It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Experienced a Miracle Yesterday

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I've seen lightning close-up too, when I was a baby. I can clearly remember being held in my gran's arms, at the window, looking out at the rain. I looked up and a fork of lighting came towards me and stopped in the sky about the height of my house. It didn't appear to hit anything, it just stopped abruptly and a little red spark slowly floated down to the ground and hit the road. Awesome.Your prayer reminded me of something too. When I was in labour with my daughter there were complications and after they paralysed my body from the chest down with some injection and were wheeling me through to theatre all panicking, I closed my eyes and Bob Marley started playing in my head. I didn't go to sleep and I was aware of every thing but all I did was repeat his verse "Everything's gonna be alright" over and over again till my daughter was born and I was tucked up in bed afterwards. Later they told me if I'd been at home for the home birth I'd planned I'd be dead and so would my daughter. The head doctor said it was a miracle. The song was like a prayer or mantra and got me through the lot. I just don't know where it came from unless it was built in to some sort of mental safety valve I didn't know I had. p.s.I feel so sorry for your dog. I bet he doesn't want to go anywhere in the car now.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thanks for the love, all.

A few responses:

Originally posted by Islamorada
Even though because of the tires on a car, you are completely safe from lightning inside one (the car is 'grounded' by the rubber tires), Im sure it was a very scary experience if it got you to praying.

Originally posted by -0mega-
I too, do not truly see a miracle in this. (Like the poster above, you were lucky indeed).

However, the reason for me thinking this is because you simply survived a lightning strike.

The "Miracle" in question wasn't so much that I was almost struck by lightning. Lots of people get struck by lightning and live, far more have had lightning strike near them.

The Miracle I spoke of was having the road blasted out from under me at 60mph, blind from rain and lightning flash, hydroplaning, then hitting a crater and losing control of my bearings--and then having it all go away within seconds of praying. Well that and not getting in a wreck from it. Generally those sorts of things taper off. Unfortunately, lacking the proof of a crater really kinda defeats the credibility of the account.

I'll be the first to admit there are a lot more impressive miracles that could have happened, like the car being lifted up by the hand of God, or an angel appearing and holding up a magic shield, or the Virgin Mary appearing in the molton asphalt stains, but the fact I didn't get killed in a car wreck with all those bad luck strikes at the same time is a miracle I'll be happy to keep with me the remainder of my life.

Originally posted by highfreq
Thanks for sharing your experience thelibra! In light of this manifesting itself in your life, will you continue to pray?

I never stopped praying or believing in God. I only stopped being a Christian.

Admittedly, though, this is the first time in a long time that I've used the Lord's Prayer. The last time I used it was in a dream, perhaps a decade ago, where I dreamt I was in a car wreck, flying through the windshield, and somehow had time to recite it while airborn, before impact with the ground or whatever it was I was going to hit.

Dreams, eh?

Originally posted by ilandrah
The splatters on the car don't really look like asphalt to me - you can see where the water has made the spots run down the car, they look more like mud splatters in my opinion.

It's a fair assumption, but one problem with it. Mud would have been washed off in the almost constant rain we've had lately. I'm really not sure why the shape of the asphalt spatters are the way they are. I'd have thought the "cones" would have pointed the other direction. The only thing I can figure is that they are stains from being rained on since then. We've had rain every single day in Texas for going on 2 months straight, and I keep my car outside.

However, I leave open the possibility it could be mud. I'll try and clean some off when I get home and see what it takes to get the stuff off the hood. If it comes off with water and elbow grease, then yeah, that's mud. I'm not sure what cleans off asphalt outside of lava soap though. Rubbing alcohol? Vinegar?

Originally posted by ilandrah
None of which makes the story any less credible - are you sure that you didn't wander on to the verge of the road?

Actually, no, I'm no longer certain. I was certain yesterday before the drive, but coming back from 380 on 35, there's a LOT of shoulder in places, and with such low visibility, plus the hydroplaning, I could very well have drifted on the shoulder thinking I was maintaining the right-hand lane. As previously mentioned, I couldn't see the lane-lines at the time.

I do know for certain though that the road in front of the car blew up. That much was absolutely illuminated by the bolt and the chunks hitting the windshield before the ghost image of the bolt made it impossible to see anything afterward.

Originally posted by wigit
p.s.I feel so sorry for your dog. I bet he doesn't want to go anywhere in the car now.

Strangely, she seems to have no ill effects from the experience except a mistrust of lightning. She still wags her tail excitedly and tries to follow me out to the car when I leave. I guess dogs are more carefree than humans, or more forgetful, or something...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'd call it a miracle, not that that means anything. Anyone wanting to call it "dumb luck" I can't argue with. Who knows? But an attitude of thankfulness is definitely not unwaranted in this case, I'd say.

Originally posted by thelibra
I'm not sure what cleans off asphalt outside of lava soap though. Rubbing alcohol? Vinegar?

WD-40 will work in a pinch, but if it's a relatively new car, WD-40 will also take off the clear coat. Your best bet is some stuff available at any drug store called Goo Gone.

Good products, all. It's citrus based, so environmentally friendly and I've used their stuff extensively. Here's their site-

www.magicamerican.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
thelibra,

Glad you and the dogs are still around to share your story. Don't feel so down, you're a poster child for defensive driving.

Wicked

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
An amazing story! I really enjoyed reading about your experience. That must have been incredible to go through! Not many people get the chance to experience something like that and tell about it afterward.

I live in the Southwest and some of the monsoon storms can get pretty wicked, I know. The lightening is just vicious!

Glad you (and the dog) are ok!

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Now this is weird. While I just was reading this thread. The internet radio my boss has on at the moment is playing "and I wonder, still I wonder; Who stopped the rain?"

What a coincidence.

I'm glad that you came out of that perfectly ok, thelibra.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It will only be a miracle if you believe it was one.
Your prayer was answered, because you believed it would.
Your description of the lightning was fascinating.
I can tell you have a newfound faith. Congratulations!

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Maybe this event was a signal to you about something in your life.. synchronicities have been happening to myself, and many close friends of mine lately, and there is definatly something "in the air". Nothing happens by chance, everything is part of some order.

Whether it was just an event to shock you (lol), or an event to get you thinking, is entirely up to you. Only you know the meaning, because only you experienced the event.

But i would say lightning striking the road just infront of you is pretty suggestive, to say the least. Miracle or no miracle, when something amazing happens, it peaks the interest of the observer.

How do you feel about that angle/perspective?

Also, i don't think you could have gotten any closer to lightning, so treasure the memory either way!

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I've been caught in a similar situation, regarding the lightning and all. I remember we were driving on a highway on a VERY stormy Pennsylvania afternoon. The lightning struck right in front of our car, and it was surprisingly bright for being so thin. It was pretty scary; and luckily we were the one of the few cars still driving, because there would have been a crash that day for certain. A bolt hit a power transformer (I think thats what it's called?) and everything seemed to get darker, and then there was a flash of blue light. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but I thought it was pretty neat

I'm glad that you made it out alright
. Something definitely happened, whether it be a stroke of luck or the touch of god, it's undoubtedly interesting.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Libra, I'm happy to hear that you and your dog made it out that situation in one piece. People have said so many great words in this thread, which sometimes can seem like a tiny miracle in itself in this day and age. I've had three miracles in my life, which I will not go into here. But I think in a way everybody has miracles happen to them starting at conception and birth.

Don't listen to those who are the nay-sayers, you know in your heart what it really is and wrote about it quite eloquently in your original post. Some people may need proof, but you probably have all the proof you need from experience. I have a feeling you were probably part of a genuine miracle, because it is a miracle that you got out of situation like that unscathed. As said earlier, I also think that it makes you a poster child for defensive driving.

So many people underestimate the power of prayer, mantras and meditation. They are very special tools even if you don't believe in anything outside of this earth and this life. I think the "Our Father" may be a very special type of prayer, because as soon as you say the first line you are speaking true words of faith. At that specific time you said it, you had faith that is why you would say it. You thought the worst may happen, and you reached deep inside yourself and found it. That's powerful stuff!

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
Maybe this event was a signal to you about something in your life.. synchronicities have been happening to myself, and many close friends of mine lately, and there is definatly something "in the air". Nothing happens by chance, everything is part of some order.

Whether it was just an event to shock you (lol), or an event to get you thinking, is entirely up to you. Only you know the meaning, because only you experienced the event.

But i would say lightning striking the road just infront of you is pretty suggestive, to say the least. Miracle or no miracle, when something amazing happens, it peaks the interest of the observer.

I don't want to make this about me or go off topic, but I have also had very strange coincidences happen to me in the last 8-10 months almost too numerous to even mention. I have been randomly running into many people I haven't seen for many years. I have been for over a year now been waking up every night at 3:33AM after having unusual conversations with entities in my dreams that have been oddly enlightening when I can remember them. Music on my random MP3 playlist has just been downright odd in its poignant nature to what I am thinking or writing at that moment. I could, but won't go on further, but I will say one thing, nothing is better for a wake up call, than real life experience.

I am sure people could chalk it up to whatever they want, but it's definitely been a interesting ride this past year or so. I guess you could say something may be "in the air." I think I may have a good idea what's up, but I think Socrates said it best when he said "I KNOW nothing." I will say one thing seeing lightning up close is an amazing experience.

BTW, What would be cool is to start a topic where people just discuss random coincidences and synchronicities that they experience in their life. It would be definitely an interesting thing to talk about.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Amazing and very cool. I dont know how much respect I have for any churches......but I respect God.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Libra, I am in Decatur so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. If you are able to pray and get it to stop raining for even a moment this summer, that is a miracle!!

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Stockburn,

Dude... lol stop following me from thread to thread trying to discredit me. You are making yourself look like an obsessed wacko. Its borderline creepy and very annoying.

Its FACT, common knowledge even... that you are completely safe in a car when there is lighting even if it stikes the top or hood. A cars tires ground you 100%. This is scientific fact friend, not my opinion.

You have to bring up a convertable to try to discount me? C'mon man, gonna have to get better than you are doing thus far, pup!

Do you not see how petty and immature that analogy actually is? Not to mention an obvious attempt at attacking me, my word and my character. I dont know who you think youre playing with but youre messing with the wrong little girl... or is that it? Girls that beat you down make you hot? Turn you on? Whats your real deal punkin?

Im making admin aware of you, at this point.

Get a different hobby other than following me from thread to thread, kiddo.

Now that I have had a chance to defend myself, back to topic!

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
For the record:

It is indeed a myth that the rubber tires are what protects you if your car is struck by lightning. The protection you would receive from a vehicle with a hardtop is due to the 'skin effect' - where the electricty flows over the 'skin' and avoids the core (you sitting in the car). The skin effect won't save you in a convertible, because you aren't inside a 'skin'.

In order for the tires to do the protecting, they would need to be very thick tires. Maybe even a mile thick.

Now that we've sorted that out, let's get back to the topic at hand please.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I cant believe Im a chick and I know these things... stunning.

A golf cart or a convertable is the ONLY fear one would have concerning lightning.

Do people pull over and get under cover in horrid rain and lightning while driving? Are we even recommended to? No, they DO NOT and we ARE NOT unless its a visibility issue. Never a lightning issue... ever.

Lets use a common, everyday screwdriver. Screwdrivers have rubber handles exclusively for this reason. It isnt for looks its for purpose.

Most screw drivers will protect you to around only 12 volts, which is the shock one would receive from an automobile while performing maintenance. Whereas with a house, your dealing with either 110 or 220 volts. A rubber ended screwdriver isnt going to help you much there.

Again, one is 100% protected and safe from lightning when inside an automobile. Not 50, not 90... 100%.

Stop pulling things out of *snip* and step real!

Edited:

To add a link, this is just one of a million I choose because its short and to the point... completely backing up every word and claim concerning this issue I have made.

Misinformation can be a dangerous thing! Stop pushing it before someone gets killed by exiting their vehicle to run inside during a lightning storm. THAT would not be the thing to do if youre already IN the storm and in your vehicle. You should stay put... in your car, where you are safe! : )

(copy and paste it, this page isnt fully loaded and Im in a rush)

[edit on 15-7-2007 by Islamorada]

*Mod Edit - Removed inappropriate material*

[edit on 7/15/07 by niteboy82]

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
First, I am a chick.

Second, the link you provided says this:

The second best thing you can do is get inside a car. Close the windows and don’t touch any metal surfaces. If lightning were to strike the car, the lightning would travel around you and then go into the ground.

The reason the lightning would travel around you is due to the skin effect and has nothing to do with tires.

From the National Weather Service:

MYTH: The rubber soles of shoes or rubber tires on a car will protect you from being struck by lightning.

TRUTH: Rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from lightning. The steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal. Although you may be injured if lightning strikes your car, you are much safer inside a vehicle than outside.

Third, nobody suggested that you get out of your car in a lightning storm.

Fourth, we are still off-topic. The topic of this thread is I Experienced A Miracle Yesterday. I suggest we return to it.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
In keeping with topic... this would certainly rank up there with either miracle or luck... you decide!

www.baynews9.com. Video of a man being struck by lighting while in a cherry picker and living to tell about it.

The story is on the main page. Titled: Largo man injured in tree-trimming accident.

My computer protection wont allow me to use the scripted features. KIDS! hehe. They will kill a pc fast lol... if you let them!

[edit on 16-7-2007 by Islamorada]

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
thelibra,

I am new to these forums and I dont mean to have a negitave attitude as i see that you're a very respected person here. But the pictures you posted are not melted asphault. You have chipped paint that has rusted over a period of time. From that picture you can even see new paint chips where the steel hasn't rusted yet.

You must have some nasty stones and pebbles on the roads you drive to have done that much chipping on your hood. That can also explain why your windshiled has a big crack in it.

I dont deny that you had an experience and I'm not trying to take away from that but the damage to your car doesn't match your story.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join