It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tunnels Found near Iran's Nuke Sites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Tunnels Found near Iran's Nuke Sites

www.iranfocus.com

Washington Post: The sudden flurry of digging seen in recent satellite photos of a mountainside in central Iran might have passed for ordinary road tunneling. But the site is the back yard of Iran's most ambitious and controversial nuclear facility, leading U.S. officials and independent experts to reach another conclusion: It appears to be the start of a major tunnel complex inside the mountain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Kinda makes you think, what more they have to hide then just peaceful power sources.

www.iranfocus.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Washington Post

more info

Chron

Some pictures

[edit on 9-7-2007 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Looks like its going to be another game of hide and find the nuclear weapons just like Iraq. They will hide them and we will come over to inspect them and then when we ask to many questions or want to look in a certain place they will kick us out and re-hide them. Then we will try to make them stop whatever it is that they are doing and the people all over will proclaim that there is no WMD's in Iran and the scenario will play out in Iran this time. In the end they will probably send them to another country for safe keeping or bury them somewhere obscure and we will attack or something to disarm them and they will try to fool the world into believing that they were not doing anything wrong and the USA will look like a bully.

Reminds me of Cops the TV series when a drug dealer gets caught red handed and as he is getting carted away says "what did i do? I didn't do anything".

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Could be that they are just building an underground storage facility for nuclear waste.

Tis what we do in the UK and the US.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You know how to flush out a gopher, right? Take a modified Chinook tanker in there and hover right above the hole after you see them enter.

I think Stumason is right though, if you have nuclear waste, you need to find a place to hide, sorry, store it.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am really getting sick of the American governments game of distraction and disinformation...

Oh, geez, wow, a tunnel... where the hell else are you going to store nuclear waste?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
All one can do really is speculate. Thats all I was doing
. But in all honesty they are going to do whatever they want and there is not a damn thing we can do to stop it. (Aside from invading or blowing them off the map).

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Not too different from the rest of the worlds view of the US eh?

Can't do anything about it, apart from waging war...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
We'll know soon enough what it's real purpose is once they start moving material into it. We have more than just satellite footage to rely on for these things...

[edit on 9-7-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
All of America's kicking and screaming can't stop Iran from whatever it is they are doing.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm sticking by my original assessment.

what with having just started up their reactor(s), they're going to need someone to put the spent fuel.

Can't have it lying around for those "terr'ists" now, can we?

In fact, I'll put £50 on the line to say that's what it is. If anyone wants to take me up on the bet, I'll play along.

For those who don't have the luxury of such a great currency, £50=$100...

Anyone?
You see, if they wanted to have an underground Nuclear complex, what sense would it be to start building one now with all the hubub going on?

They've been at it for years and have their existing sites well hardened anyway. it makes no sense to start building an underground facility, right in the middle of a huge international panic over your programme.

Logic dictates that if you wanted it to be secret and well protected, you would have done it from the off, rather than when your about to bring your reactors online and everyone is already suspicious.

The only logical thing it can be is a waste storage facility.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
From the original article:

"The tunnel complex certainly appears to be related to Natanz," said David Albright, a former U.N. weapons inspector and president of the Institute for Science and International Security, a Washington-based nonprofit group that provided copies of the photos to The Washington Post. "We think it is probably for storage of nuclear items."

and

Iran has been enriching uranium at Natanz on a small scale for more than four years, creating a less-enriched product that can be used for generating electricity. With further enrichment, the uranium could be used in making weapons.

So they haven't even enriched to the level needed for Power generation, let alone weapons, although you have to credit the attempt at spin at the end of that paragraph...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
They Have had more tunnels that we know about that we brought to attention in 2004, this is just a few that we "do" know about,

Waste or weapons, one way or another its still something to keep a keen eye on. I mean witht he Fuel rations, and the Venezuela oil treaty they signed just a week ago, and the many iranians I talk to online that arent happy with their state of living due to the harsh dictator like way of life from Not one but TWO high people of power ( Iranian prez, and The Ayatollah ) as well as their views apon the western world, America and the rest of the world do have reason to be alarmed.

Heres some other links to show they have been at this for a while in multiple reigons of their country. In some of these links they come out and say they are using these are nuke storage sites.

2005 tunnel nuke site project

2005 tunnel project

and some more info about present day tunnel projects with another picture

2007 project

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What's to say this isn't just a diversion ?

They make a road, dig a hole, pile up some rocks, and make it look like a major target for a future attacks. Meanwhile the real secret underground processing facility is miles away and deep underground in hardened bunkers.

It really wouldn't be that difficult to hide a secret facility in a country like Iran if they wanted to.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

All of America's kicking and screaming can't stop Iran from whatever it is they are doing.

Kicking and Screaming? I think it's probably something more like a wave of B-2 Spirits to kick things off. Followed on by thousands of tomahawks. Then maybe they'll start in with some B-1's, B-52's, F-117's and endless sorties from 3-4 Aircraft carriers.

So yes, your right, kicking and screaming won't accomplish anything. But I think it's a bit naive to think that's all America can do. There will be a Red Line that Iran will cross. Too late for some, not soon enough for others. But the effect will be the same.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ive been thinking the same,
You dont make it obvious where your 'sensitive' aspects are.
You play games, trick the enemy.

It will play right into Irans hands, if the US goes all out and destroys some empty mountain hideouts... once its on, you'll know, and if youve kept your trump card out of harms way the advatage is effectivley in your court.

Building a device suitable for a nuclear detonation isnt too difficult, Little-boy was rather crude, and Iran are a smart nation with very much a scientific base.
The required components are the hardest part of a bomb, the ingredients, plutonium and uranium... enough so that all you need is a metal suitcase to hold enough ingredients for a big bang...

Iran delegates did visit Nkorea lately, and nkorea do have the 'ingredients'
Whats says they didnt give them a suitcase, i mean we werent on the planes returning from Nkorea to Tehran were we, how do we know what they exchanged?

Nkorea seem awfully hasty to lay down and accept US deals...
All Iran needs is 2 bombs, one for the greenzone, and one for northern israel.
After that the US is obliged to fightback, and they cant irradiate the entire ME, all that oil would be lost.
Once this occurs Nkorea can march on Skorea, China on Taiwann, and the ME on israel.

I tell you, its been arranged for a while now.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I have a VERY clear opinion on Nuclear Weapons....if you have them why shouldn't everyone else???

To me, its just like Microsoft, if were so against a company "cornering the market" than why are We so "hell bent" on keeping the Nuclear War machine only within the countries we control??? Theres that word again, "CONTROL".

I think this whole World needs to stand up and destroy ALL Nuclear weapons and WMD so we can start a Real Peace process throughout the whole world. Instead of a Rich bunch of GOONS running around as Leaders of Countries we need to start understanding that the World is getting smaller. We need to see the VALUE of trade. We need to see the VALUE of human beings. We need to see the VALUE of life. We need to see the VALUE of CULTURE. We need to see the VALUE of Freedom of Religion, etc.

I am so Sick and Tired of being one of two countries who have THOUSANDS of NUCLEAR BOMBS ready to destroy the World, yet, as soon as some other Country who we don't think conform to our standards wants to have the same power we want to Bomb and Destroy them.....Hyprocrocy is the Worst trait for a Country...

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar

Kicking and Screaming? I think it's probably something more like a wave of B-2 Spirits to kick things off. Followed on by thousands of tomahawks. Then maybe they'll start in with some B-1's, B-52's, F-117's and endless sorties from 3-4 Aircraft carriers.

So yes, your right, kicking and screaming won't accomplish anything. But I think it's a bit naive to think that's all America can do. There will be a Red Line that Iran will cross. Too late for some, not soon enough for others. But the effect will be the same.

Winning the war is easy but winning the ensuing insurgency will be impossible.

Hasn't the U.S. learned anything from Iraq?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Oh, and I forgot to mention that if anything happens to Iran, Israel is toast.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
I think this whole World needs to stand up and destroy ALL Nuclear weapons and WMD so we can start a Real Peace process throughout the whole world.

Ah, the simplistic and dualistic view of nuclear weapons as well "peace". Not that I have any interest in disusing a pointless and unrealistic view of humanity. But at the very least acknowledge the "peace" and safety dividend nuclear weapons have established for the last half century.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by WestPoint23]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join