It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Seven Wonders of the World Winners Announced!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

New Seven Wonders of the World Winners Announced!

www.spiegel.de

...the number of people who had cast their ballots for the new seven wonders of the world had risen to 100 million. And in a glitzy presentation on Saturday in Lisbon, the winners were announced: the Great Wall of China, the ancient city of Petra in Jordan, Brazil's Christ the Redeemer statue, Machu Picchu in Peru, the Mayan city of Chichén Itzá in Mexico, Rome's Colosseum and India's Taj Mahal...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.new7wonders.com
en.wikipedia.org
www.swissinfo.o rg

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Global poll offers world new 7 wonders
New 7 Wonders of the World!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...
the new 7 wonders

[edit on 7/9/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
After a year of campaigning by locations across the globe, over 100,000,000 people voted, and the ballots were finally cast, to name the Seven New Wonders of the World: The Great Wall of China, The City of Petra, The Christ The Redeemer Statue, Machu Picchu, Chichén Itzá, the Colosseum, and the Taj Mahal. The Great Pyramid, the only surviving member of the Ancient Seven Wonders of the World, was originally up for vote as well, but it was eventually decided that it would not need to compete to maintain its place. So, technically, there are Eight Wonders of the World now.

It is worth noting there are dissenting views on the results, mostly sour grapes. The most ridiculous amongst them, however, comes from the Vatican itself, upset that there were no Cathedrals on the list, and that the organizers had an "anti-catholic bias." Presumably, Rio De Janeiro's Christ the Redeemer statue wasn't enough for them, nor was the fact that three of the winners (the other two being Machu Picchu and Chichen Itza came from Latin America, a primarily Catholic region of the Earth.

That the Great Wall of China and The Colosseum would win are no surprises, being as many people mistakenly believe them to already be one of the Seven Ancient Wonders of the World. However, Petra winning was a bit of a surprise, at least to me. Not to say it wasn't worthy, it just never struck me as having the popularity of some of the other contenders. India's Taj Mahal, widely believed to be one of the most beautiful buildings on Earth, was a great choice.

I myself voted back in January, when the Pyramids were still on the ballot. My votes were:

Great Wall of China
Pyramids of Giza
Easter Island Statues
Stonehenge
Petra
Angkor
Machu Picchu

So I'm pretty pleased at the results.

www.spiegel.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/9/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Souljah scooped ya about 34 hours ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Usless poll in my mind since none of the current 7 have changed or been destroyed

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Damn, you're right. I saw the thread, but just the OP, which was still happening during the vote. I didn't see the "winners" posted the next post down. Alrighty...closing the thread.

new topics

top topics

join