It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We were all created equally?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
first off, i'd like to state it's ludicrous to think that all people are equal. we aren't all einsteins, we don't all have the potential to be a mozart, and not everyone is blessed with the body of a professional athlete. sure, we all deserve to be treated well because we're all equal to an extent... the extent that we can all equally suffer, we can all equally feel joy, and we all equally die... but we aren't all equally valuable.

but anyway, i've heard that the bible states that all people are equal... i did some flipping through the book, did some searching... and i can't find it.

would this come from the belief that we are all created by god and are therefore all equal?

i'm just kind of lost on this issue of theology.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Jefferson wrote that all men are created equal in the Declaration of Independence and Martin Luther King used that quote in the 60's and it has been wrongly attributed to being taken from the bible.

however, there is this:
www.lavistachurchofchrist.org...

which might help point out that the bible does imply it to some degree.

note, all men are created equal, not all people. so, second class citizens (women) take note. we won't stand for this equality b.s. anymore.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

note, all men are created equal, not all people. so, second class citizens (women) take note. we won't stand for this equality b.s. anymore.

Why I oughta ...

Sad to note, that some people even in this country in this day and age actually feel that way.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
t'was a joke.

I felt the mood needed lightening, especially when talking about our chauvenist forefathers.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I know it was a joke, I hope I didn't come across as angry. I was joking too. Should have used my giggly smiley, I suppose.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What you're looking for is probably 1 Corinthians 12. Read the whole thing, but pay special attention starting at verse 21

21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"
22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,
23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty,

Paul goes on to talk about different gifts in the church and how everyone has their own special place but you can point to this as an indication that we're not all equal, but we're all equally important.

..except for women.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I know it was a joke, I hope I didn't come across as angry. I was joking too. Should have used my giggly smiley, I suppose

I apologize for not seeing that you were joking as well. I guess my "male" brain was too busy thinking about a number of things far too complex for your female "brain" to comprehend and, thus, your joking manner was not picked up. For the record, I put the quotes around "brain" for a reason. The men will understand.

p.s. those smilies are useless indicators of anything to men. they are cutesy and girlish and their meaning is lost on us. the only way an image can be use to portray a feeling in your posts would be if that image was of a woman in some form of undress who was laughing, crying, angry or scared. It should be noted that all of those images would produce the same thought process in our larger, male brains. the translation, for the women reading along would be, roughly, "huba huba she wants me"

[edit on 11-7-2007 by Crakeur]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
If the whole world believed in the same God, and sought Him, He would divide His love and grace equally amongst us all, and He would manifest Himself.

We all have equal inheritance of God's Kingdom, some just refuse to accept their inheritance.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stompk
If the whole world believed in the same God, and sought Him, He would divide His love and grace equally amongst us all, and He would manifest Himself.

so, for god to show himself and give us evidence we have to accept it before the fact? seems kind of convenient for your belief system...

We all have equal inheritance of God's Kingdom, some just refuse to accept their inheritance.

this isn't a preaching corner, i just asked a simple theological question. i wanted to find some insight into why some people believe christianity supports equality.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Madness, the bible never said that everyone was created equal. Everyone has an EQUAL opportunity to Heaven and in God's eyes everyone is equal.

[edit on 11-7-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
"For God-fearing people, death has no terror" - Ghandi

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

so, for god to show himself and give us evidence we have to accept it before the fact? seems kind of convenient for your belief system...

I don't think stompk said anything about "giving evidence". There is no "evidence" that would be accepted by those who don't want to believe. God "manifests" himself (itself? herself? themselves?
) in nature, the stars and even peoples actions.

this isn't a preaching corner, i just asked a simple theological question. i wanted to find some insight into why some people believe christianity supports equality.

I thought your original purpose was to show that all people are NOT equal. Something I strongly disagree with. If a person dedicates their life to music, they can very well become a Mozart, or if they dedicate themselves to science, they can become another Einstien. EVERYONE has the potential. It just depends what they do with it.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

I thought your original purpose was to show that all people are NOT equal. Something I strongly disagree with. If a person dedicates their life to music, they can very well become a Mozart, or if they dedicate themselves to science, they can become another Einstien.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by babloyi]

MMM, I don't know that there will ever be another Mozart or Einstein. While it's true that if a person devotes their entire life to a certain topic they become "experts" or "proficient" in their particular area of study, Mozart seemingly was born with his talent, and Einstein was an intellect that grasped archaic subjects fairly quickly, not everyone has the ability to be like either one of those guys.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
“Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.”
Albert Einstein

Source

[edit on 12-7-2007 by stompk]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
*babloyi shrugs*

I dunno...we can agree to disagree, I suppose, SpeakerOfTruth. I find it an insult to human ingenuity and intellect to set a limit like "Einstein" or "Mozart". We can be as great as we want to be, or as ignomious as we want to be.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

“Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish.”
Albert Einstein

Source

[edit on 12-7-2007 by stompk]

yeah, atheistic scientists tend to use god as a metaphor.

from einstein in a letter he wrote to an atheist.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

now speaker, i'll disagree on the point that we will NEVER have another einstein or mozart. we do have many brilliant scientists, and one day one could be born that rivals or even trumps einstein. we could have a composer that makes mozart look like a hack, you just never know. is it likely? well... only if you give it enough time.
there is only a certain level you can get to on hard work alone... eventually inherent talents become an issue.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
"cleave on little" - some homeless guy named Bill.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

but we aren't all equally valuable.

but anyway, i've heard that the bible states that all people are equal

i'm just kind of lost on this issue of theology.

The statement that we all aren't equally valuable is a risky one. This leads to the kind of solution that Hitler tried to carry out.

The Bible says we are all equally loved by God. He loves you just as much as He loves Moses.

God does not give everyone the same talents and abilities but ALL are given talents and abilities.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
The statement that we all aren't equally valuable is a risky one. This leads to the kind of solution that Hitler tried to carry out.

godwin'd before page 2!
slippery slope fallacy and hyperbole.

The Bible says we are all equally loved by God. He loves you just as much as He loves Moses.

he said loves ALL of us equally? where?
is that before or after the genocide he ordered against the middianites? did god love the middianites as much as he loved the jews?

God does not give everyone the same talents and abilities but ALL are given talents and abilities.

unless you're born with certain debilitating conditions

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

he said loves ALL of us equally? where?

unless you're born with certain debilitating conditions

John 3:16

If someone is born with a debilitating condition it could be in a wide range of severity.

First off, we live in a world that has rejected God and is subjected to sin and what it does.

Also some people's conditions give them an insight into things that others who aren't handicapped don't know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join