It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gigantic Architeuthis Specimen Found in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

CANBERRA (Reuters) - One of the largest giant squid ever found has washed up on a remote Australian beach, sparking a race against time by scientists to examine the rarely seen deep-ocean creature.

The squid, the mantle or main body of which measured two-meters (6.5 feet) long, was found by a walker late on Tuesday on Ocean Beach, near Strahan, on the western coast of island state Tasmania.

"It's a whopper," Tasmanian Museum senior curator Genefor Walker-Smith told local media on Wednesday. "The main mantle is about one meter across and its total length is about eight meters."

Reuters

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, this certainly seems like a big one. Posted in Science since this certainly isn't a cryptid anymore!

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I wonder if they identified it wrong and it is the Colossal squid not the giant.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
I wonder if they identified it wrong and it is the Colossal squid not the giant.

Not too sure, but I am sure that time will tell.
Oh well.. looks pretty impressive though.

-fm

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
its on NineMSN.com.au aswell but they claim it to be 8m long and missing sex organs.

how cool is it eh? the thing is massive, you could make a calamari ring the size of a car tyre although it would probably be just as chewy

i love it when stuff like this washes up, its hard core proof that theres creatures in the deepest depths of our ocean which we know almost nothing about

The 8m-long squid is currently being kept in an industrial-sized freezer while tissue tests are done to determine its age and sex.

Scientists found the squid with missing sex organs on Wednesday afternoon at Ocean Beach, near Strahan in Tasmania.

*SNIP*
Ms Walker-Smith said with the missing sex organs, it might be difficult to determine the sex of the squid.

''It could take a couple of weeks before we know how old it is. It's so rare for a giant squid to wash up on the beach, and we've had so few specimens to examine the relation between size and age.''

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
the only trouble with making caliamari is how do you get rid of the ammonia flavor

top topics

join