It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers find presence of water on distant extrasolar planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Another case of the scientific community playing it 'safe'

"The watery world, though, is far beyond the reach of our puny chemically-powered rockets -- and in any case is quite uninhabitable.

It is made of gas rather than rock and its atmosphere reaches temperatures hot enough to melt steel, which means the water exists only as superheated steam."

Im betting they could easily find one thats in the habitable zone..they're just too scared to really look and shake things up..

[edit on 11-7-2007 by wildone106]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
yeah saw this on space.com- good news although it was expected.

plenty chance of smaller planets like earth having water.

wildone, that planet is far far too massive to be anything like earth even if it was in the habitable zone. And they have found planets this size in the HZ

CoRoT is the only telescope capable of finding smaller planets in the HZ- by the end of the year we will have some. Then when kepler launches we will find even more although it takes a while (3 to 4 years)

[edit on 11-7-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I hope they are forthcoming about it, I dont feel like the space agency has been entirely honest about Mars, or interested enough to explore the amazing Titan..they're taking their time! I know they wanna stretch out the projects/funding as much as possible but we need these discoveries to capture the interest of people again..

Originally posted by yeti101
yeah saw this on space.com- good news although it was expected.

plenty chance of smaller planets like earth having water.

wildone, that planet is far far too massive to be anything like earth even if it was in the habitable zone. And they have found planets this size in the HZ

CoRoT is the only telescope capable of finding smaller planets in the HZ- by the end of the year we will have some.

[edit on 11-7-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I just read this to and think its RUBBISH they can't even decide if there is water on Mars let alone on a distant planet.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
kode, Mars atmosphere contains traces of water vapour. Thats confirmed- exactly the same as the planet in the article.

The icecaps contain alot of WATER ice. So there is confirmed FROZEN water on mars. We havnt found direct proof of permanent liquid water yet currently on mars.

Wildeone, i agree we need these discoveries. Nasas budget has been cut & cut- the exoplanet missions suffred alot (TPF,Kepler)

[edit on 13-7-2007 by yeti101]

top topics

join