It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada Has the Most Pot Smokers in Industrialized World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Canada Has the Most Pot Smokers in Industrialized World

www.foxnews.com

Canada ranks fifth worldwide when it comes to marijuana usage, but ranks first among industrialized nations, according to the 2007 World Drug Report.

About 16.8 percent of Canadians ages 15 to 64 light up, compared to 12.6 percent of Americans in the same age bracket, according to the report. Canada’s usage is about four times the worldwide average of 3.8 percent, while the United States' usage is about three times the average.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This gives new meaning to the word "highest."

I must admit, it doesn't surprise me but the more important question is what impact does it actually have on Canada as a whole? Is there a social or economic factor that is the result of this use?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I'm with you MM, it's no big surprise here, here being Canada. Maybe it has a corrolation to this?

It really isn't a biggie here. Smoke, don't smoke, who cares? How does it affect this country? Not much. Those that use can contribute, or not. We're not going to miss them. Yes, I used to smoke but hell, I grew up. MONEY is a much more attractive addiction.

I'd be more worried about importation to the States than anything else. The Fed is anal about this, to the point of not listening to reason. Billions spent that can't be recouped and will do no good.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It doesn't say anything about the Netherlands... pot is available over the counter there, so I would think it'd be pretty "high."

Anyway, I think the U.S. has more port smokers than Canada, just maybe not as a "high" percentage.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Good point DJ...

Perhaps the Dutch were too impaired to properly report usage?

No matter... I think the real story here is NAFTA and how it may be a premeditated tool to facilitate such a "stellar" statistic.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Actually Netherlands has a similar smoking rate to the U.S., and fewer kids in the Netherlands smoke then in the U.S.

Fact: The Netherlands' drug policy is the most nonpunitive in Europe. For more than twenty years, Dutch citizens over age eighteen have been permitted to buy and use cannabis (marijuana and hashish) in government-regulated coffee shops. This policy has not resulted in dramatically escalating cannabis use. For most age groups, rates of marijuana use in the Netherlands are similar to those in the United States. However, for young adolescents, rates of marijuana use are lower in the Netherlands than in the United States. The Dutch people overwhelmingly approve of current cannabis policy which seeks to normalize rather than dramatize cannabis use. The Dutch government occasionally revises existing policy, but it remains committed to decriminalization.

www.drugpolicy.org...

Dosn't suprise me at all really... Maybe we should legalize it and use the money we spend on getting rid of it for harder drugs, rather then a drug less harmful then cigarettes...

-Reform America

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I remember an experiment back in the dayz where 2 sets of rats of given alcohol and water. One group was exposed to stress over a period of time. the control group was not. the stressed group drank the alcohol and avoided the water,while the control just drank the water. Its obvious the world has been under a lot of stress.If we legalized it here in the U.S it would probably empty out a lot of our jails and the cops could go after violent criminals. If you smoked and drove you would still get a ticket,or fired if you smoked and went to work. thats ok with me. I don't need a pilot or train operator doing that while working..or a surgeon.
There is so much money tied up going and coming across the border, I think thats why they don't fence it, one because it cuts the profit of a handful of drug gangs.in the mexican government as well as get cheap illegal labor. If nafta builds that corridor we are done for as the mexican trucks will run right thru. It makes you wonder who is getting high up there in washington to allow this. back to the topic..yeah I hope they legalize it and let our own farmers grow it. we can sell it cheap to Canada then

new topics

top topics

join