It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former premier likens Australia PM Howard to Hitler

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Former premier likens Australia PM Howard to Hitler

news.yahoo.com

CANBERRA (Reuters) - A comparison of Australian Prime Minister John Howard's nationalism to that of Nazism prompted outrage on Thursday, with one top minister calling the former leader who said it an "unguided missile."

Former Prime Minister Paul Keating, who led the country from 1991 until defeated by Howard in 1996, used a speech on Wednesday to accuse Howard of being a Nazi-like nationalist rather than a patriot for disparaging multiculturalism and so-called "elites."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Its interesting to see how far the 'Big Three" of Bush, Blair and Howard have fallen. It seems a concerted effort is underway to oust Howard. If a different government is elected, will Australia pull out of Iraq?

I am always troubled by the comparison to Hitler for even politicians I dislike. Yes some have bit and pieces of his persona and attitude in them, but few can match is pure evil.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Fred T, I agree about the comparison to some extent. But for years to come we will use this template of Hitler to measure the degree of evil and megalomania we see in others. It is the same as when a person says that someone is Christlike. They don't mean that this person is without sin, but that they share some of the attributes that we see in the story of Christ.

And there are grounds, rational ones, that are the basis of such comparisons.

[Edit to add: I are having trouble with verb tenses.]

[edit on 12-7-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Using the Hitler line is an old political toy and is the first step to demonizing and ruining a person. Dont get me wrong, im no fan of the guy, i just find it interesting that the previous premier would even bother to use that connection.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I thought of Godwin's law when I first heard this, but he actually made an interesting distinction about how Howard is a nationalist, rather than a patriot, as was Hitler.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

"Nationalism is, I believe, a dangerous and divisive tendency: its stock in trade is jingoism, populism and exclusion of the most calculating kind," Keating said, as quoted in The Australian.

[...]

"A cornerstone of nationalism is the propensity to call into question the motives or to attack the attitudes of other members of the national family.

[...]

"Indeed, Adolf Hitler, perhaps the exemplar populist, wrote explicitly on the subject in his Mein Kampf: 'I was a nationalist but not a patriot'.

[...]

I say this not to suggest or to align in any way Margaret Thatcher or John Howard with Adolf Hitler," he said.

"To do so would be as unreasonable as it would be absurd.

"I use Hitler's words in this narrative only to make the distinction between nationalism and patriotism which he himself made.

[...]

"The nationalism surrounding the First World War and Gallipoli in particular has fuelled the Australian conservative story for nine decades — the same nationalism which prevented the conservative parties from similarly celebrating Australian heroism in Papua New Guinea and Southeast Asia.

Good on him.

You can view the video of the speech on this page.
abc.net.au

[edit on 12-7-2007 by fingapointa]

[edit on 12-7-2007 by fingapointa]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Unhum, let's just scrap Godwin's Law. A lot of people just really are as bad as Nazis.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Howard will be gone at the next election as will a whole bunch of his supporting ministers.

Kevin Rudd will win the election, but whether it will be better for Australia only time will tell. I personally have never liked Howard thou he has been a strong leader and I agree with his immigration policies more than anything else. His social and industrial policies leave alot to be desired.

Anyway, I think Australia will change with a Rudd government.....we WILL pull out of Iraq and concentrate more in Afghanistan and south east asia.

Whilts doing this, Rudd will be sucking up to the Chinese and selling them as much natural resources as is available because we all know how much he fanicies the Chinese, which I beleive to be worng for they ahve shown themselves to be ruthless politically and with their intelligence community (refer to Chinese spies trying to steal MetalStorm technology).

At the same time, we will be the USA's lap dog.

So how I see it, Australia will dangerously though quite possibly successfully play both sides, thou if it comes unstuck, we will be in the worst position imaginable.

Bit like a hooker doing two big business men in seperate rooms at the same time, seeing who can offer her more. (best analogy I could think off)

Why cant we have a strong Australian leader who is a patriot and upholds the virtues of democracy, a true statesmen who can project this positive influence upon others and lead by example. (only in my dreams I guess)

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia

Why cant we have a strong Australian leader who is a patriot and upholds the virtues of democracy, a true statesmen who can project this positive influence upon others and lead by example. (only in my dreams I guess)

The short answer: they're in real short supply worldwide.

Actually, I hadn't realized that other western nations were having such a spurt of un-democratic activity. Almost seems like they're all getting into the act.

top topics

join