It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only in America - 70 year old Woman Jailed for "Neglected Lawn"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ahh don't you love living in the Land of the Free?

...oh that's right - this isn't it anymore

The scary thing is our freedom hasn't been taken from us... we gave it away for a false sense of security.

[edit on 7/9/07 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Went and visited their website Orem City

I had to have a laugh at the City slogan "Family City USA"

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Geez, what the heck is going on? She was seventy years old so what if she did not water her lawn. People and their perfect grass. Everytime I pass through Utah something ridiculous happens. Even if the cop did not mean to hert her, he had no right to cuff her and take her to jail. I think this is the most absurd, pathetic thing I have ever heard of. Craziness..

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I know that bashing citizens is something crooked/violent officers are and have been capable of throughout the formation of the police force but manhandling elderly women?

Granted she may have been a bit cantankerous (some old folks can be) and I am no police officer but I do know they face deadly threats on a regular basis...even from the seemingly harmless. With the elderly woman in this case I would have hoped that the officer would try and exercise some restraint. Doesn't even seem worth the time really.

Honestly, after seeing that off-duty cop/detective beat the crap out of that little female bartender (coward) that tried to stop him from bullying customers and the subsequent attempt at a cover-up I really just can't get surprised by anything that an officer can be charged with doing.

How this poor 52 year old diabetic man who called 911 for help and got tasered instead? Police State coming? Maybe...

Man calls for EMS, gets police Tasers

Waxahachie resident Allen Nelms says a call to 911 to get medical attention for his diabetic seizure got him Tasered by police instead.

He said he still has no answer as to why police broke down his door with their guns drawn before shooting him multiple times with a Taser as he lay in bed.

“One of the officers said I ‘lunged’ at him. I asked him, ‘How can I lunge at you from my back and on my bed?’ ” Nelms said in an interview with the Daily Light.

shocked response

follow up

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I read it on the internet news;however, I had initially thought that it was a woman here in the UK.

I think it is despicable and diabolical that a woman of seven decades should be treated so badly. When I saw that it was in the Mid-West of the United States of America, I was even more disgusted that she was bereft of her rights. Would it have done any harm for her neighbours to have helped her with her lawn.

Then I do believe that some parts of the US,including Utah are, or have been drought stricken. I know that some of the US states soils are mostly clay and are very hard to tend to when the ground is dry.

I think the people who arrested her should be ashamed of themselves. What if the woman has an arthritic condition and is unable to tend to her lawn. My husband has offered on numerous occasions to help my seven + decade neighbour. (I don't like stereotyping people based on the time that they have lived here on Earth) and she has refused. Then again, her garden is manageable to some extent for her, and what she can't do our local council does for her free of charge.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Went and visited their website Orem City

I had to have a laugh at the City slogan "Family City USA"

Greenfruit,
This is not really directed at you. It's just that your statement is a great example.

I have family there. It is a beautiful peaceful city. I spent a large part of my childhood a few miles from there in one of the many nearly crime free towns around that area. It is indeed a great place to raise a family.

The officer was immediately put on leave. Why would you blame an entire city for the actions of ONE MAN??? For that matter why would anyone blame an entire country for a handful of examples where a few bad apples screwed up?

You will all notice that people can only come up with a handful of incidents of this nature involving police while there is a mountain of examples of the reason we have them in the first place. This cop handled this wrong. That speaks poorly of this cop but has nothing whatsoever to do with the city or the country. The answer is fire this cop. Not, condemn the entire city or country.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

You will all notice that people can only come up with a handful of incidents of this nature involving police while there is a mountain of examples of the reason we have them in the first place. This cop handled this wrong. That speaks poorly of this cop but has nothing whatsoever to do with the city or the country. The answer is fire this cop. Not, condemn the entire city or country.

Well said old chap.

I guess we have technology to thank for answering the "who will watch the watchers" question, what with camera phones and broadband internet access.

I've seen alot of these abuses of power in supposedly free and democratic countries over the last few months and hope that these free flowing exchanges of information and public opinion will show our authorities that we ALL know where the llne should be drawn.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Quick call the police, I haven't cleaned my room!

[edit on 9-7-2007 by UnforgiveableSin]

[edit on 9-7-2007 by UnforgiveableSin]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
More like, only in Greater Salt Lake City. That whole area is so in the thrall of the ultraconservative Mormon Church it's scary.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is terrible but it really isnt new. In Arizona (Phoenix) they have "Lawn Patrols" and if your lawn or the outside of your house is messy they can write you a ticket.

I think they took this too far.

I have one rule: I never leave the house a mess, you never know who's going to take the liberty in this day and age to tresspass for a lookey see.
We're not free to live our lives like we were, so take some precaution.

A few unwashed dishes could probably git you some jail time. Our homes are the governments castles.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

a handful of examples where a few bad apples screwed up?

When people always say there are a few bad apples. Its time to dig a little deeper.

Both in Australia and New Zealand have had major inquires of the police (we call them Royal Commissions of Inquires) these are authorised by the government of the day.

Australia's was in the 80's and New Zealand just finished theirs.What started as "few bad apples" in a rape case became in New Zealand a major overhaul the policing system. With the final outcome of a culture of fear and Intimidation by the police being proven. 100's of hidden convictions by the police about the police came to light. Pending prosecutions waiting (not just a couple).

So don't be to quick to say it's only a few bad apples. Always be sceptical and question things (don't be afraid)

Why would you blame an entire city

Because someone in your City or town passed a by-law/ordnance or law that says that you must maintain your lawns etc to a set standard.
Those people who passed that law were elected by you Joe Public.

at the end of the day laws should also be sensible

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit

Both in Australia and New Zealand have had major inquires of the police (we call them Royal Commissions of Inquires) these are authorised by the government of the day.

You have good reason to be suspicious.

uberarcanist,

I was raised as a Mormon in that area. Although I'm no longer a member, by choice, it is irritating when I read things about them that are untrue or exaggerated. The Mormon Culture is much different than you realize. Much of what is on this board would not be a problem with them including UFO's and mistrust of Government. They are far more pragmatic about it though.

The problems in the Salt Lake City area are not related to the Mormon Church. Mormons are a minority in that City and a majority in other areas. Salt Lake City has a major problem with crime and has for many years. The criminals are seldom Mormon. Most small towns are nearly crime free. I can't think of a better place to raise a child away from the trash that inhabits parts of the inner-cities in this and other countries.

It is sad that so many people are misinformed about these people. Every book I've picked up about them has been filled with lies. The sad part is they are usually written by people pretending to be Christian.

Myowncrusade,
Thanks

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
That's your own personal opinion. When I was in SLC, I found it to have a very "repressed" atmosphere, and every time I had an encounter with a Mormon, I felt like they were a brainwashed individual. Since most of the individuals I met were "foot soldiers" (my designation) from BYU, perhaps they are not representative of Mormonism as a whole, though it is scary that that was considered the best and brightest of their young people. I keep hearing about instances of repression in SLC, whether or not its the outmoded alcohol laws or the incident at the rave in Spanish Fork Canyon.

www.usatoday.com...
www.prisonplanet.com...

[removed quote of entire previous post]
Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-7-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
What a lack of respect for an elderly woman. I don't care if she was making moonshine on her property. He needs to show some class and restraint when addressing the public which he is there to protect and serve. These punk cops have no respect for anyone, let alone a 70 year old woman who posed no threat. We are all in danger of becoming the victims of this nasty police state run amok. It seems that this government is like a stubborn mule that only understands an ass kicking.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It seems to me the mormons in Salt Lake City are trying to control everyone and everything. My brother has lived there for a couple of years and tells me these horrific stories. He is moving soon and can not wait. I am not judging anyone I just want to know why they have to control everything.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
My initial impression is that this cop didn't know what to do with a cranky old lady- not that he meant harm but that he was ignorant of the scope of his duties and powers. This hardly excuses him. I'm just saying it's not a sign of a police state.

He tried to give a warning in accordance with a local statute that most of us would probably find petty and obsessive. She probably got defensive and copped an attitude with him (believe me, I've spent enough time around my grandmother's house to know how these things go down) and he did not have the presence of mind to evaluate the situation and say "well, she's not a serious offender, I've done what I came here to do, this isn't worth the trouble, so I'm gonna leave now and see if this is a seasonal problem- it's summer afterall- and we'll get judgemental about it in early november.

Instead he did what it would be appropriate for him to do 9 times out of 10 when somebody gets more defensive than a situation warrants- look into the matter further, beginning by asking for ID.

At this point I buy neither story. She didn't spontaneously flal down and he didn't beat her senseless. She tried to walk away, he grabbed her (inappropriate for an old lady- if a guy of my size and description does that during a serious incident, maybe i'm going to get a weapon or get rid of contraband, but in this case, its unjustified). She fell when he grabbed her and beaned herself on the gear hanging on his belt.

Why he arrested her then? She probably flew off the handle, really feeling that he had attacked her (because at a certain point in the aging of the mind, and I mean no offense, I have noted people to gain the ability to experience a completely alternative reality) and at that point he was afraid that his badge was on the line so he arrested her so he could say he was placing her under arrest when he grabbed her.

So odds are that we've got a dumb cop who never set out to do anything wrong but who, if I'm right, needs to lose his job because he displayed an ability to compound mistakes to a dangerous degree rather than thinking in the moment and cutting his losses.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
There are much much worse scenarios that go on with 'law-enforcers' in other parts of the world. Including Europe.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by laiguana]

Sorry but after living for 16 years in Germany i have yet to hear of something like this happening here.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I'm curious to why most of the people of the US don't get sick and tired to seeing and hearing this kind of crap throughout the states/world. As stated before cops are there to protect and serve!! Since when does the government have the right or need to use and abuse it's citizens?? I hate having to hear that people have given their rights away quite easily and happily for "whatever."

We the people should not be afraid of the government or it's various agencies, they should be terrified of the citizens that they swore to help and serve!! When People of a district/county/state and federal level see blatant abuse of power and corruption, they should demand that they be fired on the spot regardless if they are cops, sheriffs, mayors, congressman, senators, judges or presidents!!! These government employees should truly realize that even though they may help write laws, they are not ABOVE IT!!! If anything, they should be held to stricter accountabilities then the average person since they "should" know the law inside out!!

I can go on forever about it but I just wanted to give my personal opinion on the state of things in some areas. Hopefully, I won't get in trouble for stating an opinion since I've seen that freedom of the press and thought are under attack also..

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I am so repulsed by this article. There is no reason on this earth why you would have to crack open the nose of a 70 year old women PERIOD.

Administrative leave? This pr*ck should be fired and charged with assault.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 05:14 AM
link   
These things don't just happen in the US. In the UK a few old folk have been given ASBOs for feeding the birds in their gardens. If they break the rules it'll be a fine, or maybe jail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join