It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time lucky - A genuine phenomenon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
On the cloud-busting thread someone's just melted some clouds with the power of their mind. I've tried that too and it works. Trouble is the power vanished after my first few attempts and I can't do it now. Years ago someone showed me how to read the horses page in the paper. I gambled 50p that same day and won £275.36. The first time I went ice-skating I was like a pro. When I went a few years later I fell all over the place. I call this the "first time effect" and I've done it with countless things over the years. Does anyone else believe in this? My opinion is that when you haven't tried something before you're open to the possibility that anything can happen and you have a good ounce of hope, and you're usually enjoying yourself. When you try again a little doubt creeps in and you go off the target.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by wigit]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I forgot to mention, when there was news of a UFO flap at a place not far from where I lived I took off there specifically to see a UFO, and I did. When I had a go at dowsing for a lost item it worked, and my first try with zenner cards was a hit. First time effect anyone? Or is it just me?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
My opinion is that when you haven't tried something before you're open to the possibility that anything can happen and you have a good ounce of hope, and you're usually enjoying yourself. When you try again a little doubt creeps in and you go off the target.

It kinda leads me to the Matrix theory and also humans being dumbed down over the years.

As children we are sent to school where we are taught what is right and wrong, black and white...etc. So we know what can and can't happen due to physics and chemistry in the 'real world.'

You're point leads me to this. When we try things we have never done before, we don't know what can be achieved and what can or can't be accomplished. A film example would be The Matrix. Jumping across 20 foot gaps, running up walls!? We have been told this can't happen so our brain perceives that it can''t happen, therefore we fail. Now, what about people who can walk on hot coals, people who can move things with their minds and people who can set things on fire and create heat with the palms of their hands? In my experience these people come from poor backgrounds and poor countries. So, if that's the case, they wouldn't have had very good (if any) education so therefore their mind hasn't been told what can and can't happen. Hence they can do rather spiritual things.

That was delving deep into your idea, but it's basically the same point. Maybe when we do things for the first time, we think anything is possible because our brain isn't sending sub conscious messages to us that we will fail and fall flat on our asses?

The power of the mind.

[edit on 12-7-2007 by Arawn]

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Years ago someone showed me how to read the horses page in the paper. I gambled 50p that same day and won £275.36.

Hi Wigit,

How did you do that? what did your friend show you?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I believe in this. I have done this various time too. I never liked gambling and I went with my mother once and won like 80 dlls. I also was able to pop a cap from a water bottle once thinking about it. Other than that I don't know the explanation to this. But yes there seems to be something about doing things for the first time.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by lanciau

Years ago someone showed me how to read the horses page in the paper. I gambled 50p that same day and won £275.36.

Hi Wigit,

How did you do that? what did your friend show you?

Thanks.
Hi Lanciau, it wasn't a psychic reading or anything. They just showed me what all the strange numbers & stuff next to the horses names were for and once I knew what it meant I picked six horses I thought were the best. The bet was called a place-pot. The horse doesn't have to win to stay in that kind of bet, it can come 1st, 2nd or 3rd and the "pot" accumulates onto the next race. I think it was a case of first time luck. Perhaps that's why a lot of folk become gamblers. If a first time win is common it could be the hook that keeps them coming back for that first "hit".

Originally posted by Arawn[i/] Maybe when we do things for the first time, we think anything is possible because our brain isn't sending sub conscious messages to us that we will fail and fall flat on our asses?

The power of the mind.
I agree totally. I think it's hard to UN-condition the mind for psychic feats but it can be done.

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   
the crowd i was in called it 'Beginners Luck'

i suppose we remember when we had good fortune
and i suppose that 'first timers' & good fortune combined is worth remembering

i do not actually remember any of my 'beginners Bad-luck' events
which have probably happened 100X more often.

which does not jibe with the probability ratio of 50-50, or something like that

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Carl Jung's book talks about the phenomena in Synchronicity. He set up an ESP test with those cards with symbols (star, wavy lines etc.) and got one person to transmit the symbol on the card to another person. The interesting thing is that, as long as both people have not done the test before and are interested in the outcome, a success rate some 30% higher than probability would dictate.

Zen Buddhism also features "beginner's mind" prominently. It is the state of mind you had when all these things worked for you, but is a very hard state of mind to maintain. Look into it, because it teaches ways of regaining that state of mind, the ideal one for "practice" (meditation).

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Or it could be the person never tried something before, and actually had a talent for it and when they did try it the first time their talent was brought out?

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The thing is that beginner's luck generally fades. It is well recognised by golfers. Try hitting a golf ball with a 3-iron (woods can go anywhere
) and you will probably hit it in the right direction, quite far - if you have never done it before. This continues until you start thinking "hmmm, this game is easy. Can't see what all the fuss is about!" when the wheels start falling off and you start losing balls. This holds true for just about everyone I know who plays the game, even the ones who have gone on to become scratch golfers.

[edit on 13-7-2007 by Karilla]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
How did you melt clouds with your mind? Awrawn and the guy with the stewie avatar had the write with beginners luck and the matrix theory. Also we are dumbed down over time, if anyone has seen "are you smarter than a fifth grader" it's great way to see how we have dumbed down

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
One day I had a pack of cards in my hand while my son was watching cartoons on the telly. I shuffled the cards and asked him what card I was holding. He got the first card correct, the second correct but wrong suit, the third correct etc. I'd say he got about eight correct plus another eight numbers (but not suits) correct out of twenty. We were laughing and he was so proud as I got more and more excited. Then it went pear-shaped as he started showing off. First time luck, I think. Another time I got him to hide my purse in my room. I drew a rough sketch of the room including the bed, every drawer, cupboard etc. I dowsed over the sketch using a pendulum and a ruler held on the paper to draw a horizontal, then vertical line when the pendulum reacted. The lines on the sketch crossed where my pillow was. My son said I was correct and we raced each other upstairs. I was gobsmacked to find the purse in the correct spot. We tried again with a plan of the kitchen. I found my purse in the washing machine, exactly where the cross was in my sketch. I think these things happen when you don't care, and it's when you start to bother about results things can go awry. I think first time luck is a genuine phenomenon, and not "just" luck.

[edit on 19-7-2007 by wigit]

top topics

join