It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Find Farthest Known Galaxies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Astronomers Find Farthest Known Galaxies

news.yahoo.com

The galaxies are seen as they existed just 500 million years after the birth of the universe. Their light, traversing the cosmos for more than 13 billion years, was seen only because it was distorted in a natural "gravitational lens" created by the gravity-bending mass of a nearer cluster of galaxies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This kind of correlates to This thread regarding being able to see time before the big bang. Hey were getting closer. They can see what these galaxies looked like 13 billion years ago. I wonder what they look like now?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-7-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread isn't getting any hype. This is awesome.

AAC

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
How young does this make our own galaxy then ?

or could we be in the oldest part of the universe looking back towards the centre , how can we tell?

Forgive me for being naieve but there must be a point from where all the galaxies are moving from and at what sort of speed?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sorry guys i seem to have put the kiss of death on the thread, Would love to know more so am gunna go a searchin.

Well least u roused one person into action lol

git

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I just saw this related video to that article that was kinda fun to watch: www.space.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
klever, nice find

I think it is more than likely we have had several big bangs and there will probably be many more.

To think that creation has only been around for almost 14 billion years to me sounds pretty young.

If the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old...I mean we're infants on this planet, but how do we know even the age of the universe?

How old is the Earth?

This is the farthest visible from Earth. What if this is only 1% of the universe?

We can't travel to the edge and the universe is ever-expanding.

Thank you for posting the link klever.

But just how do we know for sure the universe is X years old? Do scientists know something they aren't letting on? Have they traveled back in time to the 'bing bang' as AAC calls it

[edit on 17-7-2007 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"Astronomers Find Farthest Known Galaxies " this title is a oxymoron for one how did they find them if they are already know and secondly how do they know they are the farthest since there will always be more out of sight until we get beter telescopes

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
That is a subject that Has always made me wonder, If we dont know how much mass there is in the universe. And we dont know for sure how the universe is curved. Then is it possible that there ways of measuring is way off.

Curvature of Space in Two Dimensions
The idea of a curved surface is not an unfamiliar one since we live on the surface of a sphere. More generally, mathematicians distinguish 3 qualitatively different classes of curvature, as illustrated in the following image (Source):

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

So they are assuming that it is one of these three types. But also saying that all of them in theory are infinite. Correct me if im wrong, are they basing these theories based on a ripple affect? so there are only three senarios of the curvature of space.I think they are assuming to much. What if its a wave affect .Example: Instead of everything starting from the middle and expanding outward, What if it starts we will say from point a on the left and goes still in a wave towards the right .And then you have to take into account that it may be positive and negative ripples strung together in a wave. But if they are assuming that the universe has zero curvature. It still may be wrong to assume that there is a middle point that started the affect. And then lets say that Point a and point b are back to back. Like a giant ball. And when the wave from point a catches up to point b, This would cause the ripples to be opposite. It would be easier for me to make a drawing and show it to you.

I will draw it and take a picture of it and load it on to the computer.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not all scientists believe in the big bang theory or that the universe is expanding but if your an astrophysicist you dare not oppose it if you want that grant.
They keep fudging the BBT with more and more quakery in a vein attempt to make it work. I mean think about it, all matter in the universe condensed in a single point!
Although the theory dominates I believe it's a good example of scientific dogma. One day people will look back and laugh or feel embarrassed for us.
Theories based on math based on false assumptions as well as trying to force a gravity based model of the universe that doesn't work hence the elusive dark matter.

An Open Letter to the Scientific Community

This letter has also been dubbed "An Open Letter to the Closed Minded".

[edit on 18-7-2007 by squiz]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think this is important evidence towards the assumption that there are races far older than us and much more advanced, considering that our sun is believed by almost all scientists to be a mere five billion years old.

new topics

top topics

join