my best suit. Scrambling to my feet, I took a quick look over my shoulder, but to my great relief, the 'thing' had gone. It never occurred to me it could have been a vampire, but if it was, then I consider myself lucky to be alive."
P.F., Milton Park, Highgate, N6.

This quite amusing incident was one of many that occured near and within Highgate cemetary in the 1970's. I remember the case, as it was discussed in the local and national newspapers, but it was only recently that I discovered that one of the protaganists, Bishop Sean Manchester, had documented the case and his part in it.

This website used part of Bishop Manchester's book The Highate Vampire, as its primary source of information, and is probably the best one on the net.

The Nosferatu experience - The Highgate Vampire

The author of the website does not follow the book to its conclusion, and does not include photos of the 'vampire' as taken by Bishop Manchester during his final exorcism. If you want to see them, the pix are here

A shorter description of the case, including the final exorcism of the 'vampire' is to be found here

ID

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Do you know why they continue to refer to this phantom as a vampire? It seems extremely misleading as this spirit displays none of the characteristics of a vampire. vam�pire 1-A reanimated corpse that is believed to rise from the grave at night to suck the blood of sleeping people. 2-A person, such as an extortionist, who preys upon others. It would seem as though this creature is not a vampire at all. If it were it would have chased and attacked the witness in your post.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If you check the links, you'll see that the entity acted in the normal manner of a vampire. Also, at the end of the case, Bishop Manchester actually impaled it with a stake and burned it. Don't ask why the authorities didn't arrest him - I have no idea ... unless, of course, they knew what Manchester was dealing with and were pleased that he did so.

ID

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Well you must take into acount that this did happen a good thirty years ago. By that I mean that people were probably much less skeptical back then and would have most likely believed that this thing was a vampire no questions asked. I know that even in today's modern world I would not want to investigate a case of this nature. Also I do not believe that the fact that they stabbed it in the heart makes it a vampire. If you think about it anyone is going to die if they have this done to them.

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The author of the website does not follow the book to its conclusion, and does not include photos of the 'vampire' as taken by Bishop Manchester during his final exorcism. If you want to see them, the pix are here

Gotta admire his taste in victoms

ID

posted on Jan, 11 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
How do they know it was not simply not a crazy person? There have been many cases where someone is considered a vampire simply because they drink blood when it could simply be that they are insane. Here is a good example from right here on ATS: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am not completely discounting the fact that this may in fact have been a creature that was supernatural however what evidence is their to support this theory and debunk that the attacker was simply not of his right mind?

top topics

join