It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology, Ask Me A Question And I'll Try To Answer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
In reviewing the thread I think I missed your questions, but I'll get them now.

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
can you drink, dig music and read any type of books if your a member?

Is it a good place to find money making jobs??

If you have an open mind is that ok?

Yes you can drink in moderation, but not before going to a course or to an auditing session.
There are no restriction on what type of music you listen to or what you read, and I don't see why there ever would be.

They won't find you a high paying job, but they will teach you things that will help you succeed in life so that you can find your own money making job.

And about having an open mind, it's encouraged, and I hope you would maintain an open mind and critical thinking throughout all parts of your life.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Oh wow, I just remembered something about this.

Years ago I was walking in Sydney with a friend of mine (a Satanist). I didn't care about his beliefs, really nice guy, anyway as we were walking I was approached by a Scientologist who asked me to do a test. My friend, just grabbed my arm and told the guy really sternly.. 'not interested'...

Now, I think that is really funny. Here is a Satanist telling me to be wary of Scientology... ah ha ha ha...

It all happened so quick but I reckon if he wasn't there, I may have gone along with it.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Why does the Church of Scientology call itself a church, a word that is predominantly associated with Christianity?

Why is the Church of Scientology's logo a crucifix or cross? Scientology has nothing to do with Christianity or Jesus Christ.

Are these tactics from the Church of Scientology to draw in Christian people and ease them into the transition by including familiar Christian themes? Seems like a conspiracy to me...

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I don't know why it's called a church, but you are right in the fact that "Church" is a predominantly Christian term.

As far as the cross is concerned, variations of this symbol have been around long before anyone ever heard of Jesus or Christianity. In fact, I believe Christianity adopted a pagan symbol for their own use.
The Scientology version of the cross has 8 points that stand for each of the dynamics of life.

I don't feel this is a conspiracy to specifically draw in Christians, Scientology welcomes people of any faith. Even Godless heathens are welcome to walk through their doors.

[edit on 11/7/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Homosexuality is not in line with the second dynamic.

Are they trying to suggest homosexuals cannot raise children or be a happy family 'unit'?

Basically, this cult demands that you will be able to procreate? Sterile men are forbidden?

I guess this makes business sense; the more offspring members produce, the more likely it is their member base (and thus profit) will grow in the future.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If I joined the 'Church' would I get free cinema tickets to see Tom Cruise films? (Although, I don't rate him as an actor and would probably sell the tickets on E-bay.)

Also why don't they like like being called a cult? Technically they are not a Church as they don't have international recognition. Also, how does my giving them money help cure my suppose depression that those machines claim to detect in everyone who has ever taken the test?

I'm happy for you that you got out and could be yourself. Finally ridding yourself of repression and denial must of made you more happy than their life 'techniques'.

Sorry if there are hints of sarcasm in my post. Its just my nature when it comes to things like Scientology. No doubt the Scientologists would try and break it out of me.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
To me it seem's scientology disects a person to find there weak points and faults and then it seem's that the church kind of of does a ambush kind of tactic to lure the weak minded( as seen in the chart below you can see how they lure with weak indivduals) to corses (auditing they call it) to correct their faults which in turn makes capitail gain for the church,
I even heard you are hooked up to a device know as the E meter which trained people reading the output while asking you some pretty twisted question so if your are asked for example you might be asked " Do you ever have thoughts about killing people" and their E meter can tell if your lying or not, that would be a very good way to entrapt a individual after knowing all there twisted secrets? Is this how it is ?

What part of your life do you want to handle?

Unhappiness, Stress, Anxiety, Depression
Trouble Thinking Clearly
Personal Well-being
Marriage
Children
Helping Others
Integrity, Honesty, Right and Wrong

Education and Learning
Communication
Job Productivity, Achieving Goals, Financial Success
Living in a Dangerous Environment
Drug and Alcohol Problems
Personalities, Emotions and How to Deal with Others

source

I also heard if you cannot afford the auditing they provide for you, you will be able to work for the organization to pay off your debt which in turn is entraptment in my eyes. Is this how it is?

Also it seems from what I have read on scientology and its levels is that once your deep into it, it is very hard to get out without having your life go amuck due to rich scientology and there blackmailing traits? Is that true?

It all seems shady to me I have been stopped on the street and asked to come in ana take alook at the cult but I know better and my mind doesn't need any reaassurance from anyone but myself.

[edit on 113131p://upWednesday by seridium]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerBeast

Are they trying to suggest homosexuals cannot raise children or be a happy family 'unit'?

Basically, this cult demands that you will be able to procreate? Sterile men are forbidden?

I guess this makes business sense; the more offspring members produce, the more likely it is their member base (and thus profit) will grow in the future.

I don't think that's the case at all, sterility won't stop you from being a member or taking courses. And I really don't think the Church is trying to breed an entire generation of new Scientologists.
They do have a stated goal of Clearing the entire planet, so they do want everyone to be in the Church.

Being homosexual doesn't mean you can't be a Scientologist, but they will try to help you overcome that issue so that you use the body you have as it is designed for.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I don't think that's the case at all, sterility won't stop you from being a member or taking courses. And I really don't think the Church is trying to breed an entire generation of new Scientologists.
They do have a stated goal of Clearing the entire planet, so they do want everyone to be in the Church.

Being homosexual doesn't mean you can't be a Scientologist, but they will try to help you overcome that issue so that you use the body you have as it is designed for.

I see. So this is why you left, you're perfectly happy being a homosexual?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Sorry folks if this gets long winded, but I want to answer each post if I can.

Originally posted by Chupa101
If I joined the 'Church' would I get free cinema tickets to see Tom Cruise films?

No, you don't get tickets, but who would really want them.
There are a lot more actors involved in the Church than Tom Cruise, and most of them have talent. They just don't allow Scientology to tarnish their public image.

Also why don't they like like being called a cult?

Let's define the word cult:

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.
www.tfd.com...

Cult has taken on a derogatory meaning in our society, but name one religion on the planet that doesn't fall into that definition somewhere.

Technically they are not a Church as they don't have international recognition. Also, how does my giving them money help cure my suppose depression that those machines claim to detect in everyone who has ever taken the test?

You don't need international recognition to be a Church, but Scientology is spread throughout the world. I've also never seen a machine claim anything, though people do interpret what an E-Meter indicates. Contrary to what you believe, it's the drug companies that want everyone to be diagnosed with depression so they can sell more SSRIs.

You could spend months or more in Scientology before you'd even be in an Auditing Session and be on an E-Meter, and very few people are found to be depressed.

I'm happy for you that you got out and could be yourself. Finally ridding yourself of repression and denial must of made you more happy than their life 'techniques'.

I'm glad you're happy, but I was never repressed, and I use what I learned in Scientology every day in my life. If there was a Church near where I live I'm sure I would continue my studies.

Sorry if there are hints of sarcasm in my post.

I can live with a hint of sarcasm, people tend to fear what they don't understand. It's a natural reaction....

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by seridium

I even heard you are hooked up to a device know as the E meter which trained people reading the output while asking you some pretty twisted question so if your are asked for example you might be asked " Do you ever have thoughts about killing people" and their E meter can tell if your lying or not, that would be a very good way to entrapt a individual after knowing all there twisted secrets? Is this how it is ?

An Auditor can certainly tell when you lie when your holding the cans on an E-Meter, but I think the best way to describe Auditing is like a Catholic Confessional, but you can't lie to the Priest. The Auditor is there to help you, and guide you through things that happened in your past that are effecting you in your life today.

Nothing in my PC folder was ever used against me, and I don't know of any Auditor that ever disclosed something that was said in a session. They operate under very strict rules and are under constant review.

Do you have any twisted secrets you want to share seridium.

I also heard if you cannot afford the auditing they provide for you, you will be able to work for the organization to pay off your debt which in turn is entraptment in my eyes. Is this how it is?

Many people co-audit through some levels at no cost at all, and being a part-time staff member will also get you free courses and auditing.
Being in the Sea Org. you are required to continue your training, but at no cost. If I can find a copy of the Sea Org. contract I'll post it. It's kinda strange, and covers a billion years.

Also it seems from what I have read on scientology and its levels is that once your deep into it, it is very hard to get out without having your life go amuck due to rich scientology and there blackmailing traits? Is that true?

I've never been blackmailed, and I don't know anyone personally that ever has. I can't say it's never happened, but it's not something I ever experienced.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I see. So this is why you left, you're perfectly happy being a homosexual?

There was more involved than just my sexuality when I left the Church.
Part of it had to do with being an illegal in the States, I had a personal conflict going on with a superior, after returning to Canada there wasn't a nearby Church, etc...

But yes, I have a wonderful husband that I've been with for over 18 years and I'm very happy being homosexual. It was a point of conflict between me and the Church though.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Let's define the word cult:

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.
www.tfd.com...

Well by definition then Scientology is a cult. - Just like the Abrahamic religions I should add. The problem is that Scientologist's react violently to anyone who questions their 'faith'. - There is plenty of video evidence to support this. They prey on people who are insecure, vulnerable, and easily influenced, taking money off them in return for offering them a feeling of 'security'.

What would you say about the character assassinations that Scientology use to try and discredit their critics? We all know it happens, many people who have tried to investigate Scientology and its higher echelons have had their families threatened, been verbally abused, followed, harassed and slandered. For a modern peaceful 'Church' they execute some pretty nasty tactics of intimidation and brain-washing.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chupa101

Well by definition then Scientology is a cult. - Just like the Abrahamic religions I should add. The problem is that Scientologist's react violently to anyone who questions their 'faith'. - There is plenty of video evidence to support this. They prey on people who are insecure, vulnerable, and easily influenced, taking money off them in return for offering them a feeling of 'security'.

Over half the population of the this planet includes themselves in the Abrahamic religions, but Scientology would not be one of them.
Per the definition of a cult though, all religions could be considered as such.

I believe in the precepts of Scientology, but I promise that I won't act violently towards you if you question my faith. I'm actually a pretty mellow guy, and I won't try to convert anyone that reads this thread.

If you have some video links to back up that statement I'd like to see them, but yes, Scientology will defend itself with great tenacity.

What would you say about the character assassinations that Scientology use to try and discredit their critics? We all know it happens, many people who have tried to investigate Scientology and its higher echelons have had their families threatened, been verbally abused, followed, harassed and slandered.

I have an issue with the statement that "we all know it happens".
Some people may know that, and some people may think that, but all people don't know that. You've made a general statement that can't possibly include everyone.

I know there are cases of zealots that have gone too far, but I would need to take it on a case by case basis to have any valid opinion on any one incident.

For a modern peaceful 'Church' they execute some pretty nasty tactics of intimidation and brain-washing.

I will gladly offer any insight I can on nasty tactics they use if you specify something particular.
I think many people confuse education with brain-washing, and using that term would have to include any Church, the military, schools, colleges, and universities.

Anything that expands your knowledge or changes the way you think could be considered brain-washing, but if you can't expand your horizons you shrivel up and die.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
anxietydisorder, do you agree or disagree that the main purpose and goal of the Church of Scientology is to make money for the ones at the top?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I disagree.

They make money to expand the organization and reach more people.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I disagree.

In order to again make more money and obtain power.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

As far as the cross is concerned, variations of this symbol have been around long before anyone ever heard of Jesus or Christianity. In fact, I believe Christianity adopted a pagan symbol for their own use.
The Scientology version of the cross has 8 points that stand for each of the dynamics of life.

What pagan symbol would that be. And I realize that the crucifixions have been around long before Jesus, but it has never been used as a religious symbol.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I live in clearwater.. So thats right by the homebase of those guys..
Did you ever visit the clearwater offices?

If anyone would like to see some pictures of these people and the places I would be happy to post them..
Honestly those people creep me the hell out..
They dont like to talk to other people, and if you go and take pics of their buildings, they sertinly dont like..
They asked me to leave the area when I was taking photos..
and I get asked tons of questions of why I am there, and who I am working for..
I just say doing it for my own research... And I work for myself..
They are a werid lot...

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I disagree.

In order to again make more money and obtain power.

Yes, of course that's true.
Every religion, corporation, and organization, or even a family needs money to survive and expand.
There's not much in this world that comes free, so I don't think you can put down Scientology for making money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join