It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army field manuals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I find that US Army field manuals are great for information for survival type situations, the only problem is finding them.

Every now and then Barnes & Noble has one for sale in a hardcover version with a civilian publishing cover but this is rare and I have only seen 1 or 2.

Does anyone know of a good source besides military surplus stores (we dont have many of these here so ...)? Like a website when I can find a PDF version perhaps.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What FMs are you looking for? I probably can guide you in the right direction..I have most of them in my office..(been in the Army 10 years..)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
www.usapa.army.mil

Is a great website..I think you need a CAC(Common Access Card) and pin to be able to download some of them though

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the link clevengercm, pretty much what I was looking for. I have a few physical versions of various FMs from stores, family members that are veterans, etc

PS: I did a brief test and some (if not most) can be accessed by non military personnel as long as you accept the session certificate.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I tried several of them, and all of them brought up a password field...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I tried several of them, and all of them brought up a password field...

Try this link instead, I just found it and they are totally open to the public (being that its a public website):

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
ChrisF, thank you for the link.

While there are some of the manuals mentioned, there is not the same kind of breadth that the military site has. I couldn't find a strictly 'survival' book that the military website had.

All I found was survival, evasion, and recovery which I won't complain about though

Better than nothing.

Anybody have a pin number to share?
. I won't sell it to the Taliban I swear.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Half Price Books, if you have one close by, usually carries these.
Or, alternately, any used book store.

It used to be pretty easy to obtain one of these. I can't imagine why it'd be a rare book nowadays.

Ebay, certainly has them. That might be the easiest way to get them.

[edit on 7/13/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I got all mine through peer to peer sharing.
If you utilize such access, you will find most of them.

edit: here is an earlier thread with some resources.
ATS Survival thread

[edit on 13/7/07 by shadow watcher]

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Also look at Amazon. They have a few military publications that might be what you are looking for.

I also found a lot of FMs on globalsecurity.org.

apc

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I have a hundred or so Army FMs in PDF, and whatever I don't have I can probably get pretty quickly. As far as hardcopies I'm not sure beyond already mentioned. When I want a hardcopy I usually just print off the PDF duplexed and then glue-bind them myself. U2U me for a list of what I have on hand. I can bind and ship as well.

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Is there any of those army handbooks that detail hand to hand combat?

apc

posted on Jul, 30 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
FM 21-150 Combatives
Hand-to-Hand Combat

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I forget the exact FM but the one about Field Sanitation would be most excellent for a true Sit X scenario. It's a lost art even within the millitary. Reading about flies and poo probably not as exciting as combatives but a good sanitation plan is a prerequisite to getting society back on its feet.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
There are several field manuals free in PDF format at The Black Vault.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
yah I just went out and bought the British SAS survival guide for 10$ and its jam packed with all kinds of neat things!

new topics

top topics

join