It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only in America - 70 year old Woman Jailed for "Neglected Lawn"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
We just had an issue with a local officer getting a bit heavy handed with skateboarding teens - the whole incident made it on youtube and even the National news.

What strikes me is the similarities in procedure - over bearing, quick to issue orders and throw the cuffs on....it's like they're neglecting to train officers in the manner of "Peace Officers" anymore.

Perhaps it's the rise in violent crime, maybe it's underfunding, maybe it's just the personality of the officer involved. I can't say for sure.

Whatever the case may be, these guys need some sensitivity training if they're going after elderly ladies like they would an armed drug dealer in a dark alleyway.

It's ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

[edit on 9/0707/07 by neformore] to correct a title mistake

Not that it matters but she was arrested but not jailed as it says in the title. It is in the source article

"[b]without jailing her, a police spokesman said "

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
Not that it matters but she was arrested but not jailed as it says in the title. It is in the source article

That's not what it says:

She was treated in a local hospital for the cut to her nose and for other bruises before being taken to jail.

But she was let go when police realised there were "other ways" of finding out her identity without jailing her, a police spokesman said

In other words, they then released her.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The original article is from the BBC, has this been reported in the USA at all, by the mainstream news? Anyone seen it on the mainsteam news channels?

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Since when is having a dry lawn an arrestable offense? It's a city code, right? That should mean a fine or some such, but being hit and taken to jail? Oh please. At 70 y.o. she MAY hve been a bit addled, but the cop should have been aware of that and used some diplomacy. This guy is a jerk and a bully. He could have just gone to the neighbor's and found out what her name was.
The reason she didn't give her name in the first place was probably the cop's attitude. If her lawn was really that bad in the first place, the Church would have helped her out, that's what Mormons do. But they didn't and that tells me that it couldn't have been that bad. Utah is a desert anyway, why shouldl people have green lawns? Aren't they aware there's an impending worldwide shortage of water???

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by shots

That's not what it says:

In other words, they then released her.

Yes it is I cut and pasted the eaxact words from the source article.

Yes they took her to the jail but it clearly says they never jailed her.

[edit on 7/10/2007 by shots]

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
They released her because it was a public relations nightmare. It was an illegal act by the cops and can and should SUE the hell out of them. the cop's CANNOT just UN-arrest you, no way. If you are arrested and transported, they either book you or jail you, but no way can they undo an arrest. If the charges had been correct, they would not have dropped the matter; they are just scrambling to limit the liability for the coming lawsuit, that's all.

Those redneck pigs did not care one bit about that old woman, she was just another warm body to them. But politics plays a heavy part in all cop matters and so the bosses saw the writing on the wall and backed off before they became the item for continuing news atricles and exposure of their awful traing and supervision of their brutal cop's.

MOST cops are heavy handed and brutal, MOST cops will violate Rights, MOST cop's will falsely arrest. this just happened to be one of those that got some publicity and so had to be taken care of fast. The police state that the cop's drool for and that the NWO bosses plan for us is in full swing right now. For ANY cop under ANY circumstances to arrest and abuse an old lady is the most telling example of the common attitude they all possess; us against them and rules mean nothing if Mr. Piggy wants to win.

Sickening. And even more sickening is the fact that there are those who would DEFEND the vicious and brutal cop's; no matter what, there are always apologists for the bad cops ( most all ); those are the real enemy, the citizen who gives up their rights and encourages brutal pigs to keep on spitting on the Constitution and our Rights. Sheep to the slaughter..how sad.

This is but a sample of what we are facing in this nation; when a President condones torture and detention without trial and all manner of horror against the law and reason, it emboldens the cop's to follow King Georgie's sick examples and further destroy the rule of law and civilized society. Most Americans are not leaders, they are followers and lemmings rushing toward the cliff at breakneck speed and trusting that the cop's have a safety net at the bottom. Well, guess what? That net was removed long ago and all you have coming is a long fall and a big suprise when you hit bottom!!

posted on Jul, 13 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Not really along topic... per say, but the other day I was at the bar with some coworkers... I was introduced to one of my friend's kids (mid to late 20's) and we ended up discussing what one's family did for a living.

One of the kid's parents, or uncle, as I found out worked for the ATF. I can't remember the entire discussion, but it was stated of how they wanted to leave the bar for a fear that this ATF personnel was probably going to be watching them. Again, I can't fully remember the entire conversation, but this is what stuck in my mind....

I had made a remark that he shouldn't be too worried, because "you've done nothing wrong, and besides... you've got rights. I know my rights."

One of the kids made the response, "Yeah, and they know our rights, too, and they won't hesitate to take them away. They live for that stuff."

I find it very disheartening that people are allowing this type of mentality, let alone being taught it at a breakneck speed. Something needs to be done, and soon.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
in the town of new bern in some parts of town" suprisingly only in african american sections" people have gotten fines and arrested for drinking on their front porches. why because the cops will tell you the law states if you are 10 foot or less from the street drinking a beer its considered public drunkeness. most of these houses in this neighborhood are built with front porch 2 foot from street. ergo anybody drinking is in violation . now get this in the white section of town they have a mum festival and a spring arts festival where they have a 10 block block party with vendors selling get this glasses of beer. but suprise suprise nobody gets ticketed for drinking then even if they are in middle of street.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join