It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Experienced a Miracle Yesterday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So, yesterday, I'm bringing one of our dogs home from a visit to the vet, when I drive through this horrific storm. It's one of those situations where my tiny little car is hydroplaning down the road, the sky and road have become the same blurred shade of gray, and the visibility is so poor I can no longer even see the lane-lines on the road's surface. I'm desperately trying to keep control of the car, and I've got my eyes, unblinking, glued to what I can only presume is the center of the road.

Lightning strikes--about five feet in front of my car.

My eyes were perfectly positioned to watch the bolt appear and, I kid you not, literally blow up the road in front of me. It was so close that chunks exploding outward from the initial blast exploded outward and hit the car, cracking the windshield, and leaving molten asphalt on the hood. At roughly the same moment the chunks hit my car, I hit the crater left by the lightning, but at 60mph, I bounced right back out of it.

I'm not sure how, but I kept control of the car and my bladder (the dog did not, not that I blame her), and now blinded the flash (not that I could have seen through the rain anyway), hydroplaning, wheel wobbling, and generally out of control, I sorta reverted back to something I learned in childhood.

I recited the Lord's Prayer. You know the one, "Our Father, who art in Heaven..."

Those who know me well on ATS know I'm not a Christian, but I was raised as one, and my beef was never with God, but rather the community itself. In times like this, though, I guess you just fall back on what you know.

Anyway, a few seconds after I finished, the ghost image of the lightning faded, the rain stopped, the clouds parted, the road dried out, the car straightened out, and the traffic even lightened up (in the middle of rush hour about 6pm). I've got some trouble shifting into third gear, but aside from that, I survived what probably would have otherwise been a killer stroke of bad luck.

I'm going to try and drive out there again today and get photos of the crater if its still there. I know roughly where I was. Anyone familiar with the DFW area, it was on 35W, southbound, in the right-hand lane, about halfway between Denton and Texas Motorcross Speedway, on 7/11/2007, between 5:45-6:15 (not sure, because the eyes were glued to the road at the time, and afterward I was in too much shock to do much of anything except drive.)

Anyway... three distinct observations I've gained from this:

• Visual - The lightning was remarkably small. Staring at lightning far away, you'd think "Golly, it must be HUGE up close", but it's not. There was a ball about the size of my fist in the middle, and two arcs of perhaps finger-wide thickness going up and down from the ball to the ground and up to the sky (presumably), with a few strands of thinner, string-width lightning coming off of it. The interior of the lightning was bright bright purple, about the same shade as Mace Windu's light-saber, but along the exterior edges, it was an angry glowing red. Sorta like if you could get a light to glow the same color as a Boston red-brick. Dark red, with its own seperate glow.

• Audio - There wasn't a rolling crackle, like I usually hear from lightning far away, but rather more like a "BzzPOP!!!!Bzzzzt..." I don't know if the POP came from the ball or from the exploding freeway. The sound, though, was remarkably muted. It was loud, about the same DBs as a black powder rifle (sorry, it's the most apt description I can think of), but not the Earth-shattering boom I normally hear from farther away. So I don't know if this was due to the doppler effect of my approaching the lightning bolt at such a speed from so close, or if thunderclaps need some space before they produce a sonic boom, or if my brain shut down the ears automatically in anticipation of the boom and it was actually that loud, or what.

• Prayer - Ironically, because I'd just listened to ATSMix earlier in the afternoon, I'd stumbled across a thread where a guy said he'd eat his hat if someone could dispute 50 arguments against the existence of God. Since they switched threads again rather quick, I only had time to read the first 1 out of 50 arguments, which basically requested the challengee to pray, and see if anything happens. Well I did, and it worked. Really really incredibly well, and it almost certainly saved my life. Call it what you will, the number of factors necessary for that many coincidences, in that close of a timeframe, are too astronomical for me to dismiss as mere accident of fate. Call it God, Magic, Energy, TK, or whatever, but it worked, and I'd go so far as to call it a miracle.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this experience. I'm going to try and get some photos and/or video as soon as I get off work. Obviously I can't capture footage of the lightning itself, but I can try to show the after-effects.

• posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:27 PM
    link   
    Very interesting story, thanks for sharing.

We'd all love to see pics the pics that you intend to take of the damaged road. In the mean time, pics of the damage to the car should suffice, preferably w/ an "I love ATS!" sign in the frame....you know....in case it makes the rounds on the web.

EDIT- Please know that I am in no way calling your integrity into question. You are an ATS staffer and long time member, so I am more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt. However, should this be an actual "miracle", one would be remiss if they did not ask for something that is most rare (and apparently abundant in this case)....evidence. Plus, I'm sure you would like to have a record of it for yourself.

I have flagged/starred the thread and post.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by Reality Hurts]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:58 PM
    link   
    That's amazing.... Would love to see a pic. I'm glad that you and your dog made it out of there alright! Every once in a while something like this happens to people. Some like to believe it was just a lucky coincidence, but I think it's really God trying to tell us something....

[edit on 12-7-2007 by selinakyle]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:06 PM
    link   
    wow it's amazing you are fine from that. My parents vehicle got struck by lightning on Allagator Alley once and the fact they didn't wind up in the swamp was amazing. THanks for your story...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:08 PM
    link   
    I don't mean to derail the thread, BUT.. I once had a strange experience with lightening (although not quite a miracle in my eyes!).. About a year or two ago I was in my kitchen and it was absolutely pouring down outside with lightening overhead. A bolt of lightening must have travelled through the walls of the house and struck just infront of me which wasnt the nicest experience- especially when it seemed to come from a wall (no window/ plug points or anything). Mind instead of saying the Lord's prayer I just sat in another room and hoped for the best.

There is probably a reasonable explanation that someone will know of such an event- Just thought i'd mention it as this thread reminded me of it slightly..

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:10 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Reality Hurts
    EDIT- Please know that I am in no way calling your integrity into question. You are an ATS staffer and long time member, so I am more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt. However, should this be an actual "miracle", one would be remiss if they did not ask for something that is most rare (and apparently abundant in this case)....evidence. Plus, I'm sure you would like to have a record of it for yourself.

Oh, absolutley. I'd demand nothing less, myself.

Now, granted, it's a freeway, but it's kinda out in BFE, compared to the rest of the Metroplex, so what I'm really hoping is that I can get there before traffic gets bad, and maybe even scrape up some samples from the crater, assuming I find it. I should be leaving soon, and will hopefully have some results tonight.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:40 PM
    link   
    Glad to hear you are ok, Libra! Never hurts to say a prayer once in awhile. If you don't believe in God, if it doesn't work, you're none worse for the wear and if it does you just might have been called on to witness him. Pretty cool! I've been priviledge to a miracle or two myself and it blows your mind and makes it difficult to deny God's existence.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 04:46 PM
    link   
    Failure.

Complete failure.

I drove all the way to Denton, to the 380 exit, turned around, and watched that road like a hawk. Not only could I not find the crater, I didn't even feel a ka-thunk from going over one. I did see a roller on the side of the road in the middle, and I saw the occasional asphalt patch in the right-hand lane, some even quite large, but no crater. I wasted the entire trip out there. Either they patched it up already, or the asphalt got hot and worn enough to mold itself out, or I was so blind in the rain that I was either in the left-hand lane or the emergency lane.

I'm really disappointed. This was as much a way of verifying this to myself as it was to y'all. I'm really sorry to let everyone down. The only evidence I've got now is these pics of the windshield crack (which proves nothing other than the fact it's a windshield crack), and these pics of melted asphault stuff on the hood of my car (which proves nothing either). Well, that and a third gear shifting problem, but that only proves I've got a problem with the transmission.

Here's the links, if anyone cares.

Melted Asphalt (Passenger Side)
    Melted Asphalt (Driver Side)
    Windshield Crack (Internal)
    Windshield Crack (External)

Like I said, though, they prove nothing. All I've really got to show for this now is faith and a memory. I'm sorry, everyone.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:03 PM
    link   
    What are you sorry for? You've never given me reason to doubt your word and I'm having trouble believing you'd make this up. Seems to me you received a miracle and thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:22 PM
    link   
    thelibra,

I used to live in Keller, TX.(not far from you experience) I do not doubt your experience or sincerity for a second.

I do know you pay taxes to have pot holes filled on the highways and roadways, so at least I feel confident some of your tax dollars are well spent and in a timely manor.

That being said when I read your post this morning I had a feeling that the potholes would be filled by the time you left work today to take pictures.

From what you described it would be to dangerous to leave them unfilled for any length of time.

I do thank you for sharing your story.

Stories of divine intervention are always inspiring.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:29 PM
    link   
    Even though because of the tires on a car, you are completely safe from lightning inside one (the car is 'grounded' by the rubber tires), Im sure it was a very scary experience if it got you to praying.

God works in mysterious ways!

Speaking of lightning, please excuse this off-topic information but its in the forefront of my mind and feel I need to let others know (Not hi-jacking just feel compelled to pass the word)

A young woman here was jogging today with her iPOD on and lighting ran through it... burned her badly, including her ear drums and broke her jaw. She is not doing well but expected to live. So, please be aware of this everyone and warn your children! Google iPOD lightning and you'll be floored at the number of cases!

Sorry is this is an intrusion! I enjoyed your story very much and hope to see images of the crater it left!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:03 PM
    link   
    The spaltters actually back up your account very nicely thanks Libra.

If it was a scene of crime, and those had been blood spats and we had an account as informative as yours to go on, I would say it was a solid case of account backed up by evidence.

The temp to melt asphalt into liquid to spatter like that is very high, the arc of spray from those pics say it was close but below wind shield level i.e. the road, and just to cap it off you have a broken wind shield, which has a crack in the manner expected of a small projectile at high speed.

As for the prayer, believe that as well - A miracle, one I thank you for sharing.

(I was scene of crimes trainee with a Police service here in the UK, but left to go back to uni to study some thing totaly different )

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:18 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Islamorada

Speaking of lightning, please excuse this off-topic information but its in the forefront of my mind and feel I need to let others know (Not hi-jacking just feel compelled to pass the word)

thelibra,
    Im sorry for distracting this thread and your story but as Islamorada states this is extremely important.

Again not to change topics but there was another story in the sun sentinel of the same thing happening to several other people.

Listen to an iPod during a storm and you may get more than electrifying tunes.

link

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:57 PM
    link   
    It is weird how we always seem t call on GOD when we feel we may be in trouble of one sort or another, what's even better is that the Good LORD uses these very instances to make himself known to his children and change their lives...

THANK GOD the Libra is still with us, LITERALLY!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:06 PM
    link   
    Thanks for sharing your experience thelibra! In light of this manifesting itself in your life, will you continue to pray?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:53 PM
    link   
    That was just beautiful. Libra I am so happy that our Lord and God Almighty has shown himself to you and us all through your sharing of miracle.

Thank you Lord for having mercy on our dear friend theLibra who had the misfortune of traveling through one your toughest tests of faith for anyone to endure. We are glad you saw it fit to keep theLibra here with us in this mortal realm, to where no doubt this soul will now have more opportunity to spread good faith and help others in dire need of such help at the times most needed. Peace out!

Glad to have you with us. I live in Florida and those storms are a dime a dozen here in the summer. People die all the time from situations like that in this state. I am very thankful to see you have been a part of such a miracle, and hope the best for your future. Spread the good word my friend.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:12 PM
    link   
    Not that I am a forensic investigator, or have any kind of experience in this field. But...
    The splatters on the car don't really look like asphalt to me - you can see where the water has made the spots run down the car, they look more like mud splatters in my opinion.
    None of which makes the story any less credible - are you sure that you didn't wander on to the verge of the road?
    With such low visibility it would be easy to do. This would also explain the lack of a pothole without the need for it to be filled so rapidly.
    As to the power of prayer...I am still not convinced that there will ever be any evidence of God. But I do believe in Providence.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:28 AM
    link   

Originally posted by Islamorada
    Even though because of the tires on a car, you are completely safe from lightning inside one (the car is 'grounded' by the rubber tires),

That statement is misinformation.
    Rubber tires have little impact on why you would be better off in a car. Would this incident be different if the car in question was a convertible if hit directly? I think Yes.

One is NOT completely safe in a car within a lightning storm (it might be safer than say, standing next to the tallest tree). The fact is electrical current travels on the OUTSIDE of a conductor, in this case, being the outer shell (roof/doors/etc) of a car. The current travelled on the outside of the vehicle and then down to the ground either from the rain or the tires themselves. Any chance they are steel belted?

Check out the Faraday Cage. Interesting concept.

Cheers,

BTW, Libra,

Glad to see you still around. One just never knows when.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:39 AM
    link   
    I fail to see what is miraculous about this.

Question - How many times does the lighting strike the earth in one day?

Number of thunderstorms occurring at any given time: 2000

Number of lightning strikes over the earth per second: 100

(The above numbers from this web site:
    www.lightningstalker.com...)

Expanding the lightning numbers...
    100 per second equals 6000 strikes per minute
    6000 per minute equals 360,000 per hour
    360,000 per hour equals 8,640,000 per day

Source.

Did you get lucky? yeah, sure you did, many people will live their whole lives without experiencing a lightening strike at such close quarters. Was it a miracle? Certainly not.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:57 AM
    link   
    I too, do not truly see a miracle in this. (Like the poster above, you were lucky indeed).

However, the reason for me thinking this is because you simply survived a lightning strike.
    Miraculous would be if you got blasted by ball lightning from within the car and survived, but this, nah.

Not to sound rude or mean, but I'd rather think a miracle would be COMPLETE shielding, rather than "I got attacked by flying pieces of asphalt but it didn't hit me, though my windshield cracked".

That said, just like in "I shouldn't be alive" I doubt that those were miracles as well, and those events sure are a hell lot more extreme than this.

But then again everybody should be allowed to believe what he or she wants, so I won't scold you for thinking this is a miracle

[edit on 13/7/07 by -0mega-]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join