It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a Job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here's a very short story I wrote for my first post on this particular forum. Hope you like it.

“This’ll get ‘em interested,” he thought, smiling to himself as he finished his post on the messageboard. His cursor hovered over the ‘submit post’ button and he allowed himself to savour the moment briefly before pushing the left mouse button and sending the information into the public domain for all to see. He wiped a bead of sweat from his suntanned brow and took a sip of Coke from the can on his desk. The excitement of releasing this information had started to fade somewhat and was starting to turn into fear. What if they caught him? He imagined the fall out from this. The job would be the first thing to go, and you could pretty much guarantee that if he was sacked from this job, he’d never get another and would end up on benefits for the rest of life. Pretty soon his wife would probably leave him too. She was way too used to the life of luxury for her own good. She placed more value on her Rolex and her Mercedes than she did on having any form of social conscience. In fact, did she even know how people other than her lived? Of course, that was assuming they didn’t just kill him.
He shut these thoughts out of his head and stood up, straightening his tie. He removed his USB memory stick from the computer and quickly put it in his pocket, glancing around the office as he did so. Nobody was paying the slightest attention to him. Nevertheless, he knew that he was probably being watched. CCTV. Computer monitoring. Person tracking. Possibly all of them. He didn’t care. The job was done, and he now just had to make sure that no-one found out who he was. An anonymous email address, Torpark to hide his IP address, and no way to find out his real address. The Internet really had its advantages.
The man crossed through the office, pressed the call button and waited for the lift. The doors opened smoothly, he got in, hit the button and the lift quickly rose up the building. The doors opened to reveal a gently lit, bare corridor with a plain wooden door at the end.
He took a deep breath before knocking and entering.
“It’s done, Sir,” he said. “The disinformation programme has reached phase 4.”
The man in the drab suit behind the desk simply smiled and gestured at the man to sit down.
“Good, now let’s talk about how you’re going to play this one…”

All he could think about was what would happen to him if those conspiracy nuts ever found out who was. But, it was just a job. Surely?

[edit on 12-7-2007 by more_serotonin_pls]

edited fot tense consistency

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Bravo!!!

Sorry, moderators, I just felt like posting something! My words of admiration for an author erupted uncontrollably! Emotional essence of mine just found a dire mighty beautiful cause to be released. You might delete this under the premise of selfishness..Won't blame you a bit.
..but I'm relieved now...you can shoot!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thank you very much. I really appreciate that response. I'm glad you liked it.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Great, story i especially liked this part "The excitement of releasing this information had started to fade somewhat and was starting to turn into fear. What if they caught him? He imagined the fall out from this."

I, think a lot of people feel like that before they click post.

Thanks

N.B.A.Y.S.O.H

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Whew! I felt real tension reading that. What happens next?

new topics

top topics

join