It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we ever recover from this war?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I'm really interested in hearing everyones opinion.I feel if we pull out before there is peace then they will surely follow us home,because there really are terrorists and they really do want to kill us..

That being said i don't think the endless blood shed and heart ache will ever end..so what gives?

I don't know,i just think this is the worst mistake ever made by America and it will haunt us for many years to come.

If we woulda done what was right and just went to Afghanistan everything would be fine,but instead we have to go to a country with no connection to 911 and destroy our image,integrity,and our honor..

God bless America,eff this goverment.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
It has only just begun my friend. It wont be long until we are in Iran and Syria, and a draft may be inevitable.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vipassana
It has only just begun my friend. It wont be long until we are in Iran and Syria, and a draft may be inevitable.

ya man you have the exact mind set i have,we must also consider if we will continue to puch this missile defense and what russia does,not to mention very strong ties between Russia and Iran,and China and Iran..

Times are tense and i think most poeple feel it,i hope some unexpected miracle takes place to settle this all down.

Not to mention about ever major country in the world has been heavely upgraded their military for about 5 years now and they still continue,even the U.S is upgrading while at war..

BTW i first read that qoute you have a couple of years ago,it gave me chills.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
No one can really tell,
I mean the internal scars from curroption run so deep, an entire alteration of the ways of government is in order.. do that you effectivley change the basis of the USA.
secondly, the US recovered from Vietnam, but Iraq is a whole kettle of fish, and a kettle 10x as big.
Iraq is awash with weapons, terrorists and borders countries openly hostile to the US, where as vietnam didnt.

While I think it is very difficult for Iraqi's to get into the US, and succeed in strikes.. I dont think its out of reach, especially against the UK and other western sympathisers.

Will the US recover? not for a few decades, and not until they've hit rock bottom.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Project_Silo
If we woulda done what was right and just went to Afghanistan everything would be fine,but instead we have to go to a country with no connection to 911 and destroy our image,integrity,and our honor..

I agree that Iraq is a royal mess but I don't agree that "everything would be fine" if we (the US) had only gone to Afghanistan. Unfortunately, everything has NOT been fine for almost 30 years. We are not just reaping the problems generated from attacking Iraq - we are facing a great and terrible enemy that has only recently stepped out of the shadows.

I also think it is way too easy to blame President Bush for all of the troubles in the world. I have to chuckle to myself when I hear people counting down the days until January 20, 2009 like the whole world will change for the better on that day. That's so far beyond wishful thinking that it is delusional. It is very likely we will have a Democrat President at that time - OK - is the world going to be any different? Nope.

Just as Tony Blair's successor was greeted with attempted terror attacks on his first or second day in office, the next US President will probably get the same. When Bush and Cheney are retired to their respective ranches in Texas and Wyoming are the terrorists going to suddenly want to negotiate peace with the US? Nope. I am convinced that a really major war will flare up in the next 3 to 12 months. Even if we manage to "skate by" for another 2 or 3 years the result will be the same - a really major war with really major casualties.

So to get back to the main question, "Will the US recover from the Iraq War?" The answer is YES - OF COURSE! It will take a long time and be very painful - and it won't be in January of 2009 or 2013 but maybe in 2017 if we are lucky.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Ya man i pretty much agree,and i very much know all this doesnt rest with bush,there are bad guys out there no matter what some want to say,but without being in this war with no ending and just going to afghanistan we would have much less problems,ill put it that way..

nice responses guys i love poeple who know whats going on!

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Recovering is not possible with same leadership. War not only robbed Americans of 800 billion dollars, killed 700.000 Iraqis and Afghanis but also caused whole world to hate USA, some people even migrate out of USA, think about that. Mexicans in, Americans out. And companies like it, since they like cheap labor. USA is headed for civil war in near future.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
sb2012,

I completely agree with everything you said,except i feel even with a new president we cannto stop the terror from following us here(assuming the new president will pull out wich he most likely would)

Wether you believe this war created terrorists they are surely out there,the next president better at least fix the border if a pull out is in the plans.

In the immediate time I'm sitting back waiting for the new spectacular terrorist attack here in the U.S according to a goverment document. Something scary is all the chatter of terrorists being able to get a nuclear device.

So lets sit back,kick up the feet,and wait for the goverment oops i mean terrorist to set off a dirty bomb some where..Woot then its time for Bush to be dictator yeee haaaaa..

Good times,good times

One must respect the fact that were expecting a new attack because this goverment is almost readable.Just like Iran,if i was a betting man id put money down on a war with Iran.

Anyway heres link for terror spectacular.abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 10-7-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The best outcome America can hope for is that the misadventure in Iraq will result in psychological scars akin to Vietnam, which will make future US Governments and their foreign policy more cautious and mature.

The worst outcome?

Dark times.

[edit on 10-7-2007 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by itguysrule

When Bush and Cheney are retired to their respective ranches in Texas and Wyoming are the terrorists going to suddenly want to negotiate peace with the US?

When a new administration takes office ....things can change radically...& over night !

i hold out the Iran Hostage release after 444 days, as a historical example.

Will the national conscious recover from the Iraq experience?
We sorta filed away the decade of No-Fly-Zone we imposed on Iraq,
we sorta forgot about all the efforts to impose sanctions, UN inspectors, etc

we presently put the forever wounded, scared, disabled soldiers on the back-burner of the national interest & agenda...the war machine has
fresh bodies to continually rotate into the horror...

?will we recover?...can't say, but remember...'Out of sight, out of mind'
has the outward appearance of things being back to normal

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As soon as you went into iraq, you opened pandoras box. It cannot be closed now and your country just has to live with the consequences. You will have to attack iran, for there to ever be peace. But never think that whatever you do its going to be quick, this thing should be going on for decades, there is to much at stake.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
We never went to war with the former USSR. They were, in fact, our allies during WWII. The distrust that evolved between us, however, ultimately led to a 50-year Cold War that largely shaped our economies and international politics. Weve gotten ourselves into another similar situation with the Middle East.

Our intentions, motivations and execution of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan can be easily challenged. We have embittered and alienated a large part of the world population as a result. It's moot to look at the sheer lunacy and political incompetence that got us where we are today. As has been said here, the only thing to do now is to take our lumps and protect ourselves moving forward.

People in general do not want to live in conditions like those that have been created by the civil unrest and insurgency in Iraq. We can rightfully be blamed for allowing it to start but it will undoubtedly continue well after we've removed our last soldier from Iraqi soil. Iraqis are going to put-up with that instability for just so long and will then demand change. It will happen. But it will happen on their terms --- not ours. And that's the rub. Our attempt to 'shape' the Middle East into something that benefits our interests has failed. And that is a truly bitter pill to swallow --- for some more than others.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Good thread,

IMHO No the USA will not recover to what it used to be as it cannot. The American people have been changed since 911 that is why there is such widespread shock not only at 911 itself but of what has transpired since 911.

The Fed is devaluing the dollar $$ and I think it is valued at about 4c to the dollar itself (2006) - so worth nothing.

The 2 party system has shown that it cannot sustain a multi-ideal country, the USA needs party competition to maintain itself as a viable option to voters

Corporate USA is running the elections and not the voters.

Now, the rest of the world may change for the better but more than likely not. My idea is that this planet needs to go through this stage of development to attain a higher level of existance for the people that reside here - it is our mission to make the changes that need to be made and NOT the Governments that sell false ideals to the Sheeple out there.

Val

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
We could help the Kurds in Iraq. At least they seem to have it together alot more than the rest of Iraq. Why not help the good guys?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Some very good points folks,

I feel a war with Iran is pretty much expected around this time(media has done a good job on us ehhh) and once this happens the possibility for things to go extremely wrong is surely there.

As for Iraq,i really just don't see how were going to win it..
And what happens when we do finally leave,will Iraq just always be a place of mass bloodshed or will the goverment get over thrown and were right back there again...

Although this war has not touched me personally(no deaths in family etc)I feel we have been cheated.And now my generation is going to have to deal with this their whole life,well ever generation i guess,sigh

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The only positive aspect of the USA's War on Terror is that it finally removed the veil on what the country is actually like. No more is the USA seen as some champion of freedom and democracy and IMO that is a good thing. For it gives the government of the USA a type of public relations cover for their actions.

With that gone, the USA will hopefully be less able to wage wars as we see them doing today. Which is really in the best interest of any sane individual.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Ya good point,But many countries would'nt enter this war with us right from the get go....

You think next time even less will sign up for a war of profit?

new topics

top topics

join