It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only in America - 70 year old Woman Jailed for "Neglected Lawn"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Woman Jailed for "Neglected Lawn"

Just.... wow.

I'm not sure what else I can say.

Just how petty is this?

[edit on 9/0707/07 by neformore] to correct a title mistake

[edit on 9/0707/07 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
All I can say is I hope she sues the crap out of the cop and the cop gets fired. There is no law stating you have to show your ID if a cop asks. This has been shot down by the supreme court time after time.

I would sure love to see the law that states you cannot have a dry lawn as that cop claimed.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
First of all, before anything...these types of incidents are not 'only in America'. I detest how often that's used in attempts to paint the U.S. in a bad picture. There are much much worse scenarios that go on with 'law-enforcers' in other parts of the world. Including Europe. Try to do some research.
Secondly, that officer acted alone and should receive proper punishment for his poor judgment and mishandling of something that could have been resolved in a better manner.

And why did you say 77, she's 70 in the article...not like it matters much...

[edit on 9-7-2007 by laiguana]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
There are much much worse scenarios that go on with 'law-enforcers' in other parts of the world.

Well, to be fair to myself I did avoid the screaming "POLICE STATE AMERICA" thread title, which would have probably been more appropriate considering the amount of times it gets used in conjuction with incidents in other countries that your breatheren in the states post up

Its a crazy world

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
so....it takes police brutality to get those nice "compassionate conservatives" out helping those in need?

I'm sorry, but I hear it alot...social services should be disbanded....charity groups and religious organizations can do a much better job.....

well, where were they? where were the neighbors?
we can't trust charity to even help someone out with their lawn, and people expect us to trust them with the mobs of needy, hungry people that would result if the social services net were pulled?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Originally posted by laiguana
There are much much worse scenarios that go on with 'law-enforcers' in other parts of the world.

Well, to be fair to myself I did avoid the screaming "POLICE STATE AMERICA" thread title, which would have probably been more appropriate considering the amount of times it gets used in conjuction with incidents in other countries that your breatheren in the states post up

Its a crazy world

usa is a fascistic police state..... it even arrests 70 year old woman witout proper reason....

USA=

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I once got arrested FOR watering the grass.

Mind you I was very drunk, the water was actually urine and the grass was not mine. Through the haze of alachol I think my thought process was why waste all those loverly nitrates - either that or if I don't go now i'm gonna pee me self

P.s. even though I was a difficult drunk - they did not use handcuff's, and the coppers were actually quite friendly, this US cop must of had a bad personality to start with.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
i hope they dont start chucking people in jail for not mowing their lawn in Australia.

my mower has been in the shop 3 wk, and its been nearly 7wk since my lawn was last mowed.

you know your lawn is long when your german shepherd disapears into the grass for a pee and can only be seen by his tail sticking up above the grass like a flagpole marking his location incase you need to send a search party for him.. then you hear the grass rustling as it parts to either side and reveals your dog again

She says the officer hit her with handcuffs, cutting her nose, although police insist she slipped and fell.

aah the old "slipped and fell" line, been used as a cover for everything from wife beating to murder for hundreds of years

[edit on 9/7/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by cornman1
it even arrests 70 year old woman witout proper reason....

Well they did have a reason

refused to give her name after being upbraided because her garden breached local regulations.

I'm not saying it was ok for the officer to hurt her or anything, but the cop had a reason to arrest her.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Not good enough reason, I mean basic instinct tells us thats wrong, wheres peoples manners.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by _Phoenix_]

[removed quote of entire previous post]
Mod Edit: Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-7-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
And who are you to say what is and what isn't a good reason to arrest people?

And according to the article she wasn't arrested because of her lawn, she was arrested for not cooperating with the officer. Is that a good enough reason for you?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This has got to be one of the stupidest laws in the world. Anyone involved in making this a law should be beaten and thrown in jail and have to give her a lot of money. If a cop knocked on my door and said "Sorry sir, your lawn doesn't meet city codes..." or what ever, I'd slam the door in his face.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaDewd
This has got to be one of the stupidest laws in the world.

No, there are ones much stupider

If a cop knocked on my door and said "Sorry sir, your lawn doesn't meet city codes..." or what ever, I'd slam the door in his face.

And you'd probably get the same treatment as this lady.

[edit on 9/7/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
These kind of things make me want to get out of the city and start my own farm. Get away from the damn city and these kind of idiotic laws and regulations. I would love to see a cop pull this kind of crap on my private property.

But officer didn't you see the "Violators will be shot on sight sign?"

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
And according to the article she wasn't arrested because of her lawn, she was arrested for not cooperating with the officer. Is that a good enough reason for you?

Absolutely not.

You show me the law that states I have to cooperate with an officer.

You show me the law that states I have to "show me your papers".

You show me anything other than the police are sworn to "protect and to serve".

To give you an example, I had a vehicle on my property that violated local code. I was given notice to do something about it... with 3 options. Tag/register it, fix it, remove it. Under no circumstances could I get arrested for keeping the vehicle the way I had it. The city would have taken care of it, then billed me for the work done.

I completely understand and am aware of local code and how it works. And by this article... that's not the way it works.

This is not Communist Russia. This is America.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
It is NOT a crime to refuse to give your name to a cop unless he has reasonable grounds to believe that you are under suspicion for some crime. She was at her home, in her yard and the pig should have assumed she was the owner.

BUT, that is a gray area and she would have been better off just giving her name at that time and then clamming up and getting an attorney. She did NOT have to make ANY statements or comments to the pig; she should have called a lawyer. Dealing with cops is a losing battle as they do not respect the law or the rules.

The vicious pig should be taken out and horsewhipped for what he did; a suspension is'nt enough. The lady should file state and federal lawsuits against the pig, his department for not training him properly and the city, county, etc. Sue for millions. You might not get what you deserve but this is a no brainer and a sure win in court for a suit.

This cop has the average attitude and intelligence of most cops, he is not just an anomaly. Most cops are brutal and unconcerned about the citizens and their life or health. They see ANY citizen that takes a stand as a threat to their overblown ego's and infantile power trip issues; they will beat their OWN grandmothers into the ground if they could get away with it. decency means nothing to them, the law means nothing, common sense means nothing; all that matters is if they WIN and cause grief for the citizen regardless of innocence or circumstances.

If that pig's home and job and future were gone the other vicious pigs MIGHT take notice and adjust their attitudes, maybe. But I would be thrilled to read that the cop in this case gets a lot worse than that; maybe karma will catch up with him soon and some big huge vicious bad guy gets his hands on that wimpy woman beater and turns him inside out. That would be good for a laugh; and justice for the lady too. Damn the cops and anyone who supports their brutal and illegal actions against the people.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
We are a police state and has been one for quite some time, all in the name of for the good of the people and because we are at war and fighting terrorism.

Very soon you better have your identification papers at all time or you will be arrested for no cooperating with the law enforcement.

Wait!!!!!!!!! we are at that stage already ..........

Pity when the blind can not see anymore.

We ARE a police state after all.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Did you hear about the cop in Northwest Arkansas who shot and killed a mentally retarded man for not "cooperating", while other cops stood there with drawn guns and the victim was on the ground?

The killer cop got convicted of negligent homicide, fined $1000.00USD and 30 days in jail. But he also got a medical retirement with full pension, so the fine wouldn't mean anything, and the county time he will serve will be with his friends, so he will really just have to be a "buddy" in their care for a month.

Can you spell I-n-j-u-s-t-i-c-e ?

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The justice system in this country is truly screwed up. People get arrested for frivolous garbage like not watering the garden and thrown in jail b/c of it. I was watching some random show the other day where this woman got a life sentence in prison for forgery, yet you could commit murder and still see the light of day. I really can't figure out what exactly it is that the gov't is trying to achieve by allowing murderers and rapists to run free, but giving misdemeanor crimes and the lesser felony crimes excess jail time.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
And according to the article she wasn't arrested because of her lawn, she was arrested for not cooperating with the officer.

Yeah, she should've told her name so the officer would've been sure that he's harassing the right old woman instead of a wrong one

While I don't necessarily believe that the officer hit her on purpose it doesn't change the fact that he had no business being near her iin that manner in the first place.

Perhaps he could've even asked her by name for starters since he was likely to know who owned the property he was coming to talk about.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join