It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best thing you make?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
What is the best food item you make?

For me,its egg rolls. I got tired of the crappy egg rolls from food places. All the stuff inside was mushy and sometimes questionable. But I love egg rolls and wanted to see if I could make some. I've made them now for over 14 years. I think I've perfected it, to my liking. If we are having friends over I ask what they spefically want in theirsI get requests when we go to a party and I ask what to bring. "Oh bring those egg rolls you make please!" Definately an ego boost for me

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Prawn and crabstick pizza! mmm. I don't like normal Pizza because it's so greasy so I started making this to comprimise with my boyfriend who loves pizza. It may sound a bit odd but try it, it's really nice

If anyone wants the recipe, give me a U2U I'd be happy to oblige.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Ahem...
vckums care to share that recipe? please, please?

For me..it's two different BBQ items..

One is pork ribs, with a spicy sweet dry rub, that contains brown sugar, garlic,
lots of black pepper, and a little crushed red pepper.

The other is Sirlion burgers..I mix in crumbled Feta cheese with basil in the burger before I make the patties. (careful Feta is salty, so make allowances for the amount of salt you add later)..it makes them very juicy, they don't seem to shrink as much either, probably because the juices stay put..

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Sure I can share. The ingredients however are purely up to what you like in them. I go to the grocery store and buy the wonton papers. I usually find them in Safeway or Albertsons in the fresh veggie section. I but sprouts, celery and whatever goodies look ok that day. You can choose whatever meat you prefer, for me its pork. I buy a few pork chops. We've also sometimes put in steamed white rice.

Cut up the pork into bite size pieces or strips(your preference). Put in a pan with some soy sauce, cook on medium until done. Take off stove and place in a bowl, set aside.

Cut up veggies, add sprouts into a pan with some water to steam. I like mine semi crunchy, make them how you like them. Take off stove, put in a bowl and set aside.

Lay out the wonton paper. Put a spoonful each of the meat and veggies into the middle. Fold, kitty corner, 2 sides.(I will take pictures next time to make it easier)Bring in towards middle. With one hand holding those, use the other hand to bring the corner towards you to the middle. Tuck it towards the food inthe middle and roll. I keep a small bowl of water nearby. Once its almost rolled I dampen the edge of the last corner. This seals the egg roll shut. It gets easier to roll the more you do this.

Heat up some oil. Fry about 2-3 minutes on each side. I make mine a golden brown. Drain really well, and wait to cool off a bit. As the insides are HOT!

Hubby's friend asked me to put cheese in some, I couldnt do it LOL He can do it the next time he's over for dinner.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I love feta cheese but never thought to put it in a burger mix. I need to try that one out! We haven't eaten dinner yet and this is making me hungry LOL

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
for me the best thing I make is...

reservations...

I'm not allowed to cook, especially after messing up he mac and cheese that one time....:shk:

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Chef Salad Wrap, fo sho.

Just as it sounds. Take a wrap shell, add lettuce, ham, turkey, cheese, ranch and some sunflower seeds and you are set.

I was salty when Mc'ds stopped selling their Chef salads so I had to take matters into my own hands.

Man im hungry

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
At the moment I'm really into spinach and feta salad.

Use your favourite kind of leaves and salad stuff (toms, cukes onion etc) but be sure to have spinach as the main base.
Add the feta and toss well, before putting in the fridge.

Put some mixed herbs, garlic and virgin olive oil into a blender and give it a good 2 minutes - leave in the fridge for 30 mins to 1 hour.

Drizzle dressing onto salad and enjoy!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Actually I'd have to flip a coin.
I make the best Turkey Dinner, complete with all the fixin's in the world! Even when Thanksgiving is not at my house, the people ask me to bring my Turkey and stuffing.

I also make one heck of a chicken Cordon-bleu.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I do dessert the best. Lemon meringue pie is my number one best thing. The trick to a light flaky crust is the almighty pastry blender.

I also do flan really well, and for very super special occasions (because it takes two days to make) Charlotte Malakoff au chocolate with Grand Marnier sauce. The recipe I use is from the New York Times Cookbook -- I can't find the one I prefer online. They all have coffee in them, and I don't use coffee in mine.

Lug

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Chili.

I use unfrozen lean hamburger, which I thoroughly brown before adding-

1/2 large spanish onion, not too finely chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped almost to a paste
1 large can of peeled whole tomatoes, a little busted up in the pan
1 can of red kidney beans
2 medium sized carrots (chopped)
3 tablespoons of chili powder
a tablespoon of raisins
a dash of red wine
a tablespoon of cocao
a teaspoon of Sambal Oelek (very hot Indonesian pepper sauce)
a dash of cumen
salt and pepper to taste

simmer slowly for at least 4 hours in a covered saucepan and stir twice an hour

Add any left over beef gravy

edit to chop carrots

[edit on 12-7-2007 by Lug]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is a recipe that I use many times every year, especially durring the colder months of Fall and Winter:

Harvest-Time Golden Cream of Potato Soup

4 c Boiling water

3 c Diced potatoes

1 1/2 c Sliced Carrots

1/2 c Chopped celery

1/4 c Chopped onion

2 tb Flour

2 c Milk

1/2 lb Chopped Velveeta cheese

1/2 ts Salt

1 t Parsley flakes

1 Cube chicken bouillon

Dash pepper

Add water to potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, parsley, seasonings, and bouillon cube. Cover and cook till just tender (don't overcook). Blend flour and about 1/4 c of milk and then stir into the vegetable mixture. Add remaining milk and cook until thickened. Add velveeta cheese and stir till melted. Serve with warm crusty bread, such as sourdough or sheepherders.

Try it, you'll like it.
:

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Homemade veggie beef soup with cinnamon up and down biscuits and apple pie. Serve those biscuits with homemade peach jam and yummy.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
Homemade veggie beef soup with cinnamon up and down biscuits and apple pie. Serve those biscuits with homemade peach jam and yummy.

Sounds great, GH. What times' supper?
: Seriously, my mouth is watering!

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
for me it would have to be

Anything chicken related.
I make good eggs, I use water.
My family are bakers and we have a bakery business, so I'm good with cakes also, even though it's been a few years since I've made one...

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightseeker

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

Sounds great, GH. What times' supper?
: Seriously, my mouth is watering!

How about this fall when it's not 100 plus anymore LOL

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I make mean confections...

My mother is a professional cake decorator (or as my friends call her, the "cake goddess"), so I've learned from her (as a hobby). I also do homemade chocolates (chocolate covered cherries, complete with filling, are my specialty).

I'm actually working on a cake tonight (my wife, the birthday girl, and myself have already spent over 4 hours on it) that is a fully 3D Hogwarts Castle (Harry Potter). I've got to do the final icing on it tonight. It's definitely the most complex cake I've ever done.

I'll post some pics of it over the weekend.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here's the cake I made last week for a friend of mine. She was having a Harry Potter themed birthday (we all went to the IMAX 3D version of the new movie). It's 3 flavors of cake (all double layers), bottom is chocolate with chocolate icing, then vanilla with buttercream, and then sour cream cake with buttercream. Then, I used fondant to cover and create the stone look... Was my first time working with fondant...lets you do some cool things, but doesn't taste all that great (like sugary, vanilla play dough), so I had the icing underneath it for taste. Anyhoo, it came out ok, but fondant really doesn't like heat...and in Florida, such cakes are risky...so I learned a LOT about what NOT to do making this one, hehe....

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Jeez Gaz, is there anything you can't do?

Me? It's pasta. Tell me what you like and I'll whip out the appropriate spices and viola. Except my lasagna, I don't screw with that recipe. It's my best pasta.

Second, mashed potatoes. EVERYONE loves those and that recipe is going to the grave with me.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well, my mother could have done that cake in 1/4 of the time (literally), and it would have looked 10 times better... Then again, she's done it for about half my lifetime so far....

She got my wife and I a nice starter set of tips, bags, colors, etc. for Christmas about two years ago, and ever since we've been doing our friends' and family's b-day/holiday cakes... She still owes me a few classes though, hehe...and I still have NO idea how the hell she makes a rose in approximately 15 seconds...(takes me like a half an hour).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join