It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Seven Wonders of the World??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The announcement of the New Seven Wonders of the World in Lisbon makes one to wonder about the criteria used for shortlisting and finlizing the'wonders'. 100 Million votes were cast and millions of dollars of revenue flowed. Is this the right criteria?

Below is a snippet from a news article:

The only site in Europe selected was the Colosseum. The others were: The Great Wall of China, India's Taj Mahal, Jordan's ancient city of Petra, the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu in Peru, Brazil's Statue of Christ Redeemer, and Mexico's Chichen Itza pyramid.

What happens to those monuments who deserved to be on the list but could not be included as they did not receive sufficient 'votes'. Could this have been done better with a more scientific approach?

AryanWatch

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
One thing which is baffling me is the absence of some known names in the list. How important is this new list? One obvious advantage that I can see is the huge boost in the tourist numbers to these places.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Already being discussed in this thread: The New Seven Wonders of the World.

But I think you brought up an interesting point. Getting on the final list does mean there will be a huge increase in the number of visiting tourists, and there are truly amazing temples and places that would suffer greatly under that burden.

I live in what WAS a quaint, quiet little coastal town, but now there are these disgusting, tasteless developments going up all around the edges, with 9 to 5'ers lumbering down from Melbourne on the weekends and holidays, suddenly claiming to be locals and crowding up the surf with their too-short boards and beer guts.
As I said in the other thread, Ankgor Wat didn't make the final list. In all respects it should have, but now I think about it it is a great thing it didn't. The place is already over crowded with tourists, considering that 10 years ago you had to travel around with a armed guards to defend you in case splinter Khmer Rouge cells attacked you.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Crowding of these places will come as a rude shock to people who have supported these vewry monuments. And I agree with your viewpoint cent percent. If I had a Seven Wonder contestant from my town...I would have hoped with all my heart that it doesn't become a winner.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Please add your comments to the existing thread.

Closed.

top topics

join