It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Promiscuous Race?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I've read quite a few threads on here about population control - some good, others not quite so good in content and context.

With the problem of over population being a bit of a hot topic (in some news shows) at the moment, I'd like to ask members which race is the most promiscuous?

I'm not inviting replies from fascists who will want to use this to further their own political agenda, I am looking for enlightened views about promiscuity and the reasons for this.

For example, the chinese might be promiscuous, but because of the family planning laws, usually have only one child.

I also think promiscuity could be considered a cultural thing - again an example, in poorer parts of the world it is considered desirable to have a lot of children due to high infant mortality rates - but this does not necessarily indicate a promiscuous culture, merely one that is giving itself the best chance of survival.

So, the most promiscuous race - not necessarily the ones who have most children - more the ones who practice most with multiple partners.

I realise that this may be hard to quantify, but if the thread progresses, I'm sure we'll get to see some figures.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Most promiscuous race?

Human of course...

Obvious Monkeys, not just for being captain anymore...

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
How could that possibly be figured? And more importantly, why?

That's like asking which race is the hungriest or which race is cleanest. You simply cannot categorize people by their race.

And I think it's rabbits...

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
OK first of all, I have a problem with the word promiscuous as IMO, it seems like a judgmental word to use. It is always applied to women, and never men. When was the last time you heard a guy being called "promiscous"? Which means it's used as a derogatory word for women. Don't women have the right to sleep with whoever they want to, just like men have had for so long?

But it's also judgmental no matter how it's used. When does "loving they neighbor" cross the line and become promiscous? How many people does one have to have sex with in order to be promiscous? 2, 5, 500? Ya see what I mean?

And I dont think any one race or ethnicity is more "promiscous" than others.

There are, however, many people in the U.S. that could stand a little loosening up, though, I think
We need to reexamine our Purtian background a little and make some changes, IMO.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I fully agree with your point - promiscuity is seen as something to be proud of with a lot of males, then the reverse is applied to females.

I think that if you are about double the average number of partners, then it could be regarded as promiscuous behaviour - although this is not necessarily my point of view.

I'm pretty sure that some races are more promiscuous - but I believe that this is dependant on opportunity/culture/motives.

Not sure how things are in different countries, but the UK has one of the highest teenage pregnancy levels in the europe, if not the highest.
Does this make UK people promiscuous? Yes, in some circumstances, no in others - like you guys say, difficult to quantify.

Teenage and unmarried pregnancies can be indicative of a promiscuous society - although I have to say that I'm not a big believer in marriage, and I'm not sure how having a child outside of marriage would make you promiscuous.

Living in a nanny state, where kids are taught that they can do no wrong has a lot to do with the teenage/underage pregnancy rate in the UK, but that is a cultural rather than racial issue.

I guess what I'm really looking for is opinions - the ones so far have been great

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The promiscuity of a 'race' is dependant more on society/culture than ethnicity/genetics.
The statement that one 'race' is more 'promiscuous' than the next is fallacious: If persons of Middle Eastern descent from, say Iran, were considerably promiscuous, does this mean that the Iraqi population will be roughly equal in promiscuity?
At the end of the day it is the society in question that determines the promiscuity of inhabitants:
Say you've got two groups of 'white' people on two different islands that have roughly the same resources, climate etc. One society, due to growing overpopulation concerns, condemns promiscuity while the other, with less people, condones promiscuity. According to your theory both groups, as they are part of the same 'race', should be roughly equal in promiscuity.
And before we start the whole 'Religion stops promiscuity etc' drivel, as certain events in the Middle East attest, people will ALWAYS find a way around religion to satisfy certain animal instincts...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well as a white male I`d be promiscuous but I`ve been married for almost 20 years so I`ve forgotten how and don`t have the energy, with all the pressure society puts on me to contribute to society and my family.

Sorry, I just don`t see this as a race issue. It`s a matter of personal preference. You could point out a Wilt Chamberlain but I could counter with a Ron Jeremy. Not a `race`issue imo.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Without data, I don't see how this discussion can progress.

Some data must be out there, but if it is, it is not readily available on the net.

Without some facts, the best anyone can do is offer opinion, which in this case is really less than worthless.

That's just an opinion, of course.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I agree that promiscuity has nothing to do with race, a little to do with culture and a whole hell of allot to do with the individual. You have prudes and sluts in every society. Race has nothing to do with it.

Just my thoughts on it,

wupy

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well, I agree that race plays no real role here. I think that a better defining might be that groups where the men are significantly taller than the women would yield a better grasp of the problem.

Because tall men would tend to "look down" on the women, then their would be that greater inclination for certain liberties to be taken. And conversely, these women would "look up' to these men, and be more easily persuaded to act outside of the bounds of marriage.

(gently remove tongue from cheek area)

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Depends on the definition of promiscuity. Being relatively without income, I always wonder why poor people procreate. India especially.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I have to agree with the majority here, it is not possible to class one race of people as more promiscuous than another. There is really no set measurement to even attempt to do so. And, I don't want to be rude but, I find it offensive to even pose such a question. Anyone who knowingly attempts to classify people by something as arbitrary as color/ethnicity is just adding to the probelm of racism. Until we can stop categorizing people by their race we sill have hatred and bigotry.

Just the opinion of a white woman who can't know what it really is like to be discriminated against.

And to be clear, I'm NOT saying you're a racist by any means, I just took offense to this particular question, even though I'm sure you had the best of intentions.

And to clarify one more thing, having a child outside of marriage is not a sign of promiscuity. I have never been married, am considered a "prude" by my friends, and have a two year old daughter.

Circumstances and free will lead people to different choices, and it has nothing to do with race.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
As mentioned, we don't have data, but we do have definitions:

adjective 1. characterized by or involving indiscriminate mingling or association, esp. having sexual relations with a number of partners on a casual basis.

adj.
Having casual sexual relations frequently with different partners; indiscriminate in the choice of sexual partners.

dictionary.reference.com...

So, using one of those definitions, let me say the following:

Originally posted by jaxxm
And to clarify one more thing, having a child outside of marriage is not a sign of promiscuity. I have never been married, am considered a "prude" by my friends, and have a two year old daughter.

I don't know if I'd agree with such an all-encompassing statement like that.

In your case, I would not consider you promiscuous. But an unmarried woman with 4 or 5 children of different fathers, I would consider promiscuous.

Then again, a sterile woman who has a different sex partner every week would classify as promiscuous to me also.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
OK, time to come clean here.

A friend of mine recently read one of those cosmo surveys about different sexual habits in different countries, and raised this in conversation.

She was of the opinion that 3rd world countries tend to be more promiscuous, whilst I agreed with the majority here - it's hard, if not impossible to quantify.

I posted this as a way of finding out if others shared my opinion - and to show to her that it's pretty much impossible to make generalizations about a race, rather than individuals - because if anyone was ever going to find stats on this, it would be here!

Opinions are still very welcome - the more the better, so I can really convince her!

For the record, she's of carribean/irish descent.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Well, aren't you really looking for promiscuity as a factor of nationality rather than race?

Btw, your friend's ancestry is irrelevant, no?

[edit on 13-7-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, aren't you really looking for promiscuity as a factor of nationality rather than race?

Btw, your friend's ancestry is irrelevant, no?

[edit on 13-7-2007 by jsobecky]

Not entirely sure - some of her opinions are about afro-carribean people being the most promiscuous - my point to her was that it's dependant on a lot more factors than just race.
The survey she looked at said that people in developed countries are more likely to be promiscuous - which kind of refutes what she said - but she was adamant in her opinion.

As this is one of the best places online to question things like that, I did the thread, in the hope that people would be of the same opinion as myself, hence some of the qualifying statements in the OP.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Promiscuity and child-bearing are two entirely different issues. I think the definitions I supplied are ones we can work with.

Culture certainly has a lot to do with promiscuity. Take the San Francisco Bay area, with it's high incidence of homosexuality. Before the AIDs epidemic, many were promiscuous.

High numbers of children is generally a societal factor. As has been mentioned, more children equals more hands to help till the fields, etc. The number of sexual partners is still low, so that isn't promiscuity, imo.

First world countries have more access to birth control. They are generally better educated. Their metropolitan areas and their mobility provide greater access to a large number of partners. They can prevent or cover-up any "mishaps", so they could be more promiscuous as a result.

The flip side is also true. Inner cities with large minority populations oftem have a high incidence of unmarried mothers with multiple children and partners.

This is all my opinion, of course.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
And you make some good points, particularly about homosexuality and societal factors.

I think we can take it as read that homosexuals are the most promiscuous social group. I've had many gay friends, and the one thing they all had in common was multiple partners - as one friend put it "I might be gay, but I'm still a bloke, so I'll get laid as often as I can"
Not my philosophy, but each to their own.

I think the idea that afro-caribbean people are more promiscuous comes from the fact that many live in inner city, deprived area's - it's painted a bit of a false picture.
Many asian (indian, pakistani in the UK) people also live in inner cities, and yet there is not the same urban mythology regarding promiscuity.

So I think a lot of thinking about this is flawed, because people look at stereotypes rather than actuality.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think your friend has read, or heard, too many urban myths budski. The OP was a demotic statement disguised as a question. The statement is treated as a truth unless it is refuted by a response. So the OP was syntactically and semantically incorrect.

Race has nothing to do with the issue, culture and opportunity are probably more relevant. Remember that in a multicultural society, most people do conform to local cultures, 'imbibed' from the education system and from prolonged contact with the indigenous culture.

In LEDC's, large families are attributed to high infant mortality rates and the need to supply manpower for agrarian societies. They are not from a cultural need to have relationships with multiple partners, which I would presume is the promiscuity mentioned in the OP.

You sound a bit frustrated mate. Time to get your Spiderman suit and the whip out for the wife!

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think your friend has read, or heard, too many urban myths budski. The OP was a demotic statement disguised as a question. The statement is treated as a truth unless it is refuted by a response. So the OP was syntactically and semantically incorrect.

Race has nothing to do with the issue, culture and opportunity are probably more relevant. Remember that in a multicultural society, most people do conform to local cultures, 'imbibed' from the education system and from prolonged contact with the indigenous culture.

In LEDC's, large families are attributed to high infant mortality rates and the need to supply manpower for agrarian societies. They are not from a cultural need to have relationships with multiple partners, which I would presume is the promiscuity mentioned in the OP.

You sound a bit frustrated mate. Time to get your Spiderman suit and the whip out for the wife!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join