It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

becomeing a mod

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 05:07 AM
link   
to all mods, how do you become a mod? and can i be considerd to be upgraded to mod status.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 05:26 AM
link   
You can't ask to be a mod ! You have to be born mod !

They have a special program, for non-born mod peoples. You'll have to dance and sing naked under the rain for 2 days along. After, you'll have to drink blood under a full moon and catch a crocodile with just your hands.

When you'll have finished, they'll put your name on their waiting list, and after 10 years, you'll be nominated a mod trainee.

Good luck !!!

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:06 AM
link   
UP-

You forgot the electric shock ceremony.

(In reality, so that our kind user GhostMan gets an honest answer, our current moderators have been in our community for more than one year. When the need arises for a new mod either through growth or a mod leaving, we may consider a new one from the community's long-time active members. Currently, there is no need for any new moderators. Thanks for asking.)

Wise-cracking comments may continue now.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Ok I'm on the waiting list

BTW did I miss something? Wheres Simon I didnt see him 4 a long time

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Being able to wise-crack is highly desirable to be a mod, but is a prerequisite that is non-waiverable for admin status.

This site is an equal opportunity employer that disregards race, color, national origin, sexual preference, species preference, political viewpoints or mental disabilities.

Applications are kept on file for one year, please ensure that your information is current. We accept applications only through the state employment offices.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Dear Ghostman, William has -as ever -cut a straight and true path through the tangled thorns and matted briars: this is, in fact, it.
( My esteemed fellow-poster, Ultra-Phoenix, was obviously - temporarily and inadvertently -confusing ATS with the initiation rites of the Anderlecht Junior Supporters Club -an easy mistake to make in the circumstances)
Of course, the essence of Mods is balance and harmony so mods are chosen differently. It is, for example, well-known among Board-veterans that Simon subjected Estragon to so relentless and intemperate a deluge of physical blandishments, flattery and naked bribery that ultimately compassion got the better of me and I agreed to join.
On the other hand, numerous Mods -almost as distinguished - have been enlisted through such exoteric stratagems as posting "Help wanted" signs in local bars and re-hab centres.
Balance, diversity, and a deep love of one's fellow-man, are the keys.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Don't listen to them Ghostman.U-P was nearer the truth.I think he missed out something about 7 virgins on the Summer Solstice though.

Unless you have a third nipple then you become Admin.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Its not a third nipple, its a birthmark.... and its on my arm!

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 02:51 PM
link   
just wondering why the moderator regs is still a mod he was last active 4 months ago???

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:42 PM
link   
She still lives, just hasn't been able to post for a while. She's either in Navy bott camp or being mutilated and tortured by aliens.

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 08:52 PM
link   
These would, of course, be mutually exclusive alternatives, Thomas?

posted on Nov, 30 2002 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm not sure. I was pretty sure my drill sergeant was not of this world, and he tore us up pretty badly. At least there was no intrusive probing. Of course, with today's new military, who knows?

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is the last step to becoming a Mod (I happen to *be* a Mod at "another website") & old Army Airborne should remember this part of the initiation:

"Blood Upon The Risers", sung to the tune of "Battle Hymn of the Republic".

"Is everybody happy?", cried the sergeant, looking up.
Our hero feebly answered, "Yes" and then they stood him up.
He leaped right out into the blast, his static line unhooked.
He ain't gonna jump no more.

Chorus:
Gory, gory, what a helluva way to die.

He counted long, he counted loud, he waited for the shock.
He felt the wind, he felt the clouds, he felt the awful drop.
He jerked the cord, the silk spilled out & wrapped around his legs.

Chorus

The risers wrapped around his neck, connectors cracked his dome.
The lines were snarled & tied in knots around his scrawny bones.
The canopy became his shroud, he hurtled to the ground.

Chorus

The days he lived & laughed kept running through his mind.
He thought about his girl back home, the one he left behind.
He thought about the medics & he wondered what they'd find.

Chorus

The ambulance was on the spot, the jeeps were running wild.
The medics jumped up & screamed with glee, rolled up their sleeves & smiled.
For it had been a week or two since anyone has died.

Chorus

He hit the ground, the sound was "splat!", his blood went spurting high.
His comrades then were heard to say, "A helluva way to die".
He lay there rolling 'round in the welter of his gore.

Chorus

There was blood upon the risers, there were brains upon the chute.
Intestines were a danglin' from his paratrooper's boots.
They picked him up still in his chute & poured him from his boots.

Chorus

[Edited on 1-12-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 08:44 PM
link   
oh ya band of brothers when they sang that btw that was a great series

posted on Dec, 1 2002 @ 11:48 PM
link   
...I just sorta got drunk one night, crashed out on the sofa and never left...so they made me Mod, seemed easier than trying to kick my butt out the door...

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Serious Question: so what do you think you'll get out of being a moderator?

I ask, because I'm a moderator/wizard on an Internet Muck/Mud system with 300-600 people online at any given hour. To be a good moderator requires several things:

1) you have to have a pretty long temper.
2) you have to know when you're too involved with a situation -- when it has to be handed off to another moderator.
3) you lose a lot of your social life. Your friends have to understand that you are needed to do the moderating job and sometimes when you're handling a difficult issue you can't be available for chat.
4) you have to be thick-skinned. If someone cusses you out for your actions (this has happened) you have to be able to respond calmly and politely -- NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY TO YOU OR ABOUT YOU.
5) you have to be a bit of a geek. The board/muck/mud does odd stuff and people will expect you to do some simple patches. You should know basic WHOIS/IP stuff and ping and tracing.
6) you have to be a good mediator and know how to stop fights before they begin. If you ban someone, you have to have a VERY good reason to do so... and it should only be after warnings and perhaps a short suspension period. You should be able to communicate clearly so there is NO chance of the person misunderstanding you. This (occasionally) means going to the effort to try and translate your words into another language.
7) you have to be careful about your personal statements on the board and to NOT get into brawls.
8) there's no pay. You're expected to put in an appearance daily and to do your work. If there's an emergency, you're expected to let your fellow mods know so they can take over your area while you're away.
9) you have to be a good listener. In my 10 years doing this, I've been a suicide counselor more often than I've cared to be. I've had to help people deal with grief from the deaths of friends, with depression, with loneliness. Occasionally I've been minister for online funeral services (someone died and their friends couldn't attend the funeral.) This is emotionally tough on the moderator. I've had to call the police when we had good cause to believe someone was overdosing. I've also exposed frauds (people pretending to die to get sympathy/people pretending to be stalked to get sympathy.)

And beyond that, it's mostly janitorial (cleaning up messages, etc, etc.) There's little status and not a lot of glory. It's just work... but it's necessary work, and someone has to do it. The hardest part is making sure that what you're doing is just AND fair.

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Also there is very strong second tier of members on ATS who are not intimidated by Mods and Admin and who are quite capable of arguing their case strongly.

I've just looked down and seen 17 members online and i've read contributions from all of them.

Anyway,What day are we having our Christmas party?

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 08:14 PM
link   
hope its not that drunkin brawl like last year

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
Anyway,What day are we having our Christmas party?

What Christmas Party? I was not informed of this. Hmmm well quicky i might not want ot go it would only worsen things.

posted on Dec, 2 2002 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well stay close, I'm a happy drunk and I'll look out for you!
Any Pagan high holy days to label the party...probably more in line with the crowd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join