It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sensitive military files readily available online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Sensitive military files readily available online

www.msnbc.msn.com

GREENSBORO, N.C. - Detailed schematics of a military detainee holding facility in southern Iraq. Geographical surveys and aerial photographs of two military airfields outside Baghdad. Plans for a new fuel farm at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan.

The military calls it "need-to-know" information that would pose a direct threat to U.S. troops if it were to fall into the hands of terrorists. It's material so sensitive that officials refused to release the documents when asked.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This is an interesting and somewhat disturbing report.

Why not simply provide the terrorists and insurgents a map, with clearly marked targets, and arrows pointing out U.S. positions with the words in Arabic: We Are Here!

Secrecy seems to be a top priority for the Bush administration, how could such sensitive, and potentially dangerous information be so easily accessed?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
They obviously want someone to do something, to justify whatever it is they intend to do. If they truly wanted whatever information they hold dear to their hearts to be inaccessible, it would be. It's as simple as not even having it on the net. Build a giant man-sized vault like Cheney did, and store everything in there.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   

But it's already out there, posted carelessly to file servers by government agencies and contractors, accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
Source

Could this be carelessness, or intentionally posted information meant to fall into the wrong hands?

The U.S. government and military has very strict standards for the protection of sensitive and secret information, I'd really like to hear the official explanation for this carelessly posted sensitive information to file servers that could be accessed by anyone with an Internet connection.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It sounded to me like it was the contractors who were posting the information. If that is the case they should be held liable. If that information should be the cause of an attack then the contractor should be held liable to the fullest extent of the law.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me if the contrators were responsible. Remember the incident recently where the main contractor for the new embassy posted architectural info on the web?:shk:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
but it could also be deliberately 'leaked' stuff...
for whatever reasons, maybe the national security guys had to pay a debt
to a un-friendly government so they arranged these 'accidental web postings'...

Or it may run even deeper,
Like the Whitesands missile range data leaks & all that strategic & sensitive info on lap-tops getting into China's hands.
- - -along with all that launch and orbit insertion specifications & algorithims
that allowed China to successfully send satellites into orbit (when they couldn't before)

Everythings' on the table...there ain't no such thing as strategically sensitive secrets anymore...everything is negotiable or for sale or trade!

don't act so surprised & aghast, that US Intel would behave like that..
It's the 21st century don't you know

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
don't act so surprised & aghast, that US Intel would behave like that..
It's the 21st century don't you know

Right, but lives are on the line, in the information age we live in, the notion that sensitive information regarding military positions, sites in a war zone being accessible to anyone is totally inexcusable. There once was a time when those who were caught sharing such sensitive information were usually immediately shot!

I wonder what if anything will be done in this case, at a minimum you'd thing they'd take steps to assure that such things cannot happen again. But realistically that could have already been easily done, which leaves the question, did someone intentionally make this sensitive and potentially dangerous information readily available, and if so why?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

for whatever reasons

Now the "full strength" alQaida report and imminent threat to the US this smells of profit making by selected few who sit back and laugh everyday while counting the money made.

In my area the gas price dropped 20+ cents during the independence day week and now have risen to pre holiday prices.....

.....All I know is the previous generation would have never fallen for this blatant manipulation of the citizenry......

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Right, but lives are on the line, in the information age we live in, the notion that sensitive information regarding military positions,

I am surprised Gazz that you said that, since when our present government cares about the lives of others?

Remember our government is at war!!!!!!! And we the American people needs to sacrifice.

This information was leaked or perhaps not so leaked for one purpose, to show the American tax payer that our government has no intention to leave Iraq or the middle east and that the agenda for that region will be an on going one at any price and that means human lives also.

Anything that has to do with the war in Iraq should be open to the American people, after all we ended into that land and made the mess is right now with terrorist or not due to our own government agenda.

And is proven to be a very big agenda at that.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Could this be carelessness, or intentionally posted information meant to fall into the wrong hands?

Logically, one would think that.

Reminds me of the latest shootings in Adelaide after files pertaining to informants under witness protection were accidently left in a car and then stolen

Pathetic really isn't it?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
What if the information is wrong and is being used to set up a trap for the terrorists or something like that?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
What if the information is wrong and is being used to set up a trap for the terrorists or something like that?

That would certainly be one possibility. Without knowing the validity and accuracy of the information for sure, there is know way to know if it is designed as a trap, or an invitation to attack particular sites, or simply a stupid security slip.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

for whatever reasons, maybe the national security guys had to pay a debt
to a un-friendly government so they arranged these 'accidental web postings'...

Too complicated for what they want to accomplish, if we use your scenario.

Why risk someone else getting their hands on the info? Why risk the possible charge of treason?

No, imo it was just plain stupidity.

I wonder what if anything will be done in this case, at a minimum you'd thing they'd take steps to assure that such things cannot happen again. But realistically that could have already been easily done, which leaves the question, did someone intentionally make this sensitive and potentially dangerous information readily available, and if so why?

All I can think of is the fact that it was the fault of an inexperienced contractor. Can't think of another reason...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Wow, that's just super. Regardless of whose carelessness is responsible for such information being on the internet, the media has now made its availability that much more well known

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
not suprising,

i worked for a company a few years back that did the millwork for the US embassy in kabul, Afghanistan. Halliburton initially had the job but as is in all construction they contract all work to other trades, but we had 3 copies of the complete architectuals (basiacally blue prints) laying around our office. A number of people worked on it. No kind of "clearance" or "security" was ever established. We emailed the files back and forth. If Afghanistan is the home of al qaida then i would assume the layout of the US embassy there would be sensitive material. If they cared?

top topics

join