It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Bomb explodes....... in Sydney, Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
ok firstly in Sydney this morning we have this.........

bomb like car probed.......

Police investigating etc

then a couple of hours ago this happened, a separate incident......

sydney car bomb leaves 4m crater

ok now I dont know Sydney that well.... but from what i can tell the area where the bomb exploded isnt in a residential area.

But that must have been some huge blast! 4 meters is about 13 feet for all the non metric people on the board.

Anyone else find it suspicious that in one day you have a car wired to look like a bomb , which ties up police resources on one side of the side of the city........ 3 hours later you have an actual bomb? And a big one at that.......

Was this just a trial run for something bigger maybe?

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Kind of hard to call- Could be a poorly-excuted attempt at carjacking and a message from teh mob, or maybe it is terrorists (however, why they would target australia is beyond me, when the US is a much bigger target)

DE

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I'll call my parents tomorrow. They're in one of Sydney's suburbs with some friends right now and might have some clue what's going on. If I find anything out, I'll let you know.

My opinion on it right now is GOD DAMN!!!! that's a big blast for a car bomb.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
A car bomb? In Austrailia? Man, i thought you Micks had a good set up there. I must be wrong though, considering the political unrest that seens to be brewing now.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
4m deep! Was that through asphalt as well?

I can't wait to hear more. I work in experimental explosives and have to say that if it was explosives it had to have been an EXTREMELY well made C4 bomb or ANFO. Or smething else, though C4 and ANFO are standard terrorist weapons as they are easily obtained or made even if difficult to wire properly.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
i live here and it was a car in a 10 acre paddock
in the middle of nowhere. the cops think it was
just some kids who were mucking around with a
few sticks of geli'. they got the c4 bomb dogs to
check and came up with nothing. all is well

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The MOB? In Austrailia?

Maybe I'm being naive, but I thought you were missing out on the joys of organized crime such as we have in the US. We never hear about it.

BG

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
i live here and it was a car in a 10 acre paddock
in the middle of nowhere. the cops think it was
just some kids who were mucking around with a
few sticks of geli'. they got the c4 bomb dogs to
check and came up with nothing. all is well

The blast was felt as far away as French's forest ( according to the article it was felt 30 KM away) and it left a 4 meter deep crater ?

That's a lot of geli!

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Yes we Aussies still have to worry about terrorism. A lot of countries around the world have had threats, it is not just an "American" thing.

The radical muslims hate all westerners and any democratic country, any country that is not muslim.

The muslims hate Australia and are really pissed off because of our military contribution to the war in Iraq.

Sydney especially has a lot of problems with gangs of muslim youths and drive by shootings. They have taken over whole suburbs and are building mosques everywhere. We are being forced to live in a world which is not offensive to the muslims yet are offensive to us. Many pre-schools and primary schools are not allowed to celebrate xmas because if offends the muslims. Jews have been living in this country for many years but they don't ask us to stop celebrating xmas as this is out right.

My husband and I used to both have Mondays off work and in summer we went with our children to the local "PUBLIC" swimming pool. Howver the local muslim women won't swim with men, so men were bannned from the "PUBLIC" pool on Mondays as it was declared open to women only!!!!!!!!!!!

For these and many other reasons my family and I have moved away from the city where we no longer have majority rights. We live in a tropical town where heathens and christians live happily together with no muslims in sight. Think I'm a racist??? Well until you have to live amongst them and change your ways because of them don't give an opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Police are questioning a 28-year-old man from Blacktown.

Just looks like some guys mucking around. Why would a terrorist or gangs blow up a car in a paddock?

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
it was a wreck in a paddock in a large flat area.
it doesn't take a huge explosion in the oz
countryside, for the wave to travel 30km.
12 months ago the army were conducting
live fire ex' at puckapunyal with our old
heap of crap leopards and my windows
rattled, and i live 75km from the range.
anyway farmers use dyno' and geli' all the
time to blow up tree stumps and expand
their dams. if u know who, u can get geli'
easy. back 2 the car bomb it was just a prank
like i said

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
it was a wreck in a paddock in a large flat area.
it doesn't take a huge explosion in the oz
countryside, for the wave to travel 30km.
12 months ago the army were conducting
live fire ex' at puckapunyal with our old
heap of crap leopards and my windows
rattled, and i live 75km from the range.
anyway farmers use dyno' and geli' all the
time to blow up tree stumps and expand
their dams. if u know who, u can get geli'
easy. back 2 the car bomb it was just a prank
like i said

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by sanctum]

ok you live in Aus? so do I. And there is a big difference between living up near Puckapunyal , which is in the middle of the Victorian countryside near Seymour and Eastern Creek in Sydney. There's more "stuff" in between Eastern Creek and where the blast was felt than there would necessarily be near Puckapunyal. If you look at the map I've put up below you'll see Eastern creek marked.

That ISNT in the " middle of nowhere" like you said and there are houses and roads and even a freeway down near liverpool...... all blocking soundwaves. AND within the 30 km radius mentioned.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
to mullberry
I stand corrected. I forgot to consider the geo.
Plus Syd metro area(residential etc) is twice
the size of Melb'. I still think it was a couple
of idiots having a laugh. If they were terrorist's
they would detonate it in a dif' location. After
all if a ubl is gonna do it, it wont be in a paddock

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The black line on your map between Parramatta and Penrith is the "M4 Motorway" one of the busiest roads in outer Sydney. Anyone driving along there would definitely have heard or felt the explosion.

Eastern Creek is a "grassy suburb"in between heavily populated suburbs. I have no doubt that this was a practice for a terrorist car bombing attempt.

There are many radical muslim groups in Australia and a few who have been in the news lately. Don't be complacent, a bunch of amateur local radical muslims could be at work here.

I know Eastern Creek well as my baby son is buried in a cemetary there and we visit regularly.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Why test the bomb somewhere it wont hurt anyone? Why not just test in the middle of the city?

Either way the test is letting the authorities know you can make car bombs. Might as well not waste whatever explosives you have on blowing up paddocks.

posted on Jan, 10 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I am just a few km's away right now and this is the first I have read/heard of the car bomb. Never felt a thing at all. I doubt it was felt 30km away, that is extreme exaggeration.

Funny how slow news travels when it doesn't matter?!

I am more concerned about the extent of smoke from a couple of arsonists' bushfires.

Stupidity not terrorist rehearsal is behind this I think.

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by MaskedAvatar]

new topics

top topics

join